What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

hewi

Bench

By Danny Weidler

June 4, 2023 — 5.45am

With Jason Ryles having knocked back St George Illawarra to sign with the Storm, influential Dragons are trying to soften the anti-Shane Flanagan view of board powerbroker Peter Doust.
There is a charm offensive under way so that Doust will at least consider Flanagan. It is unclear exactly why Doust has been so strongly opposed to Flanagan, but now the Dragons have missed out on No.1 choice Ryles, it is believed that Flanagan has growing support from sections of the club.
The Dragons are nervous about a rookie coach after saying Ryles was overwhelmed by the enormity of coaching a club as big as the Red V.
Dean Young has strong support from the St George side of the board, but the club is reeling after being snubbed by a man who hasn’t coached a top-grade game. The board needs to be unanimous in its selection of a coach and for weeks it has been suggested that Doust does not want Flanagan near the club. Neither Doust nor the Dragons have denied this and I have tried to get in touch with Doust to discuss his views on the matter.
The Dragons are nervous about a rookie coach after saying Ryles was
Flanagan is not everybody’s cup of tea, but he has a record of success at Cronulla, where he helped transform a club that was decimated by the peptide scandal into a premiership-winning outfit.
Flanagan is abrasive, but he can rebuild a club quickly. He also has the strong support of News Corp, with his name being pushed to clubs by some of its employees.
Flanagan also has a significant role with Fox Sports, as well as being Anthony Seibold’s assistant at Manly. During the peptide scandal at Cronulla, News Corp targeted Flanagan, but it appears it has forgiven him for his role in that affair. He was then banned for breaching the conditions of that suspension by having contact with people at Cronulla, so he comes with baggage

Botton line from me is NO under any circumstances Dean Young . Like him or not Flanagan has won a premiership for a club that was probably nearly as bigger basket case as us.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Thanks Hewi & just hope they have some luck softening the view of the immovable Doust.
The club is in a self inflicted hole and the “sharks” are circling.
It’s got to be Flanagan, Hannay or John Morris in that order, having all come from the Sharks with experience in the frenzy of the NRL.
It’s no place now for a Rookie ex club favourite to be spat out.
Get it done BOD!

Crush

Coach
Thanks Hewi & just hope they have some luck softening the view of the immovable Doust.
The club is in a self inflicted hole and the “sharks” are circling.
It’s got to be Flanagan, Hannay or John Morris in that order, having all come from the Sharks with experience in the frenzy of the NRL.
It’s no place now for a Rookie ex club favourite to be spat out.
Get it done BOD!
So it sounds like everyone but Doust would support Flanno. I hope if Doust refuses to budge on Flanno then the Illawarra side refuse to budge on Young or Hornby.
What a mess this board is.

blacksafake

First Grade

By Danny Weidler

June 4, 2023 — 5.45am

With Jason Ryles having knocked back St George Illawarra to sign with the Storm, influential Dragons are trying to soften the anti-Shane Flanagan view of board powerbroker Peter Doust.
There is a charm offensive under way so that Doust will at least consider Flanagan. It is unclear exactly why Doust has been so strongly opposed to Flanagan, but now the Dragons have missed out on No.1 choice Ryles, it is believed that Flanagan has growing support from sections of the club.
The Dragons are nervous about a rookie coach after saying Ryles was overwhelmed by the enormity of coaching a club as big as the Red V.
Dean Young has strong support from the St George side of the board, but the club is reeling after being snubbed by a man who hasn’t coached a top-grade game. The board needs to be unanimous in its selection of a coach and for weeks it has been suggested that Doust does not want Flanagan near the club. Neither Doust nor the Dragons have denied this and I have tried to get in touch with Doust to discuss his views on the matter.
The Dragons are nervous about a rookie coach after saying Ryles was
Flanagan is not everybody’s cup of tea, but he has a record of success at Cronulla, where he helped transform a club that was decimated by the peptide scandal into a premiership-winning outfit.
Flanagan is abrasive, but he can rebuild a club quickly. He also has the strong support of News Corp, with his name being pushed to clubs by some of its employees.
Flanagan also has a significant role with Fox Sports, as well as being Anthony Seibold’s assistant at Manly. During the peptide scandal at Cronulla, News Corp targeted Flanagan, but it appears it has forgiven him for his role in that affair. He was then banned for breaching the conditions of that suspension by having contact with people at Cronulla, so he comes with baggage

Botton line from me is NO under any circumstances Dean Young . Like him or not Flanagan has won a premiership for a club that was probably nearly as bigger basket case as us.
I know it’s agenda driven but I can’t believe that I actually agree with him 😳

hewi

Bench
The whole bloody board needs to go to spec savers cant they see the club is been destroyed. Some where in the mix there has to be a proven name person so we can attract quality players the way, Gould has at the dogs, Bennett at the Dolphins etc. All we get is players looking to pad out their retirement funds. When Sharon Woods leaves you know you are in deep 💩

I’m a Des man as I think he’s best available.

But If its a board rumble, I am not sure why the board has to be unanimous in its selection of a coach.

Danny says that, but he doesn’t tell us why. Is it in a rule or constitution? Is the board bound by that prescript? I’d be very surprised if it was.

I have to take Danny’s assertion with a grain of salt -unless it’s written in stone. It is otherwise convention and not mandatory or …he’s made it up.

8 people isn’t it?

Last edited:
I’m a Des man as I think he’s best available.
So do most of us Dragons diehards. I think they have gone back to Flanagan as he is the lesser of two evils, less likely than Des to step on the Board's toes. But I am baffled why they are now looking at the man they let leave only months ago, presumably as he was not being considered as our future head coach. Could say FO face will be be covered in egg if they appoint him. What a schemozzle.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Rubbish, he is the handbrake on the club, it's not his own club, somehow he needs to be removed. F him.
CC
CC, I am a little vague about the year now but I think the following conversation occurred in 2004. I was just leaving Jubilee Oval after a game when I bumped into an old mate. He said straight out that the Dragons were in trouble now with Doust as CEO. His reasoning: how could they appoint him when he was such a poor CEO of St.George Hospital? I had no idea just how prophetic his words were to prove to be!

Assuming the vote has to be unanimous:

If Doust is in a battle with other board members, I’d be interested to learn of his reasoning behind his anti-flanno veto.

Just a simple statement listing his reasons so everyone can consider the merits of it and make an assessment.

Nobody has really told us why he is against Flanno.

That he was embroiled in peptides and broke NRL rules is a given. That he was a cheat is understood. That he did nothing good helping Mary is also true.

Are there other reasons for Dousts strong feelings on this matter which we don’t know about?

Doust is taking on some powerful adversaries in the media to stymie Flanno. It’s a big call. He’s risking a lot. Why?

hewi

Bench
Didn’t someone post that Hasler has no interest in relocating? Of course if we were based at Kogarah it might be a different story.

Gardenia

Juniors
I know it’s agenda driven but I can’t believe that I actually agree with him 😳
I am of 90% agreeance with this also. The 10% non agreeance is related to Flanno being on our staff during the Mary years and remembering it didnt seem to make alot of difference. He may have been ham strung back then though.