What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

twinkletoes

Juniors
The more I hear of Ryles the less convinced I am he is the right choice. He's been the Roosters defence coach for the last 2 years..and that's gone downhill since Fitzgibbon left. There's talk the Roosters currently have a lack of leadership causing some of their issues and that Fitzgibbon provided a lot of that off field direction. Ryles has the same pedigree as Adam O'Brien and look how thats going..I just don't understand the spin on Ryles.

If reports are true Dragons management have not even talked to Flanaghan....thats not doing due diligence when it comes to selecting a coach.

George Mimis who manages Ryles, Hornby and Hasler has stated Hasler is by far the best credentialed coach available. Phil Gould...love him or hate him has stated Hasler is who the Dragons need just at the moment and not someone that has come from within the system..

I am getting worried we are jumping into the fire too quickly..

since77

Juniors
The more I hear of Ryles the less convinced I am he is the right choice. He's been the Roosters defence coach for the last 2 years..and that's gone downhill since Fitzgibbon left. There's talk the Roosters currently have a lack of leadership causing some of their issues and that Fitzgibbon provided a lot of that off field direction. Ryles has the same pedigree as Adam O'Brien and look how thats going..I just don't understand the spin on Ryles.

If reports are true Dragons management have not even talked to Flanaghan....thats not doing due diligence when it comes to selecting a coach.

George Mimis who manages Ryles, Hornby and Hasler has stated Hasler is by far the best credentialed coach available. Phil Gould...love him or hate him has stated Hasler is who the Dragons need just at the moment and not someone that has come from within the system..

I’m with you on this one. So much risk with a completely unknown coach. And it’s disgracefully incompetent that they haven’t even at least had a conversation with Flanagan, he should at the very least be on the shortlist of candidates. This is a board that is perfectly capable of f#cking up its 4th straight coaching appointment. Wouldn’t surprise me if they hadn’t talked to Hasler either. These are the same clueless morons who extended Price, McGregor and then Griffin. It’s almost inevitable that they stuff this one up too.

Hasler is my preferred choice too, subject to 3 years.

Which raises the question of salary, terms and conditions, if he’s interested.

I heard a whisper they met with him 6 weeks ago.

Either way, every genuine candidate should be interviewed, if anything, it makes them compete amongst themselves and helps the club understand expectations and what’s in peoples minds.

Then the club can compare and contrast the candidates.

Coaches records speak for themselves, but a prospective coach may be able to present other information such as who they think are good players on the market, observations on the current side ( that can be passed on to current crew), all kinds of things.

Don’t do what we did and bin everyone’s application without hearing them out. It’s nice to win by a big margin, but it’s a long season and a lot of those points would have helped us spread out in some close games.

I appreciate it’s a bit of trouble, but make the decision on best information obtainable.

That’s what we do at work. Sometimes, sure, we don’t find a suitable candidate and have to re organise from from within. If Carr has threaded the needle, and can keep on, maybe you delay the appointment.

Time will tell, but another string to the bow or potential option. He spoke well after the match.

And Ben Hunt rose to the occasion. Leadership.

possm

Coach
Yep. They stayed the distance. Congratulations.

As for its impact on the coaching situation, it sends the message to Rylesy that he’d best not be too precious, because there’s still some life in this squad under the much maligned interim coaching management too.

Robbo wanted that game badly. It was supposed to kick start a rooster resurgence. A beating within an inch of your lives was supposedly on the cards.

If you were flogged, Rylesy could expect his 5 years, $1m, 30 coaching staff and private hot dog cooker.

That’s all looking a tad ambitious now.

SGI gets a bit more power back in the negotiating stakes. Timely.

I’ll just remind everyone, the roosters squad are the envy of many. Strike all over the park.

You can now say; “3 years Rylesy? We will get back to you!”
I'd forget about Ryles, mainly because he is a rookie. I give Hasler the terms he is looking for and be confident he will turn things around while at the same time, attract some stars to our squad without paying overs.

With Brown performing the recruitment/retention/pathways role, all that would be needed at the Football level, is the appointment of an experienced person to occupy the Head of Football position.

In addition, I believe the BOD should just give the Football Department a budget that includes the salary cap and then hold them to account for the performance of the Department.

justadragon

Bench
Its hard to make out what is going on atm, firstly there was strong mail that the storm were chasing him to replace Bellamy, and they dont make too many mistakes. Then that went off the boil with I assume Bellamy signing on for another year and Slater coming into the picture. Now the Roosters are punting Ryles at the end of the season regardless. In my mind I think the deal is done with Ryles, otherwise they wouldnt have punted Hook, I mean we were already at the bottom of the table, but maybe more damage would have been done. Really I would like to see a Hasler / Ryles combination with Ryles taking over in 3 years and Hasler becoming the GM. But right now we have to get Richarson and Brown for me that is a must.

Dragon David

First Grade

As an assistant, Fitzy has done better for the Roosters than Ryles for the period Ryles has been with them 2022 and almost half of 2023 and by what has been reported, he will not be there in 2024 even if he doesn't get the Dragons job. I think that the Roosters have realised that Ryles has not produced the right solutions and results as the assistant defence coach and as you say Twinkletoes, he may not be providing a lot of the off field direction that Fitzy had.

Fitzy though had a much longer tenure as a player and assistant coach at the Roosters and he did help Robinson secure three Premierships (2013, 2018, 2019), four Minor Premierships (2013, 2014, 2015, 2018), an Auckland Nines title (2017) as well as three World Club Challenges (2014, 2019, 2020) as an assistant coach. So Ryles at the Roosters is in plenty of ways an anti-climax.

