What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Brothers bid

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
mackay-brothers-elite-rugby-league-jersey-2010.jpg

How about this???

byrner

Juniors
Now Thats a quality looking jersey.

And PR, as others have pointed out, have you ever seen the EPL?
Some of their top sides share the same colours. As long as they wear alternative jerseys when they play each other then it doesnt matter.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
BROTHERS NRL bid founder Justin Barlow says his organisation is ready to begin formal talks with the NRL as he prepares to address a Brothers Confraternity conference in Ipswich on Friday.

The three-day conference will be attended by delegates from more than 40 Brothers clubs from across the state.

The Brothers bid will draw on the vast reach of an established fan base and plans to play eight games in Brisbane and four in regional centres.

"We have in place an engaged and national fan base, and they just need to be mobilised," Mr Barlow said.

"Many people have said that is a romantic notion, but that is actually the biggest asset in driving your bottom line and commercial returns."

Many current NRL stars have played with Brothers clubs including Cameron Smith (Logan), Billy Slater (Innisfail), Daly Cherry-Evans (Mackay) and Sam Thaiday (Townsville).

"As a grass roots organisation we are producing enough talent. That is our base for developing into an elite organisation," Mr Barlow said.

"Now we are ready to start talking in a formal fashion to the NRL to get a bit of guidance on what their expectations are.

"We are still pressing ahead with our strategy of basing ourselves in Brisbane and taking games to fans in the regions.

"We've been in talks with plenty of regional councils and bodies to get their buy-in. We haven't engaged with Suncorp (Stadium) yet, but we are at the point where we can go ahead and start cementing those relationships."

Brothers Confraternity president Brian Roberts is backing the bid and says it will give many junior players a genuine pathway.

"We've got a lot of juniors who play for Brothers, including in Ipswich, and it gives them somewhere they can go.

"It is another opportunity for them to play at the next level and it gives something to Brothers clubs in areas that don't have an NRL side anywhere near them.

"The Brothers Confraternity agreed to the bid in principle at our conference in Toowoomba and will be updated on it at the conference in Ipswich on Friday."

http://www.qt.com.au/news/brothers-ready-to-start-formal-talks-with-the-nrl/2188833/

Diehards

Juniors
They already have a few different designs ready to go.

They won their last BRL Premiership in 1987 with 1 big butcher stripe (see YouTube) plus played in the State League with a jersey with navy blue with 1 thick white stripe.

I believe they would be the 2 alternate strips

Has a hell of a lot going for it - a merge with the Western Corridor bid would pretty much spell the end of the dreadful Bombers bid!

georgesnmith

Juniors

The Great Dane

First Grade
Ipswich Brothers stick solid with Western Corridor bid
http://m.qt.com.au/news/brotherssticksolid-with-western-corridor-bid/2188799/

Now where is that Brothers bid supporter who said they are supporting the brothers bid now?

Brothers light years behind the progress of CQ NRL Bid, PNG, CC Bears, WC Pirates...

Ipswich Brothers are just covering all their bases.

They know that if the Brothers bid does get the nod that they'll be able join them even if they weren't officially part of the bid, but if the Western Corridor bid gets a license and they aren't part of the bid already then they'll miss the boat.

All they are doing is putting their eggs in multiple baskets.

BTW what difference does it make if the bid is behind some of the other bids at the moment?

The bid is only about a year old now, so of course they aren't as advanced as others that have been around longer, but they'll catch up.

Diehards

Juniors
I dont think any bid is that far ahead of any other bod as there is only so much they can organise up until this point.

The Great Dame has it spot on. The smart money is on the Brothers & Western Corridor bids merging and then watch out! Ipswich Brothers will have the best of both worlds!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I dont think any bid is that far ahead of any other bod as there is only so much they can organise up until this point.

The Great Dame has it spot on. The smart money is on the Brothers & Western Corridor bids merging and then watch out! Ipswich Brothers will have the best of both worlds!

I just dont see the benifit in this and i can see a few down side...

RUG13Y

Juniors
I rank the bids as follows.

Brothers
Western Corridor
Central Queensland Bulls
Brisbane Bombers

georgesnmith

Juniors
today is apparently the official launch of the bid

theres an article in the courier mail about the bid but i cant find the link

Perth Red

Post Whore
My main concern with this bid is can they attract 25k+ to games in Brisbane and can they attract the corporate support needed to take on the might of the Broncos. Love the grass roots nature but do the financials stack up? Can anyone from Brisbane tell us if the Brothers are likely to be able to develop wide spread support across Brisbane?

ash the bash

Juniors
Agree with PR they are my fav Queensland bid team but what they will attract in Brissie has me concerned. I have no doubt they will kill it on there 4 rural games at places like Cairns, Makay etc.

GCCowboy

Juniors
Just heard about this Brothers bid and it's the best news I have heard about the NRL in years especially for Qld.

Putting a Brothers team in creates something in Queensland that no other bid could challenge. Not only are there the league clubs there are the cricket, hockey, union and other clubs. There are the schools and there is even dare I say it the catholics.

They have a heritage and connection with the community - which as the resurgence of Souths has shown is worth something to the whole comp. Don't kid yourself people what Rusty has done with them probably injected an extra hundred million into that last media contract.

There is a purpose built fan base and one interesting aspect of this fan base is it is a middle class fan base mostly of ex private school kids. These people have the money to pay for memberships, take kids to games, buy merchandise, buy sponsors products

This is different a demographic to the Broncos core market, so it brings a different type of fan (not saying these people aren't already fans) that sponsors can market too. So a Telstra is more encouraged to continue to back the NRL as it expands the audience, A car maker like BMW or Mercedes is likely to be interested in this team rather than a Great Wall for an Ipswich team, an airline like Qantas or Emirates rather than Jetstar.

I work in Business Development, Sales and Marketing and when you think NRL you think low socio-demographic marketing - McDonalds, Coke and Nappies

I'm not saying all NRL fans are poor (I know I'm not), but the target market for advertising is definitely that group.

Brothers would definitely change that at least in Brisbane (probably pinch a lot of Reds/Wallaby sponsors and supporters from this market too).

This and the Perth bid are the only two that really "grow the pie". The rest of the bids just borrow from the existing. Game over CQ, Bombers, Ipswich

Latest posts