What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentary during the Olympics?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I really enjoyed the commentary today. Sterlo was cool and controlled and as usual insightful. Probably needs a bit more practice picking out the players with the ball or tackling. Gus decided it wasn't all about him and was funny at times and bounced off Johns and Sterlo well. Johns has good insight as you'd expect from a top halfback, and if he continues to leave the clowning to others will do well.

Freddy on the sideline is excellent.

Big Pete

Referee
No he hasn't.

He's come in and commentated a few Sunday games.

Believe one of them was a Broncos game. May have been against the Knights.

Didn't think Sterlo was much chop as main caller.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I'm quite worried we'll get a dose of Tim Gilbert next Friday. I have nightmares about him calling that Dogs game.

undertaker

Coach
Well the report card is in for Sterlo. He needs to watch the upward inflections, he made me very aware I was listening to commentary rather than being fully absorbed by Rabs soothing tones. Overall a solid call, a little bit Ray Hadley at times with the explaining each little detail, but he'll learn from that.

B-

I dunno, but Sterlo's voice as caller today sounded like one of those commentators on ESPN who call the European Champions League soccer (if you know what I mean). Did someone turn down the volume on his mic?

undertaker

Coach
Thomas is the backup caller for QLD Cup - Voss is the primary caller.

Although Thomas and Billy J Smith haven't called first-grade games for years, Thomas did call the Rd 3 2007 Broncos vs Penrith game (the one where the Panthers scored two tries in the last 3 mins to force the game into golden point IIRC). Any particular reason why he filled in that night?

SadShark

Bench
I enjoyed Sterlo's call as well. What I can't cop from this station however, is the continual cross promotion of all other Nine products they've obviously paid shitloads for and want to ram them down our throats.

Watching a play from the kick off, to then hear some shit about, The Voice, The Block, The Olympics - all 'Exclusively' on Nine, is bowel erupting at its fecal best.

I really hope Nine lose NRL broadcasting to another channel that respects rugby league more than cricket.

undertaker

Coach
I'm quite worried we'll get a dose of Tim Gilbert next Friday. I have nightmares about him calling that Dogs game.

Tim Gilbert better NOT call either Friday night game. If Vossy doesn't call either of them, then he must be in a lot more crap at Ch9 than we think.

Gilbo's voice is so monotonous he'd even give panadol a headache

undertaker

Coach
I enjoyed Sterlo's call as well. What I can't cop from this station however, is the continual cross promotion of all other Nine products they've obviously paid shitloads for and want to ram them down our throats.

Watching a play from the kick off, to then hear some shit about, The Voice, The Block, The Olympics - all 'Exclusively' on Nine, is bowel erupting at its fecal best.

I really hope Nine lose NRL broadcasting to another channel that respects rugby league more than cricket.

I think Sterlo has a lot of potential as caller. He did a lot better than I thought he would and given that it was his debut, he can only get better. Today, he did a far better job than Hadley has with his TV calls

Brutus

Referee
Although Thomas and Billy J Smith haven't called first-grade games for years, Thomas did call the Rd 3 2007 Broncos vs Penrith game (the one where the Panthers scored two tries in the last 3 mins to force the game into golden point IIRC). Any particular reason why he filled in that night?

Who is Thomas. The racing guy?

undertaker

Coach
Who is Thomas. The racing guy?

Correct. He used to be co-caller alongside Billy J Smith back in the early '90s and called Broncos/Gold Coast Seagulls home games as well as Origin (this was back when QLD used their own commentary team)

eozsmiles

Bench
Thought Sterlo did a top job. No screaming and shouting which was nice for a change. Gus ran off him pretty well today too. Didn't play too much silly buggers like he does with Rabs.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

I think Rabs was ill that weekend, as I remember Vossy calling the Parra/Wests Tigers friday night game and the Sunday alvo game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No he hasn't.

He's come in and commentated a few Sunday games.

Believe one of them was a Broncos game. May have been against the Knights.

Didn't think Sterlo was much chop as main caller.
Yes, Vossy has covered a couple of Sunday games and one or two FNF matches - but for the majority of 2012 he's been the chief caller on Sunday's 2:10pm Ch 9 QRL match.

If you're saying he's not, then he's been lying via Twitter ALL year.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade

It will happen on whatever station gets Rugby League. They all know how many eyeballs it attracts.

The one thing that going to a station like Ten would help is that other shows would be used to promote Rugby League, unlike the situation on Nine where they don't use anything to promote the game.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Vossy has certainly done all the QLD cup televised games in 2012. Done a fine job too.

James Brayshaw (Rowing) and Eddie McGuire (Marathon and Triathlon).
What a shame, I like rowing, but cannot stand that VFL f**k head. So no rowing.

Do't care much for Eddies sport, so all good.

carcharias

Immortal
poor ol sterlo got to call his own team getting pumped.

He did good I thought....from what I bothered listening to.

Patorick

Staff member
Vossy has certainly done all the QLD cup televised games in 2012. Done a fine job too.

What a shame, I like rowing, but cannot stand that VFL f**k head. So no rowing.

Do't care much for Eddies sport, so all good.
Shame there's no radio coverage, hey?

Latest posts