What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

hewi

Bench
RYLES AND DRAGONS CLOSE TO A MATCH

Mayhem in Wollongong this week. Heads were sighted rolling down Crown Street. The whisper around WIN Stadium was that Ben Hunt and Zac Lomax couldn’t wait to find the exit. Anywhere but the Dragons.
St George Illawarra, we were told, were in disarray. A basket case in the eyes of some. Coach Anthony Griffin was sacked after a six-game losing streak that left the once mighty Dragons mired in 16th spot, above only the lowly Wests Tigers.
Oh the humanity. Amid the carnage, the search began for a saviour began and it quickly landed on one man – Sydney Roosters assistant and former Dragons enforcer Jason Ryles.
Why, some were asking, would Ryles want a piece of this. Just be patient Jason, was the advice. You’re worked too hard to waste your talents in Wollongong. Surely something better will come along if you hold fire and back yourself.
Here’s the thing though. Maybe it won’t.
Perhaps the Dragons aren’t as bad as they appear. Clearly Ryles can see a sliver of hope amid the wreckage, beyond the promise of a long-term deal and a lucrative pay packet. The fish rots at the top is the old saying, and fingers were pointed at the Dragons board, apparently at war and divided down St George and WIN lines.
Yet a board that was split found a way to unite to dismiss Griffin.
The same board came together to determine that Ryles was their preferred option to replace Griffin and are fast moving towards striking a deal with one of their former stars when many thought he would run a mile.
Ryles has done his due diligence. He has taken a look under the bonnet and while he harbours concerns, he can also see some blue sky amid the grey clouds.
The Dragons have a side built to a large extent around local juniors and the production line shows no signs of slowing down.
They have a balance sheet that is in the black thanks to a $10 million turnaround over the last four years. Under the terms of the joint venture agreement, it is understood profits are not accessed by the owners, but ploughed back into the club.
It means Ryles will have money to spend on beefing up his football department and support staff. At the end of next year, the club will have access to a $40 million Centre of Excellence.
The best part of all – the site is only a couple of kilometres from Ryles’ home in Wollongong. Importantly, they are willing to give him time to turn the club around. They want their next coach to be at the club for a decade.
Patience will be required but Ryles will be given it. Maybe not a five-year deal, but close enough.
Time though isn’t on his side when it comes to Hunt, who is at a crossroads as he contemplates events of recent weeks.
No one could blame the Queensland star and Dragons skipper for walking away.
As the club sleepwalked through its coaching decision over the opening two months of the season, Hunt was the talking head who was forced to confront the media on a weekly basis. He did it manfully, but it has taken a toll.
He made no secret of his support for Griffin and it has been noticeable during the week that he has wanted time to digest recent events before speaking publicly.
The suggestion is that Canterbury are closely watching events unfold, head of football Phil Gould having had a lash at Hunt late last year.
This column recently documented the meeting between the pair at a Brighton cafe as Hunt was weighing up whether to stay at the Dragons or seek greener pastures.
Gould and Hunt met for close to an hour where money and terms were never discussed. Instead, they talked about football and Gould offered an open invitation – if Hunt was interested in joining the Bulldogs, the door was always ajar.
Hunt ultimately signed a new deal at the Dragons but the latest ructions and the axing of Griffin have put clubs back on alert. They can sniff an opening, although it is understood Hunt has privately told senior figures that he is committed to the Dragons.
Ryles will want a firm commitment no doubt if and when he arrives. If Hunt isn’t happy, Ryles and the club should let him leave. He has given them great service and he is their best player, but no-one is indispensable and his salary could be invested elsewhere.
Some clarity is needed and Dragons officials want it as much as anyone. They may have dawdled when it came to Griffin but they are moving fast on his replacement.
So fast, it would be no surprise if a deal was struck with Ryles over the weekend. He is genuinely interested in the Dragons and the feeling is reciprocated. It isn’t all doom and gloom at St George Illawarra.
A deal is likely imminent. The sooner the better for all concerned.

