What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Brothers bid

applesauce

Bench
If many people want to move out of Ipswich why is the corridor the fastest growing in QLD? Ipswich as in the region not the city, Springfield is nice and its in Ipswich. Suburbs like Camira etc.

You're associating the city center to the entire region itself hence your view, which is wrong.
And im not a bogan or out of touch, I have been however involved in Ipswich, Logan and southside for as long as I can remember. Panthers have won premierships, Parra have won premierships, Manly have won premierships, they all have had good sponsors and hard times. No reason why Ipswich can't be in the same sentence as them. It'll be the younger families, the inlander families which will dictate the next generation of kids coming through and guess where they are majority based....

People upgrade from suburbs where houses are cheaper (Beenleigh, Gaton etc.) and upgrade to the next rung, such as Ipswich. People move from interstate. Immigrants move to more affordable housing when they come to a new country.

I support Ipswich coming into the NRL but they will not be a top of the competition team off the field and that is the problem when trying to make the best possible choice the first time.

and AppleSauce I note you are proudly a Bronco

You say "No-one in Brisbane wants to be associated with Ipswich" you must have forgotten to say except for the Broncos!

They are the Brisbane Broncos not the Ipswich Broncos... They just go out there for junior talent, fans and money.

docbrown

Coach
I just think the NRL needs to bring in the best and strongest teams possible. No more mistakes like throughout Sydney post SL or the Gold Coast Titans.

Do it right, do it well the first time.

I'm in total agreement with that.

To be realistic I don't think we can afford to put in a flawed 2nd Brisbane side now and expect to fix it with a better 3rd Brisbane side later on.

This is likely to be the last NRL club in Brisbane. Best to make it as big as possible.

Tone83

Juniors
Apple Sauce and Tone83 dont confuse personal bias with fact

this is fact your shit is just that

Ipswich named world's most liveable mid-size city

It's official - Ipswich is now the most liveable mid-size city in the world, as awarded by an international panel made up of different cultures and ideas united by the single goal of making the environment where people live better

http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/about_ipswich/statistics_facts/awards/livcom_award/

Your "fact" is an opinion poll? lol you couldn't write this stuff, your ipswich education on show there.

Look Ipswich is growing and rated "liveable" due to one thing - affordability, and its affordable because its awful and no one wants to live there. Desperate people are resorting to living there en masse because there is currently a massive housing crisis in SEQ. You really think ipswich real estate is more desirable than brisbane? Or anywhere for that matter? No its affordable and has a train link to brisbane, end of.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So is the Brothers bid too divisive and unlikely to be able to attract a greater fanbase than those already connected to them? You would be thinking any new brisbane club would need a paying fanbase of 20K+ and a latent fanbase of a couple of hundred thousand to compete in that market. Can brothers deliver this?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm in total agreement with that.

To be realistic I don't think we can afford to put in a flawed 2nd Brisbane side now and expect to fix it with a better 3rd Brisbane side later on.

This is likely to be the last NRL club in Brisbane. Best to make it as big as possible.

Must remember we are not talking "now" we are talking about a review at end of 2014 season, probably a bid process and unlikely to see any new club kicking off before 2017/18 so that is another 4-5 years away at best before any new club would be started. that is fair lead up time, some bids have been at this since 2009 so we will be talking 8-9 years by the time we see expansion, not like it is being rushed!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Must remember we are not talking "now" we are talking about a review at end of 2014 season, probably a bid process and unlikely to see any new club kicking off before 2017/18 so that is another 4-5 years away at best before any new club would be started. that is fair lead up time, some bids have been at this since 2009 so we will be talking 8-9 years by the time we see expansion, not like it is being rushed!

I think he, like me is less worried about the bid process being rushed and more worried about whether or not the teams that are picked are ready to be in the NRL.

The last thing we need is a bid team picked that is not ready and have them fall over a couple years later, all for someones agenda of what they think the NRL should be. For example imgaine if a Adelaide bid came up and they were rushed into the NRL alongside the Pirates, it would be a disaster we can't afford to have.

So he is less worried about how long it is taking to make the decision and more worried as to whether the decision is the right one or not.

dimitri

First Grade
what is the general consensus of

BROTHERS v BOMBERS

id say brothers is much better - but whilst trying to attract all support from brothers associations - would have to try and distance themselves from all religious activities etc

Do the brothers have a bid web site?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
BROTHERS Ipswich have reaffirmed their support of the Western Corridor NRL bid despite a new national Brothers NRL bid entering the fray.

Brothers Leagues Club general manager Mark Hennelly said his organisation had come under no pressure to join the Brothers NRL bid and reinforced his organisation's close ties to the Western Corridor's bid.

"Our board, both our football club and leagues club and the juniors see the Western Corridor bid as the best thing for the corridor," he said.

"We've been actively involved in the planning and the submission, which is virtually ready to go.

"We are in Ipswich and that is where the majority of our players, members and staff are involved.

"While the Brothers confraternity bid is a good concept, that is what it is at the moment.

"We don't really know anything about it apart from what we've read in the papers."

Brothers will be the training base of the Western Corridor side.

"We are building some new fields here which are just about completed so we will we have four international fields fully flood-lit," Mr Hennelly said.

