What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Brothers bid

Tone83

Juniors
The Brisbane Bummers try and make out broncos territory is south and west to run interference to west corridors. They are spin doctors.

Its definitely bullshit, broncos stronghold is north brisbane 1st, probably lockyer valley second. Everyone in south brisbane, logan and ipswich seems to support a different club. Alot of NQ love, kids love the titans, but mostly you have people following st george or newcastle or souths etc etc. But yes with north brisbanites criticising the broncos is sacriligious and dangerous.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Its definitely bullshit, broncos stronghold is north brisbane 1st, probably lockyer valley second. Everyone in south brisbane, logan and ipswich seems to support a different club. Alot of NQ love, kids love the titans, but mostly you have people following st george or newcastle or souths etc etc. But yes with north brisbanites criticising the broncos is sacriligious and dangerous.

Newcastle?! Really?

I have a cousin at wynnum. In his high school he said the majority are Broncos followed by the storm and warriors fans

Tone83

Juniors
Actually I almost mentioned east believe it or not, that bayside area is keen on the broncs, they're south of the river but don't identify as southsiders and are more northerners in vibe. From the gap and ashgrove arching down to the bayside broncos are a religion, but realistically league itself is bigger throught the rest of brisbane to the south and west, and thats the majority of brisbane that love league and don't care for the broncs and don't feel represented by them.

What? There's heaps of south side Broncos fans, I mean the Broncos used to play smack bang in the middle of southside at Mcgregor in the old QSAC ground. There is no region of Brisbane that has more Bronco fans than another and to think there is means you know bugger all about Brisbane. You have heaps of islander families in Logan who support the donks, heaps of Vietnamese families in areas like Inala, Goodna, Richlands etc who support the donks, heaps of hard yakkas from acacia ridge and browns plains (which is Logan) who support the Donks. Hell there's even large amount of families from Beenleigh way that support the broncos.

Tone83

Juniors
I know a tonne about brisbane and you're wrong. I mean of course broncs fans are every where, but there are bronco strongholds where every man, woman and child and dog supports the broncos and they are specifically north side and bayside, suburbs where most peoples parents grew up in the area. Inner south too.
There is much much more diversity south and west and generally a vibe that isn't in tune with what the broncos are like and what they stand for. Nearly every street in brisbane would have some old dude that loves the broncos living in it but I'm talking more generally that south and west is by no means locked down by the broncos while parts in the north definitely are.

You seem to have an outdated view describing acacia ridge as hard yakkas, haven't been through there for a while I take it?

I know a tonne about brisbane and you're wrong. I mean of course broncs fans are every where, but there are bronco strongholds where every man, woman and child and dog supports the broncos and they are specifically north side and bayside, suburbs where most peoples parents grew up in the area. Inner south too.
There is much much more diversity south and west and generally a vibe that isn't in tune with what the broncos are like and what they stand for. Nearly every street in brisbane would have some old dude that loves the broncos living in it but I'm talking more generally that south and west is by no means locked down by the broncos while parts in the north definitely are.

You seem to have an outdated view describing acacia ridge as hard yakkas, haven't been through there for a while I take it?

not sure how it's an out dated view when I was helping out with Souths Acacia Ridge and occasionally Souths Sunnybank up until 2011.

Southside has as much Bronco support than Northside, i think you'll also find that northside has more rugby union supporters because of the higher social-economic view and the private schools like nudgee etc even if southside does have more islanders, more new zealanders. fact remains both sides support the broncos as much as the other. there is no difference, except for the fact someone who has lived on the northside all their life would say "bugger living in the south it's a hole" and the someone on the south vice verser.

having been involved in the construction/building industry up until I moved to cairns late last year, i have mingled with blue collars for a decade +. most of them came from the southside and the one's who were born bred in brisbane or south east qld support the broncos. most of their kids are bronco supporters.

migrants who have gelled into the community also support the broncos be it partial and perhaps not attending many games, their children also support them.

the very successful broncos of the 90's helped that.

docbrown

Coach
fact remains both sides support the broncos as much as the other.

I don't want to wade into the "which area supports the Broncos more" argument but if you want a club to grow quickly to rival the Broncos then it needs to position itself in the areas with the higher population growth.

From what I've read it's the suburbs along the South-West industrial strip that are the fastest growing in Brisbane.

I don't want to wade into the "which area supports the Broncos more" argument but if you want a club to grow quickly to rival the Broncos then it needs to position itself in the areas with the higher population growth.

From what I've read it's the suburbs along the South-West industrial strip that are the fastest growing in Brisbane.

