What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters
How are we going to market ourselves?

'We are like rugby with weaker scrums, but more tries'
'We like running into each other, as long as we don't hit too hard'
'Like NFL minus the hits and the pads'
'Safety first'

And it's such a nonsense that we had to do it because of the legal implications.

UFC and boxing are doing alright, aren't they?

magpie4ever

First Grade
Do I think there's more? Absolutely mate.

How can you say there is 2-3 a round when Ben Matulino alone puts on about 10 shoulder charges a game? ;-)

If Ben Matulino can not change his tackling style then he is not really a rugby league player - all he needs to do is use his arms, as well as his shoulder in tackles - basic skill for a rugby league player.

Springs

First Grade
If Ben Matulino can not change his tackling style then he is not really a rugby league player - all he needs to do is use his arms, as well as his shoulder in tackles - basic skill for a rugby league player.

Want to answer my questions about the tackles in the video mate?

magpie4ever

First Grade
And it's such a nonsense that we had to do it because of the legal implications.

UFC and boxing are doing alright, aren't they?

Boxing is on a steep slope to nowhere in this country, outside of the few world rated boxers.

UFC is just for the X-box brigade to see their games come to life (it is shit).

Juju

Juniors
So they have time to ban the shoulder charge but not release the draw on time. weak

Not entirely sure what that has to do with the discussion at hand?

Fire

First Grade
magpie4ever challenging bunnieswoman in this thread for the dumbest merkin on LU I see...

Boxing is on a steep slope to nowhere in this country, outside of the few world rated boxers.

Again, has nothing to do with what I said.

Stop going off on a tangent and interrupting conversations with your off-topic remarks.

haha

Juniors

UFC is still the fastest growing sport in the world, and it's not because of its safety first measures.
Fans get what they want to see.
Sounds like league is going to head down the same path as boxing if it softens it up too much.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Want to answer my questions about the tackles in the video mate?

I haven't watch the video but:

The game is a contact sport, there will always be injury (concussions etc). This ban is an attempt to limit possible brain injuries arising years after a player retires. It is an attempt but will not and never completely eliminate such possiblities.

Danish

Referee
If people thought the game had too much boring "4 x hit ups then kick to the corner" stuff before, just wait and see how bad it gets now.

With no risk of being blindsided or smashed in the tackle, forwards will simply charge the ball up as hard as possible, knowing the defender can no longer risk knocking him over and instead having to simply absorb the momentum passively, or risk giving away an offload or quick play the ball by trying to take the legs.

One out running is about to become the golden ticket out of your own end, and the only combat against it will be huge amounts of gang tackles. Sounds like some entertaining footy to me :sarcasm:

Springs

First Grade
I haven't watch the video but:

The game is a contact sport, there will always be injury (concussions etc). This ban is an attempt to limit possible brain injuries arising years after a player retires. It is an attempt but will not and never completely eliminate such possiblities.

You should watch it, otherwise you have no f**king idea what it's about. Most of the tackles in the video had players use their arms or their chest and the attacker bounced off with as much force as a shoulder charge. If they are not penalties but the shoulder charge is, well it makes the ban useless because there are still more hits that cause as much damage. If they are penalties it is bullshit because they aren't f**king shoulder charges.

Latest posts