What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters
Thank you Silver. I have often wondered why you involve yourself on our forum and thought of you as a spy in some ways. Today I see your interest and sympathy for us Dragons fans in a genuine light. Thank you from me, a Saints/Dragons fan since 1961. You can figure I don't have the years ahead of me to see this once great Club back on its feet and competitive again.

Thanks mate, I just call it as I see it.

I’ve only properly meddled in WT affairs trying to help with our recruitment, but that all went south quickly lol.

Come what may with the board and stuff, when all is said and done, It should be a privilege to coach the dragons.

Jason Ryles knocked back the Dragons coaching job on Wednesday because the club refused to allow him to oversee all areas of football operations.

Thanks for posting.

It’s an anti-dragons piece, not objective.

There’s a presumption in it that Ryles is some kind of superman, but the reality is that he’s a rookie coach, unproven.

The club sought to reserve some of its powers (as insurance) and he refused the offer.

Bennett got more power because he was a proven winner. Notches on the belt.

Ryles expecting to be treated like Bennet, shows he’s wasn't being realistic. Too far ahead of himself. Pumped up with nonsense from his manager.

Now he thinks he’s a junior Bellamy. How is he going to defend a 64% winning percentage rate? Bellamy and Bennett are total freaks in coaching circles.

You can’t make a silk purse from a pigs ear Jason. You haven’t coached for one second.

Gus was right lads…! He’ll be living on this for years.

Jason Ryles is dead as far as SGI is concerned. He’s made his bed…

I’ve backed Des as the best available coach at the moment.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Our football club is a mirror image of the St.George Leagues Club.It is TIRED, it lacks NEW IDEAS, it is GOING NOWHERE And it needs to be DEMOLISHED It is time to hand in its licence to participate as an NRL Franchise.
. They are wasting our time to follow the joint venture.What a bloody mess.
The joint ventures do not work. The past two decades clearly shows that both the Tigers and Dragons are basket cases. The Tigers coming last in 2022 and now it is the club we follow for 2023. Both joint venture clubs have not been able to get to the top 8 many times since being merged. Both have poorly run administrations and plenty of in fighting, hard to resolve issues, hard to reaching decisions.

If we were banished, it would be good so that we can start all over again in the very distant future when people will be holidaying on the moon.

My crystal ball is dimming and I can hardly see anything great happening for some time.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think Ryles was genuinly interested is us, but things changed when he was "sacked" from the Roosters. That opened up an opportunity at the Storm, and it was a better opportunity than we could offer.
This most probably changed things for Jason.

I started to lose interest in Rylesy maybe 3-4 weeks ago. He just didn't look the ideal fit to me. His role at the Roosters just wasn't cutting the mustard and the Roosters were leaking too many tries the last 18 months with him as their assistant defence coach. He couldn't get the Roosters to stop us beating them, haha! Not all of us were convinced that he would be the best choice, it was because we didn't know and still don't know who is still in the mix.

I think that he would have been all at sea with us and was uncertain as to whether he should sign with us because of the enormity of the job at hand and then having the Storm come back to him with a counter offer was far more attractive for him and a no brainer. He would have jumped at the chance to agree to go back to the Storm where he knows the systems, Bellamy and management.

The new coach who actually signs with us and not pulling out at the last minute and actually wanting to coach us because he likes the club will also find things tough. I'm sure everyone knows this, but provided he can build the team and get some autonomy and have the chance to select his sidekicks who also want to be at the Dragons, then we start all over and hope that it won't take forever again to get us heading in the right direction.

Dragon David

First Grade
Thanks for posting.

There’s a presumption in it that Ryles is some kind of superman, but the reality is that he’s a rookie coach, unproven.

The club sought to reserve some of its powers (as insurance) and he refused the offer.

Ryles expecting to be treated like Bennet, shows he’s wasn't being realistic. Too far ahead of himself. Pumped up with nonsense from his manager.

Now he thinks he’s a junior Bellamy. How is he going to defend a 64% winning percentage rate? Bellamy and Bennett are total freaks in coaching circles.

You can’t make a silk purse from a pigs ear Jason. You haven’t coached for one second.

All as you say Silverdale. Whoever was backing Ryles to get the job must have been ringing their hands with delight just this time yesterday and getting ready to collect on their winnings, but alas there has been a fall ladies and gentlemen and the "almost" winner becomes a spectre to the StGI joint venture and never to grace the hallowed halls of the Taj ever again.

All as you say Silverdale. Whoever was backing Ryles to get the job must have been ringing their hands with delight just this time yesterday and getting ready to collect on their winnings, but alas there has been a fall ladies and gentlemen and the "almost" winner becomes a spectre to the StGI joint venture and never to grace the hallowed halls of the Taj ever again.

I think there was a hope by some for a “return triumphant” and all that “buying back the farm.”

That’s what got at wt and it was all rubbish and has left us with 2 from 12 or something.

Then you, me, @justadragon and most others were saying, yeah but only on the right terms.

And if they are met, fine.

And interestingly, this is exactly what it seems the club has done. It’s basically applied a handbrake to protect itself where it thinks it needs to.

Let’s say he accepted 4 years on limited powers. If things went badly, for reasons beyond his control, he could easily identify that and argue his case for more freedom and resources.

Club powerbrokers would know that he has kept up his part of the bargain and might say “ sure” we will give you more power.

And if he’s going well with the limited powers then there’s no reason to change anything and the world is good.

But he wants to be treated like Bennett and Bellamy.

Remarkable.

He’s an idiot.

Last edited:

dungay dragon

Juniors
Better than both Young & Hornby with far more experience in NRL plus QLD Origin Assistant Coach. They say he’s the brains to QLD Origin tactics.
Coffs
Agree on Hannay over the other 2 , But can he attract players to the Dragons ?
Just thinking Flanno or Hasler preferred in the mess we are in , and will both attract players in a major recruitment drive .........

I hope there’s no panic in the process now, the club has to stay composed.

There’s still the spectre of signings though. It was mentioned earlier, you need to dip your toe in early if you can.

Surely there’s a couple of players out there who can fit in to any squad, with any coach and add some kind of value?

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Coffs
Agree on Hannay over the other 2 , But can he attract players to the Dragons ?
Just thinking Flanno or Hasler preferred in the mess we are in , and will both attract players in a major recruitment drive .........
DD seems Ciraldo had no problem attracting players to the Dogs with some heavy hitters calling the shots.
We have a low level goose in Haran calling the shots as GM of Football, so attracting decent players will be impossible.
Not even Jesus as Coach, could operate with this burden.
We need Richo and Brownie to right the ship in the right direction.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
I agree appoint Richo and Brown and leave Carr there until a quality coach comes along. Who knows Carr might turn out OK
Guys I like what what you have stated, it’s pretty simple your divided board will never agree to those appointments because it’s takes their power away.
Bennett did it they hated it that’s why for 12 years everyone has had to eat shit. We need Paul Smith to buy out WIN Corp and create one club and get rid all the shit that sit in the boardroom it is a an open business isn’t.

getsmarty

Immortal
Thanks for posting.

Always respect your input @The Silverdale Phantom .

In this instance..

They already passed on DH for the same reasons....

Ryles was the best of the rookie coaches available ..their top target and like fitzgibbon they have missed out...

nothing will change because allegedly they refuse to give full autonomy to incoming coach...

That is the issue in a nutshell.

Des is not coming ...

hornby or young unless they somehow do a complete 360...

thebigredv

First Grade

Latest posts