What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

56to66

Juniors
People dislike Doust, but remember this, doust is on the St George Dragons side of the equation, I am happy for him to stay!
I just hope he Changes his mind on Flanno

SAP58

Juniors
I felt sorry for Ryan Webb having to answer that question about Doust. He was very diplomatic, but probably has some very different view that he can’t express on radio.
He speaks well for a puppet anyway.
Yes a tough one for him to answer but I did like his confirmation Flanagan is back in the mix. IMO he is now our best candidate he is desperate for a head coaching role again having missed out on so many after is past misdemeanors and he will be desperate for success (not that others would'nt be) but I think we need experience at the moment & I guess everyone deserves a 2nd chance. Just my view.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Yes a tough one for him to answer but I did like his confirmation Flanagan is back in the mix. IMO he is now our best candidate he is desperate for a head coaching role again having missed out on so many after is past misdemeanors and he will be desperate for success (not that others would'nt be) but I think we need experience at the moment & I guess everyone deserves a 2nd chance. Just my view.
I agree and he also has contacts & friends in the media working for Fox Sports & 2GB radio.
Very handy to have pals & not enemies to use to his and the clubs benefit.

Thanks @Coffs dragon, as you suggested, Webby had to be diplomatic, but I thought he was grovelling too much.

He didn’t give too much away. By his intonation and language, I suggest he’s not overly Flanno orientated. He said the club would go back to pre-Ryles candidates. Flanno is one of a few.

He’s said previously “it’s a big job”

He contradicted himself when he said the board had a good range of experiences ( ie the oldsters were ok) but also alluded to freshness needed in supporting staff for the new coach and indeed that he was a fresh himself.

He made the point that he sought leadership from the 8 members, which is right and of course they disagree and somehow wrangle out a decision.

I was dissatisfied that he kind of played this “ We are victim too” to the Ryles double cross, because that doesn’t provide any answers and it’s kind of hollow.

It’s probably true, but he should have gone on the attack about Ryles and rightfully blamed him for wasting everyone’s time and money. Stood up a bit for the club while he could. Saying that everyone should support the boys, that’s kind of victim speak and an appeal for people to feel sorry for the club etc.

This was a good chance for a bit of the DNA and Webby to be a man about it and show some pride.

I was Webb I would have said “ Ryles has lost the best coaching opportunity in the NRL”

We’ve discussed all those reasons why SGI is ideal for any coach. It’s win/win with a beautiful honeymoon period, cash and not full power, but a lot anyway. Which we agreed is not a bad thing for a coach because it can be used as an excuse by the new coach if the new coach screws up. But the whole SGI coaching show would be exhilarating for anyone who wants a go. That’s how Carr feels. He’s loving every second of it.

Pride in the jersey Webby, at all costs mate.

That’s what I’ve learned from engaging with you guys

Last edited:
Webby has to be far more assertive with the whole thing.

If he was smarter, Webby should have re-interpreted the questions as an attack on SGI fans and members and punched on verbally with Levy.

That’s what pollies do.

Not give the impression of guilt and sorrow.

A rookie has turned down coaching SGI because he’s an Ignorant precious selfish gutless wonder. Drink that Milkshake Webmeister,

Webby my friend, the NRL is brutal!

Richo is sorely needed lads.

And about the bank leaving, he just should have said

“It doesnt worry us actually”

“We have already received 6 Applications from other companies at the moment and we are going through them.”

None of this “ oh it’s terrible and disappointing etc”

They are abandoning the club, no tears they can bugger off. Shoulder in the tackle and some niggle. It’s a bank, they don’t care.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Could the club be reluctant to sign an experienced coach knowing it’ll likely be the same result but because it’s an experience & quite possibly a premiership winning coach it’ll only throw more pressure on the board for the lack of success.
By signing rookie or Hook quality coaches it gives them an out by saying it’s all the coaches problem??
Just a thought
Naa, lack of results put pressure on them

Listening to that Radio interview reinforces the fact that the media is made up of scum by and large.

Always trying to create a sensational headline.

Ryles gets cold feet and takes the Melbourne offer to be an assistant. This has very little to do with the club and says a lot more about Ryles.

The Chooks defence has been ordinary this season. Hardly a ringing endorsement for him.

Westpac has owned St George Bank for quite some time now. It was inevitable that this sponsorship would come to an end.

As for Flanno, I am not sold on him. His media mates may be trying to get him a gig, however if he was so well regarded, why hasn’t Flanno already got a first grade job ?

We have had an ordinary squad for more than 5 years. Without at least 4-5 quality players we will remain in the cellar.

Let’s start by appointing a real GM followed by a real Pathways director. This in turn will help us recruit a quality coach.

rasaint

Juniors
Mickey Lane good comment as usual.

I’m not sold on the ’who is coach in a simple narrow technical sense’. I believe that just as important; which coach can attract good players and recruit them to his team? Shane Flanagan is the best bet easily imo. Like Bennett he knows a good player and picks the up and comers. His win ratio at a strong 55% overall.

His sharks teams were mostly competitive and of course, won the comp 2016.

Most likely will not demand ridiculous coin.

Any other dragons supporter I know want Shane Flanagan as coach.