Ipswich is that area. Springfield to the ranges. Better to just position a club there and call them Ipswich then to put a team there and call them Brisbane whatever, it's the easiest solution. Keep all of Brisbane as broncos, all of Gold Coast as titans and Ipswich as whatever brand. Keep Logan/Beenleigh as a neutral area.

Edit: you'll still get some people from metro Brisbane area supporting the Ipswich whatever's due to it being a blue collar area and they'll most likely be a team of scrappers and underdogs. Essentially the Penrith Panthers of SEQLD. People will laugh at their plight, but no one will hate them and they'll have a soft spot in many people's hearts.

Brisbane 2 can't achieve that, not long term. They'll always be the "other" Brisbane side. Where as Ipswich automatically has a region. Also maybe instead of being Ipswich whatever's or Brisbane whatever's, do what the ducks did originally in NHL before they changed their name arrangement, they used to be The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim before becoming just Anaheim Ducks.

What I'm getting at is maybe Brothers need a name like Brothers of Queensland.

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
The fact you are comparing a Ipswich bid as the Panthers of SE QLD is accurate and exactly why it is not the best bid for the NRL.

docbrown

Coach
Ipswich is that area. Springfield to the ranges. Better to just position a club there and call them Ipswich
then to put a team there and call them Brisbane whatever, it's the easiest solution. Keep all of Brisbane as broncos,

I have to respectfully disagree there.

As Applesauce has said -

The fact you are comparing a Ipswich bid as the Panthers of SE QLD is accurate and exactly why it is not the best bid for the NRL.

There's no point in setting up a second club in Brisbane if it's going to be a runt.

If the model of a second Brisbane isn't structured around dragging people's arses en masse to Lang Park then it's really not worth pursuing.

There's a world class stadium and a population of 2,150,000 in a heartland market. Not all of them follow the Broncos. Not all of them follow the NRL. Not all of them follow Rugby League. That's a large city-wide base to work from.

Given all that they have in their favour if despite all that the NRL still can't get a second club big enough to rattle the Broncos' nest then we should be questioning the NRL's ability to successful implement a meaningful expansion strategy altogether!

What I'm getting at is maybe Brothers need a name like Brothers of Queensland.

I was suggesting something similar below with Queensland Brothers. Some may have been put off but at the end of the day we want these expansion clubs to be as big as they possibly can be.

Perth Red

Post Whore
South Queensland brothers maybe to give it a bit more of a regional feel. Still not sure about how non brothers connected fans will feel about following them though. As someone anti religion i know I would have problems becoming a fan.

IowaRL

Juniors
South Queensland brothers maybe to give it a bit more of a regional feel. Still not sure about how non brothers connected fans will feel about following them though. As someone anti religion i know I would have problems becoming a fan.

This brothers bid option makes me think of Notre Dame in US College Football. Known as the fighting Irish, they are a catholic school you either love or hate. While yes, you may have some very passionate fans cheering for a brothers side, you may also have a large contingent who will cheer for whomever they are playing against. To have this sort of dislike, you need to make sure you have a viable local option for Nemisis team, and in this case it would be the broncos. Could having 2 teams which are the subject of dislike in the se area cause an issue? I'm not sure. But this should fall into the reasoning of which teams get the nod.

Tone83

Juniors
I don't think Brothers should be "the other brisbane" team, there's room for brothers and another brisbane team. Brothers not being brisbane,.or anywhere, just the Brothers Leprachauns. With a home base in brisbane. Then I still think separate to that we need a "south brisbane" team. We don't want an ipswich team because no one has pride in ipswich, same as logan, but south brisbane could encompass both and there's a lot of pride in south brisbane. I'm certain their fan base would explode like no other.

What do you mean no one has pride in Ipswich? Guess you've never met Paul Pisasale the mayor. There's plenty there, the city has changed heaps since I was a kid. It's no coincidence that its the fastest growing corridor.

There's a few people from SEQLD here but I swear they never travel around the area and mingle in different regions with different locals.

Tone83

Juniors
Whats the mayor gonna say? "yeah ipswich is shit *shrugging all dishevelled in a baggy suit*", no he's gonna try and amp it up and make out like its a go ahead place. I know plenty of people who live in ipswich and I even went there by train every day for a few months to do a course, I had to walk through the city centre and breathe in the shame, despair and hopelessness. South Brisbane is a place has and has had a bad rap and rightfully so but theres a swagger and confidence in the people that causes them to own it and embrace their "dirty south" reputation. Ipswich and logan would gladly jump on board such a shiney cool ship, they'd be desparate to.

What a load of rubbish. As someone who grew up on the southside, I say your views are out of touch. People don't feel that way at all, because the people who live in these areas of Logan are more often than not immigrants who are just happy to be living in a nice city. Ipswich, is the same but with young families that can actually afford to buy a house/property and live the Australian dream without going broke.

