What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Gardenia

Juniors
Did I mention that I really really dont want to see Young appointed to head coach

Great passionate player for us and due credit and respect but head coach no not yet

I wish they would hurry up and announce it. Im on the cusp of the mother of all tantrums if this happens and its not great for my blood pressure.

Gardenia

Juniors
Bennett pushing all players he worked with for Origin and Saints HC. Looking a little biased, trying to help out his mates. Bennett also suggested Price when he left and the rot started from then.
Stuff this BOD. Just get it done and sign Flanagan. Stop opening us up to other peanuts who have nothing to do with our club putting their 2 cents worth in and messing with us.

getsmarty

Immortal

Dragon David

First Grade
This selection process is so frustrating. A decent Board would have previously determined which of the available people was the coach that best fits what the club needs to succeed and gone out to recruit them. All this interviewing of potential candidates just indicates that the Board don't really know the coach that the club needs. Duds!
The BOD thought long and hard and decided on Ryles. They did think that he was the ideal choice but we all know what happened in the end. They must have had their heart set on Ryles and must have thought for sure that he would come. Because of this, they possibly didn't have anybody else that they were keen on and when he pulled the pin, they had to go over the other applicants and because Flanagan wasn't on their original wish list, they decided to look at him.

Now all the nosey other coaches and "I know who should be coach" people are saying things and making the whole thing become a deadset puzzle for our not too brainy head honchos so they might just pull a name out of a hat. :)

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
The BOD thought long and hard and decided on Ryles. They did think that he was the ideal choice but we all know what happened in the end. They must have had their heart set on Ryles and must have thought for sure that he would come. Because of this, they possibly didn't have anybody else that they were keen on and when he pulled the pin, they had to go over the other applicants and because Flanagan wasn't on their original wish list, they decided to look at him.

Now all the nosey other coaches and "I know who should be coach" people are saying things and making the whole thing become a deadset puzzle for our not too brainy head honchos so they might just pull a name out of a hat. :)
Fair enough DD, but if the Board had decided that Ryles was who was needed, then why muddy the waters by talking to Young and Hornby at the same time? Anyway, I just hope Flanagan is signed up ASAP. to stop all the media and fan speculation.

justadragon

Bench
We have been running with drama for approx the last 8 months, to think our season was derailed before it even started. From the moment we announced this coaching saga it has been a total embarrassment and shambles, and it continues on. I am not expecting anything to be over because after the appointment of any coach there will be the appointment of a GM and R and R. How long will that take ??? This whole situation has been so unprofessional and so badly managed that we are truly the laughing stock of the NRL and reflective of where we stand on the ladder. I really dont care who the next coach is, but he sure has his work cut out just to get us to resemble some sort of cohesive and competitive team, and if the Dragons dont get by now that no rookie coach can get us there, then we have no future.

Mojo

Bench

Unfortunately, It’s not a hat they pull things from.

hewi

Bench
RUINED MY MORNING

HASLER RULES HIMSELF OUT OF COACHING THE HAPLESS DRAGONS

David riccio
Des Hasler has no interest in applying for the vacant St George Illawarra coaching role, leaving Shane Flanagan as the most experienced person available to take over.
Despite calls by Phil Gould for the Dragons to chase an experienced coach of Hasler’s ilk, the veteran mentor has informed his management not to pursue one of the toughest coaching jobs in the NRL.
Hasler, who won two premierships at Manly before guiding Canterbury to two grand finals in three years, had been linked to the Dragons based on his lengthy coaching experience.
Several experts, including Matty Johns and Gould, suggested Hasler had the experience and, with no previous affiliation with the Dragons, could step in and make tough calls.
“I think the Dragons need someone who has never been a part of the Dragons,” Gould said in April. “The bloke that has had success there was Wayne Bennett, a senior coach who was set in his ways and went there and showed them how to win.
“I know that Des Hasler knows how to win. I think he would be a good fit for them right at this time. I think they need something different.’’
Hasler is the most successful coach who doesn’t have a job in the NRL after finishing up at Manly last year.
Cowboys assistant coach Dean Young, Rabbitohs assistant coach Ben Hornby and Flanagan are being considering to lead the Dragons.
The latter has appeal due to his premiership success with the Sharks in 2016

56to66

Juniors
RUINED MY MORNING

David riccio
Des Hasler has no interest in applying for the vacant St George Illawarra coaching role, leaving Shane Flanagan as the most experienced person available to take over.
Despite calls by Phil Gould for the Dragons to chase an experienced coach of Hasler’s ilk, the veteran mentor has informed his management not to pursue one of the toughest coaching jobs in the NRL.
Hasler, who won two premierships at Manly before guiding Canterbury to two grand finals in three years, had been linked to the Dragons based on his lengthy coaching experience.
Several experts, including Matty Johns and Gould, suggested Hasler had the experience and, with no previous affiliation with the Dragons, could step in and make tough calls.
“I think the Dragons need someone who has never been a part of the Dragons,” Gould said in April. “The bloke that has had success there was Wayne Bennett, a senior coach who was set in his ways and went there and showed them how to win.
“I know that Des Hasler knows how to win. I think he would be a good fit for them right at this time. I think they need something different.’’
Hasler is the most successful coach who doesn’t have a job in the NRL after finishing up at Manly last year.
Cowboys assistant coach Dean Young, Rabbitohs assistant coach Ben Hornby and Flanagan are being considering to lead the Dragons.
I said in another post that I felt Hasler wasn't interested, since Jabba the Hutt opened his mouth endorsing him.
It has to be Flanno, he has been at the Club, as assistant coach and Recruitment, he at least understands the culture. First Day of his appointment is to present Doust with a case of Crownies, he needs a sweet start.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
RUINED MY MORNING

David riccio
Well, this is the first time anybody has been able to shed some light on the spectre that is Des Hasler. In all of the time that this comedy/drama/horror real life story has been on the Board's agenda and in all of the commercial and social media platforms, all that anyone has said about Des is that he could be the one or he should be the one that we should go for or in the case of our friend possm, we need Des.

No one as far as I have seen had even approached Des for even a comment on his thoughts about coaching the Dragons. If Riccio is right, Des was not interested in the job from the get go is what I think and there would also be others who have knocked us back but we don't know.

Now it is becoming a process of elimination and by the way things are going, we will end up with someone who will lead us into the same ugly rut for the next umpteen years.