What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Brothers bid

georgesnmith

Juniors
Just heard about this Brothers bid and it's the best news I have heard about the NRL in years especially for Qld.

Putting a Brothers team in creates something in Queensland that no other bid could challenge. Not only are there the league clubs there are the cricket, hockey, union and other clubs. There are the schools and there is even dare I say it the catholics.

They have a heritage and connection with the community - which as the resurgence of Souths has shown is worth something to the whole comp. Don't kid yourself people what Rusty has done with them probably injected an extra hundred million into that last media contract.

There is a purpose built fan base and one interesting aspect of this fan base is it is a middle class fan base mostly of ex private school kids. These people have the money to pay for memberships, take kids to games, buy merchandise, buy sponsors products

This is different a demographic to the Broncos core market, so it brings a different type of fan (not saying these people aren't already fans) that sponsors can market too. So a Telstra is more encouraged to continue to back the NRL as it expands the audience, A car maker like BMW or Mercedes is likely to be interested in this team rather than a Great Wall for an Ipswich team, an airline like Qantas or Emirates rather than Jetstar.

I work in Business Development, Sales and Marketing and when you think NRL you think low socio-demographic marketing - McDonalds, Coke and Nappies

I'm not saying all NRL fans are poor (I know I'm not), but the target market for advertising is definitely that group.

Brothers would definitely change that at least in Brisbane (probably pinch a lot of Reds/Wallaby sponsors and supporters from this market too).

This and the Perth bid are the only two that really "grow the pie". The rest of the bids just borrow from the existing. Game over CQ, Bombers, Ipswich

good read!

georgesnmith

Juniors
My main concern with this bid is can they attract 25k+ to games in Brisbane and can they attract the corporate support needed to take on the might of the Broncos. Love the grass roots nature but do the financials stack up? Can anyone from Brisbane tell us if the Brothers are likely to be able to develop wide spread support across Brisbane?

a 2nd brisbane team could do what the broncos do ie 33k plus

the broncos are just a lazy club with marketing, they already make a 2 million profit each year and with the salary cap cant spend it

edit: the broncos have lost around 10k fans from their high point in crowds.the crushers were doing around 15k

and that was back in 1995, and brisbane has added ? 1 million more people

RUG13Y

Juniors
Just heard about this Brothers bid and it's the best news I have heard about the NRL in years especially for Qld.

Putting a Brothers team in creates something in Queensland that no other bid could challenge. Not only are there the league clubs there are the cricket, hockey, union and other clubs. There are the schools and there is even dare I say it the catholics.

They have a heritage and connection with the community - which as the resurgence of Souths has shown is worth something to the whole comp. Don't kid yourself people what Rusty has done with them probably injected an extra hundred million into that last media contract.

There is a purpose built fan base and one interesting aspect of this fan base is it is a middle class fan base mostly of ex private school kids. These people have the money to pay for memberships, take kids to games, buy merchandise, buy sponsors products

This is different a demographic to the Broncos core market, so it brings a different type of fan (not saying these people aren't already fans) that sponsors can market too. So a Telstra is more encouraged to continue to back the NRL as it expands the audience, A car maker like BMW or Mercedes is likely to be interested in this team rather than a Great Wall for an Ipswich team, an airline like Qantas or Emirates rather than Jetstar.

I work in Business Development, Sales and Marketing and when you think NRL you think low socio-demographic marketing - McDonalds, Coke and Nappies

I'm not saying all NRL fans are poor (I know I'm not), but the target market for advertising is definitely that group.

Brothers would definitely change that at least in Brisbane (probably pinch a lot of Reds/Wallaby sponsors and supporters from this market too).

This and the Perth bid are the only two that really "grow the pie". The rest of the bids just borrow from the existing. Game over CQ, Bombers, Ipswich

One of the best posts I have read in a long while. I had not thought about it from the sponsorship angle.

CQ Italia

Juniors
all bids should come through the second tier first as was suggested earlier this year. possible exception for W.A (as they have SG Ball)

brothers supporters all support existing NRL clubs as well as CQ fans. I dare say a lot more (due to brothers strong links in Townsville and Brisbane). Not many CQ fans spend money on NRL games in terms of tickets/membership.

But anyway it may/will come down to channel 9/foxsports, if there is expansion at all, no matter how behind bids are

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ence-was-granted/story-fniabjcr-1226857364212

The Brothers bid team say they would have 30,000 members if a NRL licence was granted

Paul Malone
The Courier-Mail
March 17, 2014 10:00PM

THE Brothers bid team say they would expect to pull as many as 30,000 members in the first year after they were given an NRL licence.