"The original plan is that for the first two years if the bid is successful, the NRL side would train here. Our commitment is that we would provide the training facilities which would include a gym."

http://www.qt.com.au/news/brothers-heart-soul-is-with-western-corridor/1857219/

Perth Red

Post Whore
TOOWOOMBA could have a direct path to the NRL if a bold bid by the Confraternity of Brothers Clubs is successful.

The Brothers Confraternity encompasses all Brothers rugby league clubs from Brisbane to Cairns and Darwin.

Confraternity delegates from most of the clubs met in Toowoomba at the weekend for its biannual conference.

Sports consultant Justin Barlow of Stadium Industries addressed the conference on the possibility of a combined Brothers Leprechauns bid to join the NRL.

The team would be based in Brisbane at the spiritual head of the Brothers organisation, Corbett Park, which only recently returned to a Brothers Leagues Club after being the Crushers Leagues Club for some years.

However, Barlow said though the team would be based and play in Brisbane, it would also play in cities which had a Brothers club at venues approved by the NRL.

"We are waiting for the formal go ahead from the Confraternity," he told The Chronicle.

"Then we would start raising the profile and building toward raising the funds for a formal bid."

Confraternity chairman Brian Roberts said the delegates at the Toowoomba conference on the weekend would take the proposal back to their club members to obtain feedback but he was confident the bid would be supported by the clubs.

"The feedback from the club delegates after Justin's presentation in Toowoomba was very positive," he said.

"The Leprechaun is one of the most recognisable brands in sport, particularly in Queensland and the Northern Territory.

"Some of the delegates reckon we don't market the Leprechaun enough as it is and this would lift the profile of the Leprechaun and Brothers clubs."

Barlow said while a Brothers team in the NRL would give players a direct path to the game's highest level through the Queensland Brothers franchise, that path would also be open to players of all clubs in the country and not just Brothers clubs.

The Confraternity of Brothers Clubs already had large player and membership bases on which to build should the bid be successful.

Many of the Brothers clubs already have successful leagues clubs in particular in Cairns, Townsville and Ipswich.

Any Brothers NRL matches in Toowoomba would most likely be played at Clive Berghofer Stadium.

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/toowoomba-rugby-league-nrl-confraternity-brothers/1778372/

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brothers’ radical bid to join the NRL continues to gather momentum with hordes of Leprechauns fans showing their support via social media.
More than 900 Facebook users have already joined an unofficial Brothers Leprechauns NRL Bid Supporters Page created by school teacher Anthony O’Brien just five weeks ago.
O’Brien, a Brothers Juniors player in the 1970s, has even been in contact with bid chief Justin Barlow, who has used the page to answer questions from fans.
Barlow is currently working on a feasibility study for the bid, which, if successful, would put a Brothers NRL team based in Brisbane’s northern suburbs and draw on the enormous reach of the brand across the state.
O’Brien has long believed Brethren representation in the world’s premier rugby league competition ‘‘just makes sense’’. ‘‘I’ve said for years the fact that Brothers are so unique and have clubs everywhere means they would have a massive supporter base (in the NRL),’’ he said.
‘‘The first I heard of the bid was when I was reading Rugby League Week and it had an article on the new bid team. I got pretty excited about it and thought ‘what can I do?’.
‘‘I got on Facebook because I knew there was going to be heaps of support about this. I had about 200 likes in less than a week.’’
O’Brien said he had a number of ideas for the page up his sleeve as the bid process progresses.

http://quest.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

docbrown

Coach
I think he, like me is less worried about the bid process being rushed and more worried about whether or not the teams that are picked are ready to be in the NRL.

The last thing we need is a bid team picked that is not ready and have them fall over a couple years later, all for someones agenda of what they think the NRL should be. For example imgaine if a Adelaide bid came up and they were rushed into the NRL alongside the Pirates, it would be a disaster we can't afford to have.

So he is less worried about how long it is taking to make the decision and more worried as to whether the decision is the right one or not.

Exactly. The NRL needs to ensure that the new clubs admitted in every market are the biggest and best that they can possibly be. They may be the last teams we put in WA/SA/QLD/NZ etc - best to get it right as we can risk culling or re-branding teams again. It's a bad look for the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No surprise Broncos suddenly interested in Logan now they may lose the region. Another example of why competition in Brisbane will be good to keep the Broncos honest.

THE Brothers Leprechauns potential NRL bid is under threat from the Brisbane Broncos Logan junior rugby league academy.

Logan Brothers President Paul McGrath said the Broncos creation of its first junior academy outside Red Hill was a knee-jerk reaction to the Brothers bid concept and Western Corridor NRL bid.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest...bid-under-threat/story-fn8m0u8i-1226645433989

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This is why having another Brisbane team is required. Just imagine that 5 years after the Brothers get accepted they actually have more members and bigger crowds than the Broncos, the team that has had Brisbane to themselves for 30 years. The Broncos will try to catch up and it will just become a pissing contest, that is how you make teams grow. The same thing is already happening in Sydney. Souths have 25,000 members, so you cannot so it cant be done in sydney. Now everyone is trying to keep up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm hearing there is going to be some exciting news from this bid shortly with official announcement that they will bidding should the NRL call for bids.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, they have only said they are interested in bidding IF they get the support of their fraternity. I am hearing this will be passed shortly and the bid will become official with some big announcements on the way. Probably around 2 months away.

byrner

Juniors
Good. I like the sounds of this bid. It will have strong support if it is backed by all of the leagues clubs.