Yow

Juniors
RYLES AND DRAGONS CLOSE TO A MATCH

Mayhem in Wollongong this week. Heads were sighted rolling down Crown Street. The whisper around WIN Stadium was that Ben Hunt and Zac Lomax couldn’t wait to find the exit. Anywhere but the Dragons.
St George Illawarra, we were told, were in disarray. A basket case in the eyes of some. Coach Anthony Griffin was sacked after a six-game losing streak that left the once mighty Dragons mired in 16th spot, above only the lowly Wests Tigers.
Oh the humanity. Amid the carnage, the search began for a saviour began and it quickly landed on one man – Sydney Roosters assistant and former Dragons enforcer Jason Ryles.
Why, some were asking, would Ryles want a piece of this. Just be patient Jason, was the advice. You’re worked too hard to waste your talents in Wollongong. Surely something better will come along if you hold fire and back yourself.
Here’s the thing though. Maybe it won’t.
Perhaps the Dragons aren’t as bad as they appear. Clearly Ryles can see a sliver of hope amid the wreckage, beyond the promise of a long-term deal and a lucrative pay packet. The fish rots at the top is the old saying, and fingers were pointed at the Dragons board, apparently at war and divided down St George and WIN lines.
Yet a board that was split found a way to unite to dismiss Griffin.
The same board came together to determine that Ryles was their preferred option to replace Griffin and are fast moving towards striking a deal with one of their former stars when many thought he would run a mile.
Ryles has done his due diligence. He has taken a look under the bonnet and while he harbours concerns, he can also see some blue sky amid the grey clouds.
The Dragons have a side built to a large extent around local juniors and the production line shows no signs of slowing down.
They have a balance sheet that is in the black thanks to a $10 million turnaround over the last four years. Under the terms of the joint venture agreement, it is understood profits are not accessed by the owners, but ploughed back into the club.
It means Ryles will have money to spend on beefing up his football department and support staff. At the end of next year, the club will have access to a $40 million Centre of Excellence.
The best part of all – the site is only a couple of kilometres from Ryles’ home in Wollongong. Importantly, they are willing to give him time to turn the club around. They want their next coach to be at the club for a decade.
Patience will be required but Ryles will be given it. Maybe not a five-year deal, but close enough.
Time though isn’t on his side when it comes to Hunt, who is at a crossroads as he contemplates events of recent weeks.
No one could blame the Queensland star and Dragons skipper for walking away.
As the club sleepwalked through its coaching decision over the opening two months of the season, Hunt was the talking head who was forced to confront the media on a weekly basis. He did it manfully, but it has taken a toll.
He made no secret of his support for Griffin and it has been noticeable during the week that he has wanted time to digest recent events before speaking publicly.
The suggestion is that Canterbury are closely watching events unfold, head of football Phil Gould having had a lash at Hunt late last year.
This column recently documented the meeting between the pair at a Brighton cafe as Hunt was weighing up whether to stay at the Dragons or seek greener pastures.
Gould and Hunt met for close to an hour where money and terms were never discussed. Instead, they talked about football and Gould offered an open invitation – if Hunt was interested in joining the Bulldogs, the door was always ajar.
Hunt ultimately signed a new deal at the Dragons but the latest ructions and the axing of Griffin have put clubs back on alert. They can sniff an opening, although it is understood Hunt has privately told senior figures that he is committed to the Dragons.
Ryles will want a firm commitment no doubt if and when he arrives. If Hunt isn’t happy, Ryles and the club should let him leave. He has given them great service and he is their best player, but no-one is indispensable and his salary could be invested elsewhere.
Some clarity is needed and Dragons officials want it as much as anyone. They may have dawdled when it came to Griffin but they are moving fast on his replacement.
So fast, it would be no surprise if a deal was struck with Ryles over the weekend. He is genuinely interested in the Dragons and the feeling is reciprocated. It isn’t all doom and gloom at St George Illawarra.
A deal is likely imminent. The sooner the better for all concerned.
Well written Hewi .Now come on supporters that stopped going to games and being members get to the games join up as members together we can all help to make our club great again . Bigger crowds and more members attracts more sponsors and maybe we can get some 3rd party deals.

possm

Coach
I've always held the view that great players don't always end up being good coaches e.g. Mary but sometimes it does happen that good players become great coaches e.g. Bennett.