Both areas are entrenched with rugby league, both have produced some of this countries greatest players.. Smith, Walters bros, Langer. The cities have changed, I know because I worked on alot of projects in both of them in the last decade. Their councils have worked over time to clean them up, Ipswich has gone from one f the most crime ridden cities when I was a kid to one of the better cities with minimal crime now a days. Logan is much the same but not quite there. Matter of fact southside Brisbane, would associate with either region. What is southside in your view anyways? Richer suburbs like Carindale? Or the hard working ones like Acacia Ridge? Because the difference between suburbs as mentioned is fairly large, northside for the most part is fairly even in a social economic scope besides the outer ones of course like Braken Ridge Carseldine etc.

Ipswich will keep growing, it'll keep getting bigger and with that business will move in. Business will mean sponsorship potential, tht will mean money and revenue and eventually with enough sway a Titan esque stadium can be built in Springfield. Which is close enough to Logan via motorway and in Ipswich.

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
What a load of rubbish. As someone who grew up on the southside, I say your views are out of touch. People don't feel that way at all, because the people who live in these areas of Logan are more often than not immigrants who are just happy to be living in a nice city. Ipswich, is the same but with young families that can actually afford to buy a house/property and love the Australian dream without going broke.

Both areas are entrenched with rugby league, both have produced some of this countries greatest players.. Smith, Walters bros, Langer. The cities have changed, I know because I worked on alot of projects in both of them in the last decade. Their councils have worked over time to clean them up, Ipswich has gone from one f the most crime ridden cities when I was a kid to one of the better cities with minimal crime now a days. Logan is much the same but not quite there. Matter of fact southside Brisbane, would associate with either region. What is southside in your view anyways? Richer suburbs like Carindale? Or the hard working ones like Acacia Ridge? Because the difference between suburbs as mentioned is fairly large, northside for the most part is fairly even in a social economic scope besides the outer ones of course like Braken Ridge Carseldine etc.

Ipswich will keep growing, it'll keep getting bigger and with that business will move in. Business will mean sponsorship potential, tht will mean money and revenue be eventually with enough sway a Titan esque stadium can be built in Springfield. Which is close enough to Logan via motorway and in Ipswich.

I can say the same, and you're either a massive bogan or out of touch yourself.

No-one in Brisbane wants to be associated with Ipswich and many people in Ipswich want to move out. Brisbanes ethos is Northsiders thinking they are > Southsiders thinking they are > Logan thinking they are > Ipswich thinking they are > Toowoomba.

Penrith have the same issue, many of their fans move away from Penrith or don't follow the Panthers due to the stigma associated with it.

Ipswich is not a place for a powerhouse club, but that doesn't mean it can't be successful. I just think the NRL needs to bring in the best and strongest teams possible. No more mistakes like throughout Sydney post SL or the Gold Coast Titans.

Do it right, do it well the first time.

I can say the same, and you're either a massive bogan or out of touch yourself.

No-one in Brisbane wants to be associated with Ipswich and many people in Ipswich want to move out. Brisbanes ethos is Northsiders thinking they are > Southsiders thinking they are > Logan thinking they are > Ipswich thinking they are > Toowoomba.

Penrith have the same issue, many of their fans move away from Penrith or don't follow the Panthers due to the stigma associated with it.

Ipswich is not a place for a powerhouse club, but that doesn't mean it can't be successful. I just think the NRL needs to bring in the best and strongest teams possible. No more mistakes like throughout Sydney post SL or the Gold Coast Titans.

Do it right, do it well the first time.

If many people want to move out of Ipswich why is the corridor the fastest growing in QLD? Ipswich as in the region not the city, Springfield is nice and its in Ipswich. Suburbs like Camira etc.

You're associating the city center to the entire region itself hence your view, which is wrong.
And im not a bogan or out of touch, I have been however involved in Ipswich, Logan and southside for as long as I can remember. Panthers have won premierships, Parra have won premierships, Manly have won premierships, they all have had good sponsors and hard times. No reason why Ipswich can't be in the same sentence as them. It'll be the younger families, the inlander families which will dictate the next generation of kids coming through and guess where they are majority based....

Last edited:

gyallop

Juniors
Apple Sauce and Tone83 dont confuse personal bias with fact

this is fact your shit is just that

Ipswich named world's most liveable mid-size city

It's official - Ipswich is now the most liveable mid-size city in the world, as awarded by an international panel made up of different cultures and ideas united by the single goal of making the environment where people live better

http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/about_ipswich/statistics_facts/awards/livcom_award/

gyallop

Juniors
and AppleSauce I note you are proudly a Bronco

You say "No-one in Brisbane wants to be associated with Ipswich" you must have forgotten to say except for the Broncos!