Fitzy's association with the Roosters started in 2000 when Gould brought him over to them from the St George Ilawarra Dragons joint venture. In 2002 he won a premiership under Ricky Stuart as a player and he killed it for years at that club as a player and assistant coach. Very much held in high esteem and such a pity we could not land him before we ended up with Hook.

Ryles helped Bellamy as an assistant defence coach to win the 2017 and 2020 grand finals before going over to the UK to help Eddie Jones's British Lions Rugby Team.

So overall this small comparison of Ryles and Fitzgibbon shows that Fitzy has done far better and that is why he has been able to get consistently good results with the Sharks.

I do think then that Hasler would be a good preference as we do need someone who has been there and done that and has the experience as an actual head coach and a successful one at that. He has only coached two teams Manly - winning premierships with them and the Bulldogs - able to coach them to play in 2 grand finals and in semis and top 8 in his time there.

Hasler is a tough and a no nonsense coach who would not have favourites so his selection of a team would be based on the best players all of the time. I think that he can lure some better players to the club and he should be able to fit in with the Dragons culture and will express himself the way he sees it.

So, while I was thinking Ryles would be the coach, I'm leaning to Hasler.

possm

Coach

Either way, every genuine candidate should be interviewed, if anything, it makes them compete amongst themselves and helps the club understand expectations and what’s in peoples minds.

Coaches records speak for themselves, but a prospective coach may be able to present other information such as who they think are good players on the market, observations on the current side ( that can be passed on to current crew), all kinds of things.

Don’t do what we did and bin everyone’s application without hearing them out. It’s nice to win by a big margin, but it’s a long season and a lot of those points would have helped us spread out in some close games.

I appreciate it’s a bit of trouble, but make the decision on best information obtainable.

That’s what we do at work. Sometimes, sure, we don’t find a suitable candidate and have to re organise from from within. If Carr has threaded the needle, and can keep on, maybe you delay the appointment.

Time will tell, but another string to the bow or potential option. He spoke well after the match.

There is no comparison between Ryles and Hasler. The only thing Ryles has going for himself is that he is an old boy; he did not even win a GF as a player. So sign up Hasler and only look to sign an old boy as head coach :
1. After the player has earned his stripes as a head coach, and
2. Once the Dragons are a top 4 team in the competition..

I'd forget about Ryles, mainly because he is a rookie. I give Hasler the terms he is looking for and be confident he will turn things around while at the same time, attract some stars to our squad without paying overs.

With Brown performing the recruitment/retention/pathways role, all that would be needed at the Football level, is the appointment of an experienced person to occupy the Head of Football position.

In addition, I believe the BOD should just give the Football Department a budget that includes the salary cap and then hold them to account for the performance of the Department.

Good post.

I’m not sure Browny is the answer r&r, sounds a bit old boy and matey.

He didn’t exactly set the world alight as a coach either.

Maybe poach a person who is currently in the r&r position from one of the top clubs.

They would have their finger on the pulse.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Maybe the odds on favourite had got the wobbles and they are reconsidering other 'bleeds red and white' options.

Personally, this is getting to a critical level. The door for 2024 recruitment and retention will soon close as the cellar dwellers seldom get their hands on the quality they need to lift them up.

Illusion

Bench

x2 ....... and you can add another X4 on that ........ I have stated before , if its a rookie Id prefer Hornby , on a 2 year deal ...... I really dont know why lots think he will be a good coach , he may turn out to be but 5 years he is wanting , not sure ...... At least Hornby has captained a side and seemed to be a people manager on and off the park , which is needed to coach .......

Last edited:

Phantom V

Juniors

If we’re to believe that they met up with Hasler 6 weeks ago, why no follow up? Did he get cold feet or was he asking for too much control? Why aren’t we hearing anything re Hasler?

It’s all speculation at this stage, however he would be my first choice, followed by Flannigan and if the poll is anything to go by 70% of us agree that we should be chasing a Premiership winning coach.

Nothing against Ryles and he may turn out to be a good coach but we can’t afford to take that risk in my opinion.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
The club has had every opportunity to sign Hasler or Flanagan if they wanted to. They haven't, so, sorry Possm, I think that ship has sailed. Barring an absolute bolt from left field I think Ryles is signed as the next coach, for good or bad. Assuming Ryles gets the job, and that the contract has a few performance based requirements, then I am prepared to give him my full support.
Mind you, I said something similar when Hook was appointed, but he didn't fulfil his end of the deal so........ my support vanished.

mattchuot

Juniors
I use to be a big supporter of Flanno based on his experience of bringing the Sharks back from the brink. But something that has changed my mind recently is it hasn’t been only our board who has passed him up. The Tigers and Warriors had every chance to make him their HC but did not. That’s 3 organisations including our own that have done their homework and decided he isn’t it. Can’t be a coincidence.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
What have been the main issues with this club?

1. Board
2. Salary cap management
3. Culture

Des Hasler main issues
1. Communication with the board
2. Salary cap management

Des Hasler is not the right choice for this club. His weaknesses are exactly the problems at this club. It would be a poor choice.

Flanno issue
1. Abiding by NRL rules

We've already have a rocky relationship with NRL HQ due to our players off-field decisions. Flanno with his rocky relationship with NRL HQ doesn't help.

saintmar

Juniors
Good post.

I’m not sure Browny is the answer r&r, sounds a bit old boy and matey.

He didn’t exactly set the world alight as a coach either.

Maybe poach a person who is currently in the r&r position from one of the top clubs.

They would have their finger on the pulse.
Browny is the right man for this role.He is one of the best if not the best at identifying talent