If I had a say, I would pass on a rooky coach until the Club had a squad of players who are talented and well-drilled; a group of players who have the club up in the top 4 teams of the competition.

So for me, our next coach should have a track record of coaching a team to win a grand final at NRL level.

shazam

Juniors
I've always held the view that great players don't always end up being good coaches e.g. Mary but sometimes it does happen that good players become great coaches e.g. Bennett.

If I had a say, I would pass on a rooky coach until the Club had a squad of players who are talented and well-drilled; a group of players who have the club up in the top 4 teams of the competition.

So for me, our next coach should have a track record of coaching a team to win a grand final at NRL level.

Totally agree

Rocket Rod

Juniors
I hadn’t thought about Carr much until he came into the spotlight this week and from what I saw and heard from him last night I feel that there could be a good coach in the future. I hope that whoever comes in doesn’t discard him and he remains at the club in an assistant capacity. He reminds me of Demetriou and we saw what happened there.

qld redvee

Juniors
It was a great win for you last night against a class outfit.

Just what the doctor ordered after some club turbulence.

I liked the resilience and the last try in particular.

Superbly executed, clutch attack.

It meant a lot to the players and staff.
Silverware, I can tell you that it meant a lot to us supporters as well...
Players showed guts and pride in the jersy how fantastic that was

Silverware, I can tell you that it meant a lot to us supporters as well...
Players showed guts and pride in the jersy how fantastic that was

Yep. They stayed the distance. Congratulations.

As for its impact on the coaching situation, it sends the message to Rylesy that he’d best not be too precious, because there’s still some life in this squad under the much maligned interim coaching management too.

Robbo wanted that game badly. It was supposed to kick start a rooster resurgence. A beating within an inch of your lives was supposedly on the cards.

If you were flogged, Rylesy could expect his 5 years, $1m, 30 coaching staff and private hot dog cooker.

That’s all looking a tad ambitious now.

SGI gets a bit more power back in the negotiating stakes. Timely.

I’ll just remind everyone, the roosters squad are the envy of many. Strike all over the park.

You can now say; “3 years Rylesy? We will get back to you!”

Last edited:

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Yep. They stayed the distance. Congratulations.

As for its impact on the coaching situation, it sends the message to Rylesy that he’d best not be too precious, because there’s still some life in this squad under the much maligned interim coaching management too.

Robbo wanted that game badly. It was supposed to kick start a rooster resurgence. A beating within an inch of your lives was supposedly on the cards.

If you were flogged, Rylesy could expect his 5 years, $1m, 30 coaching staff and private hot dog cooker.

That’s all looking a tad ambitious now.

SGI gets a bit more power back in the negotiating stakes. Timely.

I’ll just remind everyone, the roosters squad are the envy of many. Strike all over the park.

You can now say; “3 years Rylesy? We will get back to you!”
I'm prepared to offer him room on the top shelf of the communal pie warmer. Not sure about the rest.

You could muck him around a bit.

“ Lost your application”

“ your working with kids certificate hasn’t arrived yet”

“ the paperwork is being reviewed by Mary”

If you make the finals with this squad and current coach, you may not need a new coach.

Only 6 more wins to save the season, something like that. Not impossible after what we saw.

Rylesy may be off to the Titans

Draginzaaar

Bench

All coaches were rookie coaches once.

Dragon David

First Grade
It was a great win for you last night against a class outfit.

Just what the doctor ordered after some club turbulence.

I liked the resilience and the last try in particular.

Superbly executed, clutch attack.

It meant a lot to the players and staff.
Hey Silverdale

Congrats to you and the team. A great win breaking all records and good result for Brooksy to celebrate his 200th game for the Tigers. Too bad we couldn't do it for Ben Hunt for his 300th game. Both against the Cowboys. We were very unfortunate in that game as the Cowboys got the upper hand and scored 3 tries while we had one player in the bin.