Bid team chief Justin Barlow said they want to draw on the 30 Brothers clubs in 17 cities to provide what he says would a unique pathway where a five-year-old can start at a Brothers club and progress to playing for a Brothers NRL club, helped along the way to become a “gentleman’’.

Barlow said he has major financial backers for their bid, which he said is at “investment point’’.

He said the investors, whose identity he would not confirm, understood the not-for-profit model for the proposed NRL club, which would be majority-owned by members.

A Brothers entry to the NRL would play at least eight home games at Suncorp Stadium and as many as four matches at regional grounds. Queensland bid rivals include the Brisbane Bombers, Western Corridor, Central Queensland and Redcliffe.

“We could put a team on the field in 2018 at a lower level or possibly 2018 at the NRL, which coincides with the new broadcast deal,’’ Barlow said.

“We will see what the NRL says. There may even be a two-tier competition, with, like with the English Premier League, promotion and relegation, and we can work with that.

“One of our key next steps is to meet with them and understand where they want the game to go.

“We can present an option where we can service Brisbane and we can service the western corridor, (regional Queensland) and Northern Territory.

“NRL teams play games (in the premiership in recent years in Cairns and Mackay), but we would not be working in the regional centres on a fly in, fly out basis.’’

The Brisbane bid team had a launch at a New Farm hotel on Thursday attended by former Brisbane Brothers international David Wright and the 1987 premiership captain Trevor Bailey.

Barlow updated a meeting of Confraternity of Brothers delegates at Ipswich last weekend on progress of meeting with regional councils and said they were cautious about protecting the integrity of the “Brothers brand’’.

Brothers clubs have 12,000 juniors and among Queensland currently starring in the NRL Brothers juniors include Cam Smith, Daly Cherry-Evans, Johnathan Thurston, Billy Slater, Sam Thaiday and Corey Parker.

“We are ready. We can really make up some ground,’’ Barlow said.

The team’s administrative base would be at the Brothers Grange licenced club in Brisbane with plans for three regional junior academies at Cairns, Rockhampton and one servicing young players at the Ipswich, Logan and Toowoomba districts.

Brutus

Referee
Brothers would be a great addition.

Ticks so many boxes.

Maybe Robert Grogan could be the coach!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not much point in having 30k members if only 10k are in Brisbane where majority of games need to be played. Can they draw fans from outside the Brothers fraternities? Is there much rival party/Ill feeling that would get in the way of brisbanites getting behind them?

mickyj

Bench
Someone asked about brothers clubs on south side of Brisbane.

St Brendans, Logan Brothers and Mustangs are all strongly tied to Brothers.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

georgesnmith

Juniors
excellent article

if they can sort out finances they crap on all the other bids

like the mention of northern territory too.

8 games in brisbane is enough with the rest in regional centres.

no need then for a CQ NRL team

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Not much point in having 30k members if only 10k are in Brisbane where majority of games need to be played. Can they draw fans from outside the Brothers fraternities? Is there much rival party/Ill feeling that would get in the way of brisbanites getting behind them?

Where do you get your figures from? Because it sounds like you've pulled them from your arse.

byrner

Juniors

That 10K in Brisbane is more than the Pirates will get in all of WA.
Dont get me wrong, im all for a WA team; but it seems like you death ride any new bid or existing team who is looking like they are in trouble.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Where do you get your figures from? Because it sounds like you've pulled them from your arse.

yeh exactly.

all the article said was they would have 30k members in year one. it doesnt say they cant get 30k members in brisbane eventually

if this bid gets up they will have more members than the broncos, they will be more of a peoples club than the corporate broncos

georgesnmith

Juniors
That 10K in Brisbane is more than the Pirates will get in all of WA.
Dont get me wrong, im all for a WA team; but it seems like you death ride any new bid or existing team who is looking like they are in trouble.

10k fans in perth are worth 10 times as many fans elsewhere for perth red

Garbler

Juniors
Awesome sounds like their fitting all the pieces together.
Haven't they given the NRL some amazing players over the years, if they retain some of that talent as an NRL club they will be a very very good team.

georgesnmith

Juniors
brothers will give queensland rugby league the boost it needs

crowds for all of our queensland clubs arent the best

a new popular club like brothers will win back fans lost due to the broncos arrogance and super league

at origin level league is bullet proof but at club level we could be doing so much better

it wouldnt surprise me if the brothers were well marketed and offered reasonably priced tickets that they couldnt get 40 k crowds to every game at suncorp

further it will pressure the broncos to raise their crowds too

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Being Brisbane based I relay like the idea of a brothers bid. wouldn't become a bombers members but could definitely see myself adopting the brothers as my second team