What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Brothers bid

Desert Qlder

First Grade
From the Facebook page:

"Brothers NRL will be about developing all rugby league communities, not just Brothers Clubs. We are looking to be set up as a not-for-profit and eventually member owned asset. This means that no individual or organisation walks away with a dividend or share when we draw profit. Profits will be distributed directly back into the club to invest in its people, facilities, member benefits, the Confraternity and regional rugby league bodies. We may have to release some options to private investment for initial funding but under the proviso the end goal is a NFP. Our investment will be in Rugby League people. We Can Do This!" Justin Barlow

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brothers-Leprechauns-NRL-Bid-Supporters-Page/313289098800466

BunniesMan

Immortal
This bid needs to change its name to be taken seriously. No team called "Brothers" will ever play in the NRL for a number of reasons.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It's sad to say but I think you may be right, but there's nothing wrong with the name Leprechauns if Brothers is a no go.

Nothing wrong with Brothers, it is well known and highly respected in Queensland.

This bid is not looking to appeal to morons in NSW like the above.

axl rose

Bench
Nothing wrong with Brothers, it is well known and highly respected in Queensland.

Brothers is fine, better than Titans or Pirates. Doesn't really matter, win games and they will get a massive following.

BunniesMan

Immortal

"Morons in NSW" will decide which expansion bid if any gets the go ahead.

And it's not a pro or anti NSW issue. "Brothers" is not a good name for religious and gender reasons. The name has a religious background and many non religious people will not be open to it. And considering women are a key growth target can you really imagine many women going around saying "I'm a Brother" or "I'm a Brothers fan".

The NRL will pick the Bombers or someone else if this bid insists on calling its 1st grade team "Brothers".

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I completely disagree with the religious arguments, I really dont see that as being a problem for very many people. I mean, Im saying that and i was one of those sad people that got exited about Scripture classes at school just because i was actually allowed to call the teacher an idiot.

BUT to say that the religious connotations in "Brothers" cannot be in a Rugby League is to say that "ST GEORGE" should not be in the league either. Dont get me wrong, If they decided that only Catholics could play for them or start doing bible readings as pre-game entertainment i would protest with everyone else. But the religious side of it just seems to be a fact of their history rather than a something they are actually promoting.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not anti-religion. But a team name has to appeal to an extremely broad base of the public and I think "Brothers" is too narrow for the NRL to accept.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I completely disagree with the religious arguments, I really dont see that as being a problem for very many people. I mean, Im saying that and i was one of those sad people that got exited about Scripture classes at school just because i was actually allowed to call the teacher an idiot.

BUT to say that the religious connotations in "Brothers" cannot be in a Rugby League is to say that "ST GEORGE" should not be in the league either. Dont get me wrong, If they decided that only Catholics could play for them or start doing bible readings as pre-game entertainment i would protest with everyone else. But the religious side of it just seems to be a fact of their history rather than a something they are actually promoting.

I don't have any problem with the religious iconography at all, but brothers as in Catholic brothers seems like it could be a bad idea to me.

I can just see a couple of shit stirrer journos making a big deal out of it saying that it is offensive to people who are not Catholic or something alone those lines and a bunch of PC morons jumping on board and making a mountain out of a mole hill, and I really don't think it is worth the trouble.

May as well just drop the brothers part and call them the Leprechauns (officially) and save ourselves all the trouble.

If I'm honest I don't really care what they call themselves but like BM I can see people who would and I don't think the name is worth the trouble that these people may cause, then again it is not for me to say whats best for the Brothers to call themselves is it.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not anti-religion. But a team name has to appeal to an extremely broad base of the public and I think "Brothers" is too narrow for the NRL to accept.

Well i am anti-religion, but i think the name "Brothers" would be so attractive as an historic name that, even if there were negative religious connotations, they would be massively outweighed by nostalgia, goodwill and even the passionate hatred they can stir up.

RedVee

First Grade

Are you going to ban Bombers as well because the anti-military brigade will be offended?
Or Pirates, cos its just silly?

byrner

Juniors

And it's not a pro or anti NSW issue. "Brothers" is not a good name for religious and gender reasons. The name has a religious background and many non religious people will not be open to it. And considering women are a key growth target can you really imagine many women going around saying "I'm a Brother" or "I'm a Brothers fan".

The NRL will pick the Bombers or someone else if this bid insists on calling its 1st grade team "Brothers".

No, the Morons he is talking about is you and people like you who think they are marketing gurus and can talk on behalf of the masses. Arnt you the same Moron who thought the Weat Coast 'Pirates' was a bad name as mother would not want their kids going for a team conected with murder and rape.

In fact, using your logic for a name needing to appeal to the masses, we should get rid of the rabbitohs. When was the last time you saw a rabbit hunter?

Lastly, dont try to speak on behalf of women.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Lastly, dont try to speak on behalf of women.

oh yeh. i forgot to call him an idiot of the women thing.

Its a league played exclusively by men. There is not a single person in the world that advocates women play in this league. Just think about the language people use. How many times have you heard someone say "this is a game of men!"

If a woman was to feel excluded from the NRL she'd have many things to worry about before the name of one team that doesn't even sound sexist, just vaguely excluding.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach

You do realise that the Brothers group in Qld run netball, basketball and hockey comps that are all exclusively for women yeah?

Moron

Perth Red

Post Whore
With 200,000 members in the "fraternity" they have a pretty strong foundation to build on for members.

It's exciting that we have two strong bids both owend and run from grass roots organisations who see the role of an NRL club to help strengthen the game at all levels. Pirates and Brothers sounds good to me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
From Facebook:
Monday Night Fast Fact from the official bid team!

"Lots of talk recently about the business side of the bid, but in the end that is only one small part, Footy is about fun, family, friends and community. Some of our ideas/concepts around marketing and keeping the fans fresh:
*Back to 80's dress up for games to celebrate the last elite premiership.
*Our female recognition advisory group "Brother...s & Sisters" helping us with business initiatives, merchandise, events, participation that creates an environment to attract new fans and recognise the current.
*An indigenous program working with specific groups to create outcomes for initiatives that are directed by the group "Brothers for Brothers".
*Satellite events to link all the clubs together for away games.
*A development and supporter tour to Ireland every four years
*Partnering with Notre Dame College in the U.S for high performance off season training
*Our own Hall of Fame / immortals "The Brethren" that recognises truly outstanding contributions to the club on and off the field
*Corporate facilities that cater for and encourage families

We want to hear from the fans about what else they want to see!
Next committee meeting is the 10th, more gritty legal stuff unfortunately !
The Official Bid Working Committee