What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Brothers bid

CQ Italia

Juniors
Not much point in having 30k members if only 10k are in Brisbane where majority of games need to be played. Can they draw fans from outside the Brothers fraternities? Is there much rival party/Ill feeling that would get in the way of brisbanites getting behind them?
Where were these fans when Brothers-Valleys combined and came back into the Qcup and went bust first season? ;-)

Imagaine if the NRL completely reject a bid with up to 15-20 million worth of sponsorship and do nothing to keep channel 9 happy? It's crazy with how many bids lining up after 5+ years!

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Where were these fans when Brothers-Valleys combined and came back into the Qcup and went bust first season? ;-)

Imagaine if the NRL completely reject a bid with up to 15-20 million worth of sponsorship and do nothing to keep channel 9 happy? It's crazy with how many bids lining up after 5+ years!

That was merger akin to the Northern Eagles, with all the problems that come along with a merger between rivals. Add to that they didn't win a game in the QLDcup and well what do you expect!

papabear

Juniors
Brothers bid vid looked good.

The failed q cup run is bad though, a failure in q cup is ahead of other bids.

taipan

Referee
competing with perth who had a failed nrl team, and the bears who also failed?

write off png too they had a failed Qld cup team.

Why not a combine team of past failures' The RammingRedCrusherBears " Play 3 games each at Perth/Adelaide/Brisbane/CC,that'll bring the crowds back. All bases covered.
Next????

CQ Italia

Juniors
With Balmain Tigers troubles in the WT merger, makes me think if a previous Easts Tigers (Brisbane) proposal to the Balmain Tigers would have worked for the NRL now as a second Brisbane 2 club.

BuffaloRules

Coach
With Balmain Tigers troubles in the WT merger, makes me think if a previous Easts Tigers (Brisbane) proposal to the Balmain Tigers would have worked for the NRL now as a second Brisbane 2 club.

If only they didn't get rid of the Crushers, Reds and Rams as well.

Brisbane wouldn't need a second club as they already had one!

I don't think dwelling on all the upheaval the game has gone through over the past 20 years will do much good.

georgesnmith

Juniors
all these expansion areas had teams before.

if it wasnt for super league wed probably have 4 queensland nrl clubs by now, 2 in nz and one in png.

set everything back 20 years.

BuffaloRules

Coach
excellent article

if they can sort out finances they crap on all the other bids

like the mention of northern territory too.

8 games in brisbane is enough with the rest in regional centres.

no need then for a CQ NRL team

I disagree with this.

The whole idea about a 2nd Brisbane team is around there being a game in Brisbane every week at the best rectangle stadium in the country.

Surely a 2nd Brisbane team can get a minimum of 20k pet game.

Yet you still want to take these games away to Mackay and Darwin in front of 8K crowds?

georgesnmith

Juniors
I disagree with this.

The whole idea about a 2nd Brisbane team is around there being a game in Brisbane every week at the best rectangle stadium in the country.

Surely a 2nd Brisbane team can get a minimum of 20k pet game.

Yet you still want to take these games away to Mackay and Darwin in front of 8K crowds?

yep.

covers more bases.

if they play one game in darwin that would be great.

love the whole idea of brothers playing games all around.

BuffaloRules

Coach
yep.

covers more bases.

if they play one game in darwin that would be great.

love the whole idea of brothers playing games all around.

Well, I can't agree with replacing 20K crowds with 8K ones...

Maybe Canberra and the Gold Coast can take their home games there against Brisbane 2 ... Won't be much of a difference crowd wise

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
NRL should bring in 2 more Brisbane teams (obviously not at once, but over time)....

Bring in the Brothers then if they really start to push support in SE Queensland bring in the Valley Diehards as well.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Well, I can't agree with replacing 20K crowds with 8K ones...

Maybe Canberra and the Gold Coast can take their home games there against Brisbane 2 ... Won't be much of a difference crowd wise

i actually think they can get 40k crowds at suncorp, broncos are lazy, espcially if its 8 games.

mackay and the other places can upgrade their grounds to 20k

the brothers bid has said something about regional areas improving their infrastructure.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Brothers bid vid looked good.

The failed q cup run is bad though, a failure in q cup is ahead of other bids.

That Qcup team was ten years ago now! And an unhappy marriage to boot.

Hardly has any bearing on things now.

NRL should bring in 2 more Brisbane teams (obviously not at once, but over time)....

Bring in the Brothers then if they really start to push support in SE Queensland bring in the Valley Diehards as well.

Yep that's the best way forward, add the Brothers have them playing half their games in Brisbane and the other half all over Queensland and Darwin too (or a Gypsy club as I like to call them), then in a few years time add another full time Brisbane team.

The Diehards brand would seem to be the logical one if Brothers get the nod, the two have a lot of history, but the Souths Magpies and Jets are better placed for a team and the Dolphins have always had ambitions for an NRL license, and of course there's always the possibility of new brands so who knows.

Latest posts