What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

bathtime

Juniors
My coaching tip.
Run in to celebrate a try- yes.
Jump on the try scorer who is facing away from you, then stacks on- no.
There is enough contact in this game no one needs an additional couple of 100 kilos landing on you randomly when you are not expecting it, really good for back injuries. When souths scored a couple came in with back pats maybe they are thinking that already.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Two options for me.
Shaun Flanigan. Premiership winner. Can coach. Backbone to win a comp.
Dean Young has a bit of backbone. He might of learnt something at the cowboys.
Nobody else deserves a mention.
You lost me at DYoung he is McGregor Mk II, the board will have way too much loyalty to him to sack him, they would keep giving him extensions hoping that he succeeds, he will become another anchor around the clubs neck, agree re Flanagan he is my choice followed by Des..

Coffs dragon

Bench
For me I can only see the Dragons consider 3 strong coaching options in order:

1. Des Hasler - highly experienced & multi premiership winner as both player & coach
  2. Josh Hannay - smart younger outside option with a reputation on the rise & also the assistant QLD coach to Slater
  3. Ben Hornby - Dragon blood & ex club captain with a great & successful apprenticeship to Bennett & Demetriou.
I do not consider Flanagan or Dean Young as candidates as they carry some form of baggage.

Ryles will hang out for the Storm HC under Bellamy still overseeing.

Last edited:

SnowDragon

Juniors
Hasler is probably a decent choice, but his had issues with salary cap and management that could cause issues. Has me a little nervous.

Flanagan made an impact in coaching imho. Dufty was an example of this. A few years ago I said no, regardless of his success at Cronulla, today I approve. Listening to his commentary was probably the point in difference. He (like Hasler) is one of the few that can a age our boards.

Shaun Wane was my choice when we got hook, and I think he is a reasonable choice given what I’ve heard. Could help attract some poms, is hard nosed to deal with players and board, and his record is good. Just not sure how he would go with our young fellas, would need appropriate assistants.

young crowd, Ryles, Hornby and Young… all unproven and I’m not convinced they can manage the boards. Young May fracture the saints / Illawarra factions as well, which has me super nervous.

our current assistants so far have my support. Could be one of them could be groomed for the future job under an experienced coach? But I only say this based on improvements this year and short interviews.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Hasler is probably a decent choice, but his had issues with salary cap and management that could cause issues. Has me a little nervous.

Flanagan made an impact in coaching imho. Dufty was an example of this. A few years ago I said no, regardless of his success at Cronulla, today I approve. Listening to his commentary was probably the point in difference. He (like Hasler) is one of the few that can a age our boards.

Shaun Wane was my choice when we got hook, and I think he is a reasonable choice given what I’ve heard. Could help attract some poms, is hard nosed to deal with players and board, and his record is good. Just not sure how he would go with our young fellas, would need appropriate assistants.

young crowd, Ryles, Hornby and Young… all unproven and I’m not convinced they can manage the boards. Young May fracture the saints / Illawarra factions as well, which has me super nervous.

our current assistants so far have my support. Could be one of them could be groomed for the future job under an experienced coach? But I only say this based on improvements this year and short interviews.
Keep hearing this comment re Hasler, i don't see it as an issue, he is told to coach the side and not involved with salary cap and management, he coaches can give opinion on which players he wants to sign but has no involvement with the contracts etc..

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Keep hearing this comment re Hasler, i don't see it as an issue, he is told to coach the side and not involved with salary cap and management, he coaches can give opinion on which players he wants to sign but has no involvement with the contracts etc..

I think this is an important point, particularly around how a contract is structured.

If we look at the former premiership winning coaches ie Hasler, Flanagan and Maguire, each have had some 'issues'. Each would be itching to take up a HC role.

However, which one would accept a heavily loaded contract? Like just come and coach!

I really believe a rookie coach will serve us no good as they will become just a puppet.
So, for mine, an experienced, premiership winning coach is our only way out.

Drill down on each of those currently available:

Hasler: 56% win ratio
Maguire: 55% win ratio (not including coach NZ at 67%)
Flanagan: 55%

Each very similar,but which one?

Parko1310

Juniors
The only issue with that is that I feel whoever the next coach may be, we need to back them, and I think the likes of Haran will go in with a similar mindset, especially initially. Will some of our people in charge have the bottle to say no to Des occasionally if spending is getting excessive?

I'm a little hesitant to decide who I'd want as coach, because realistically we don't know what any of the potential candidates have in mind for the future of our club and we don't know their ideas as to how they want to play, recruit, build junior systems, etc. So for that reason I'll hold off judgement. In an ideal world where Des had no bearing on contracts, but had say in recruitment he may be the best option I would tend to agree.

RedVDave

First Grade
If there was any further proof needed our board is out of touch we approach someone who has coached 1 year 3 games for 2 wins & 1 loss

Lol dear oh dear don't know what's worse the fact we approached him or the fact he turned us down.

justadragon

Bench
This was an old media article in regards to Des Hasler, after Manly signed him to return.
If his management of the Salary cap was so bad, why would they re-hire him for a 2nd stint & the owner claim Des was a Master in cap management.
Good research CD, as I have said previously , he is not the only one at a club that has his hands all over the cap, its a decision and management process as well, several people involved.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I don’t mean to sound like a broken record, but Des Hasler
Has a mighty fine resume compared to any others.
2 premierships as a player, represented both NSW & Australia multiple times & learnt from Bob Fulton (An Immortal) as his long term coach at Manly.
2 premierships as a coach at Manly
And if that’s not enough he was a graduate & qualified teacher in physical education.
Surely our idiots can see that’s a major improvement on Price, Mary, Hook groundhog decade.

Latest posts