What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

macnaz

Staff member
How many shoulder charges has Chris Sandow pulled off? and because he is a midget they pose f**k all risk of being head high but yet it will still be illegal.. Soft!!

Frailty

First Grade
As I have said before... This doesn't stop already illegal hits from happening, all it does is make good tackles not illegal.

Bunniesman, please explain how the NRL would be liable for any injury suffered from a high shoulder charge? Note: Using the NFL as example is incorrect due to context i.e. NFL concealing information, and the US Duty of Care laws are vastly different to Australia's.

Furthermore, please explain why an illegal high tackle would apparently not have the same consequences of legal action?

In addition, explain how boxing has been able to avoid a waterfall of legal action taken against the fight commissions and organisations.

macnaz

Staff member
Also will a charge with the shoulder used to knock a winger in to touch while racing to the corner to score be given a penalty try now

themacemaceman

Juniors
Apparently according to the report given to the Commision 0.05% of the 142355 tackles were shoulder charges in 2012........ARE YOU SERIOUS! That's 71 shoulder charges for the season and about 1 every three games.

Good to see they are tackling the big issues ( but not shoulder charging

Now according to the report apparently "less than 4% resulting in injury to the attacking player" . So 4% of 71 tackles is .......drum roll please.....less than 3 tackles for the year!

On the flip side....... Maybe this is not such a big issue after all if they have deemed there was only 1 shoulder charge every 3 games on average!

I hope they come out with a clear definition of what a shoulder charge is.

hitman82

Bench
Apparently according to the report given to the Commision 0.05% of the 142355 tackles were shoulder charges in 2012........ARE YOU SERIOUS! That's 71 shoulder charges for the season and about 1 every three games.

Good to see they are tackling the big issues ( but not shoulder charging

Now according to the report apparently "less than 4% resulting in injury to the attacking player" . So 4% of 71 tackles is .......drum roll please.....less than 3 tackles for the year!

On the flip side....... Maybe this is not such a big issue after all if they have deemed there was only 1 shoulder charge every 3 games on average!

I hope they come out with a clear definition of what a shoulder charge is.

:lol: A clearly defined rule which is correctly and consistently interpreted by NRL referees = a flying monkey.

northwest9

Juniors
the good - it will stop cheap shot merkins like that sook Tahu from taking heads of players looking away

the bad - everything else. its a mans game. get rid of the cheapshots, not the tough shots

Rambo1'

Juniors
Wouldnt imagine anyone getting red carded for a shoulder charge as long as it doesnt come in contact with the head. There might be a few more than normal yellow cards next season tho..

LJC

Juniors
The shoulder charge is a small but spectacular part of the game.
It more often than not does not work.
So it is a risk to the defender.
The policing of this new rule will be interesting, although it is already barred in junior RL to the age of Under 18s. So I suppose the refs that have gone through the ranks will already know whats what.
Interestingly, Ive been to local junior RL grandfinals this year and the crowds at these game were immense, so it might not be the tragedy alot of us are discussing.
I would suggest the NRL monitor the TV ratings impact, if any, on this ruling and make an informed decision at the end of next season.
I do feel for players like SBW and Steve Matai as they do use this tactic as part of their playing style.
The game of RL is still far and away the most physically demanding of all the football codes.
In fact, RU players do about a quarter of the workload of a RL player on average. RL is a collision based game and has far & away the most tackles and therefore the most runs compared to RU. The physical impacts are there for all to see and this physicality is still part and parcel of the game which I believe is still its strength compared to other less contact oriented football codes such as AFL & RU,Grid Iron etc.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
Lol fans and players don't get a say when it comes to safety unless you believe they know more than doctors?

What a dumb f**k fallacy. Doctors don't make the rules, the commission makes the rules. Now how the f**k is the commission in a better position to interpret a doctor's report and assess the worthwhileness of the risk than the actual players?

Canard

Immortal
Why would the threat of lawsuits be any lower for any other physical aspect of the game?

That surely can't be the reason for the change, I think its purely PR.

_snafu_

Immortal
Please name one player that has died or has been seriously injured as a result of a shoulder charge.

hitman82

Bench
Please name one player that has died or has been seriously injured as a result of a shoulder charge.

The worst I can think of is a couple of broken jaws. Never seen a serious neck injury or similar from a shoulder charge.

Frailty

First Grade
The worst I can think of is a couple of broken jaws. Never seen a serious neck injury or similar from a shoulder charge.

Rothfield posted a photo of a player with a broken jaw...

I returned with a pic of Yow Yeh's leg which was far more serious and caused the player to be out longer...

BRB Banning jumping to contest for bombs.

Danish

Referee
What really irks me about this is the morons like our very own Roosters club doctor John Orchard waving their NFL-based studies around at everybody. Those studies have f**k ALL to do with our game.

The NFL players were not getting injured by shoulder charges. They were getting injured by direct helmet on helmet contact. Thats whay the NFL banned helmet-on-helmet tackles but DID NOT BAN THE f**kING SHOULDER CHARGE.

If these f**ksticks are that worried about it, perhaps they should conduct a study to actually scientifically prove the case against shoulder charges. Perhaps they can do testing on a range of ex-players and show the world that they are all suffering in silence from various brain injuries that they are claiming are imminent outcomes to allowing shoulder hits.

Fact is they haven't done an ounce of actual scientific work on this, and never will. They'll just click their tongues at anyone who argues against them and look down their noses at any suggestion that they might be wrong.

FFS there are far, FAR more dangerous sports in the world being competed in every day. Motorsport claims dozens of lives each year across amateur and professional levels yet they are still allowed to go on. Boxing and MMA fighting is based around intentionally trying to knock your opponent out, yet somehow those sports are not worried about lawsuits.

bottle

Coach
There's just so much wrong with this you don't know where to start.
How many players get knocked senseless each year by attempting a tackle and getting their head in the wrong place compared to thos ko'd by the shoulder?
Ridiculous.

themacemaceman

Juniors
And further to my earlier post in which I stated there were only 3 injuries related to shoulder charges last year.... Please note this is only 2 injuries more than the number of head injuries to players who fell out of bed on origin camp last year!