What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaint of racial abuse in Roosters v Broncos

Nealo 12

First Grade
There are some key differences:

a) Samantha is a woman

b) Samantha is a woman whose worldviews (I would guess) align more closely with those of Megan Rapinoe than Pauline Hanson

b) Samantha is a lesbian

c) Samantha plays a game (women's football) where the type of people who follow it closely are much more likely to also be the kind of people who hold luxury beliefs such as "racism against white people doesn't exist".

d) denies she said it now

e) hid being arrested for a long period of time

f) Bambi type character

g) cant handle getting on the piss

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Zero credit to Spencer but I think the Roosters have done the right thing here, likely talked him into the guilty plea understanding it'll help reduce his suspension - and added bonus the club comes out looking good too
Nope the club looks awful

Meth

Staff member

but yeah, it’s hard to prove intent. You either disregard it as a factor or you accept his assertion that he didn’t mean it as a racist jibe.

I think you have to do the former.

Meth

Staff member
I think Leniu has put the Roosters in a no-win position here. They could have been far worse.

Danish

Referee
I don't think what Kerr said was acceptable, but does it really rise to the level of a criminal charge for "aggravating behaviour causing alarm or distress"?

It would be the same if someone had used black instead of white - racially motivated yes, absolutely punishable by the sporting bodies involved... but criminal charges that could result in imprisonment? And it took them over a year to file those charges? Seems over the top.

id say the fact she did it after vomiting in a taxi then arguing over the cleaning fee is why they decided to lump her with a charge.

being a merkin to cops is never smart. Being a merkin to cops while also being a merkin to someone just doing their job is downright idiotic and you deserve to cop whatever pedantic charge coming your way

RedVee

First Grade
but yeah, it’s hard to prove intent. You either disregard it as a factor or you accept his assertion that he didn’t mean it as a racist jibe.

I think you have to do the former.
All I was saying is that if Leniu is going to claim it wasn’t his intention to be racist, it’s fair to ask him ok then, what was your intention?

RedVee

First Grade
id say the fact she did it after vomiting in a taxi then arguing over the cleaning fee is why they decided to lump her with a charge.

being a merkin to cops is never smart. Being a merkin to cops while also being a merkin to someone just doing their job is downright idiotic and you deserve to cop whatever pedantic charge coming your way
She must have eaten a bad oyster ;)

Meth

Staff member
All I was saying is that if Leniu is going to claim it wasn’t his intention to be racist, it’s fair to ask him ok then, what was your intention?

well, he could say he meant it to be derogatory, but was unaware of racial connotations. But yeah, I don’t buy that.

Canard

Immortal
Kerr is being dealt with much more harshly then Leniu, when it comes to legal process.

There isn't even a suggestion of Spencer having to front a trial of at least 4 days over this incident.

Kerr is being dealt with much more harshly then Leniu, when it comes to legal process.

There isn't even a suggestion of Spencer having to front a trial of at least 4 days over this incident.
Would she have gone to trial if she said it in a match? When do civil laws come into it?

Vlad59

Bench
Would she have gone to trial if she said it in a match? When do civil laws come into it?
I don’t even get the comparisons. There was a dispute over a taxi fare after she’d thrown up in it. The cops trying to do his job and she racially abuses him in such a manner charges are pressed. I don’t know whether the charge is warranted but the cops think so. If they are wrong she’ll be okay. If not she can wear the outcome. Meanwhile politicians across Australia are saying she’s innocent for populist reasons.

Hopefully they don't come down too hard on Spencer. I think it will be hard for him to receive a fair sentence. With the Broncos saying Ezra was bawling his eyes out in the rooms and all of the media jumping all over it. You have Vossy and Latrell saying he should get 10 or 12 weeks. If they only give him 1 or 2 games everyone will jump up and down again.

Latest posts