The Tigers are off the bottom of the ladder and I think they will be getting further away from it while we could be struggling to move away from it.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Whether it's a rookie coach or an experienced coach, the key is how they 'gel' the team.

Experienced coaches like Bennet and Bellamy can get their teams up and going. Bennet obviously has that band of, basically, players that other clubs were happy to let go, although last night the were a little "at sea" pardon the pun.

Then there's rookie coaches such as Fitzgibbon, who seems to have the right formula for the Sharks.

Experienced coaches can also have their down years as well. Take Robinson and the Roosters, they are struggling atm and the Bye for them can't come soon enough. They then play the Dogs 4 days after origin which may be rather tricky for them. Last years Grand finalists in the Eels, and even the Tigers (yes they have picked up recently) , have vastly experienced coaches at the helm, yet are anchored to the bottom half of the table. We could add in Griffin as well as an 'experienced' coach and look where we are.

Speaking of the Dogs, they have rookie coach extraordinaire in Ciraldo, but are playing today to get off the bottom of the ladder. who would have thought that given their 'spending spree' to lure just about everyone.

As the old adage goes: A star team will always outshine a team of stars.

The Dogs are a prime example of being a team of stars.

So, a rookie or an experienced coach? either way it doesn't worry me, what does, is whether they can 'gel' the team and make them into a 'star team'. That is the one major question I would ask each candidate.

Hey Silverdale

Congrats to you and the team. A great win breaking all records and good result for Brooksy to celebrate his 200th game for the Tigers. Too bad we couldn't do it for Ben Hunt for his 300th game. Both against the Cowboys. We were very unfortunate in that game as the Cowboys got the upper hand and scored 3 tries while we had one player in the bin.

The Tigers are off the bottom of the ladder and I think they will be getting further away from it while we could be struggling to move away from it.

Cheers, you found a way against a much more formidable side.

I was pleased you won, even if we had to languish at the bottom for awhile.

Robbo said that “ he enjoyed the game” I’m sure he did, but not the result.

It was a strange comment, reminiscent of Adam OBrien occasional insights.

I think the cows didn’t take us seriously. I can understand why.

Anyway, it’s good news for both clubs!

Im still Des or Rylesy on 3, club option for the extra 2 now!

There’s no need for 5 on what I understand of his career. No one knows if he’s been recently approached for 5 from someone else either.

So unless there’s a genuine competitor for 5, right now, your board should chill.

Carr has done everyone a big favour, a dog in the fight now!

My only fear would be a sudden strike by the Titans on Rylesy to send Holbrook on his way.

Which is a long shot, but they shouldn’t have got run down by an unconvincing dogs outfit that has been underperforming all season.

Add to that Holbrooks troubled win % in the nrl. It’s a shocker.

Which is not to say I don’t like him, but he’s simply not coping.

Relatively, this is not Robbos best season either, reflecting poorly on his assistants. I had them top 4 at the start of the year. The whole show has gone spinning off the rails. The loss against the panthers was especially ugly and pushing catastrophic.

Im not sure about Newcastle, but they could be the next threat to sgi for Ryles. But they will be gun shy too I think.

I’d only be offering 5 years if others were doing the same. I just don’t see it right now. I don’t know for a fact, but it doesn’t make sense.

I’d like to think coaches do everything they can ( or can think of) to get the most number of players reaching the optimum at every game in the many ways they can.

Otherwise, it’s a bit unprofessional.

It follows that there’s no point giving coaches any finals or top 4 bonus, because the juice is already being extracted to the maximum.

Otherwise you are accepting that they will do a worse job without the extra.

Hasler had that famous “ you get signed for an extra year” if you top 8 in 2021 ( ie past 2022 and for 2023) clause and here he is without a club.

So it all collapsed.

I think it was more than rainbow gate, he spent days ignoring club officials or something.

Geez he’s tough!

Ps: 7 people have to change their vote on the poll

Last edited: