What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaint of racial abuse in Roosters v Broncos

ACTPanthers

Bench
No you are wrong. I’m not saying he did it because it’s only an allegation. Others here are saying he did it. That’s potentially defamatory.
No, you're wrong... By me saying I think he did it, it's an opinion. You saying you'll wait for the outcome, is your opinion. Make sense?

Really bro? Defamatory? You're clutching those pearls tighter than anyone in here.

What’s the odds on monkey masks appearing in the Chook Pen next time these teams face off?

You would hope not. If the allegation is proven true surely Roosters fans would be just as disgusted in Leniu as the rest of the NRL. They would ask themselves what sort of person they've welcomed into their ranks?

Vlad59

Juniors
No, you're wrong... By me saying I think he did it, it's an opinion. You saying you'll wait for the outcome, is your opinion. Make sense?

Really bro? Defamatory? You're clutching those pearls tighter than anyone in here.
That’s not what is being said here. People are saying it happened as a fact. It isn’t a fact. It’s an allegation. And yes it’s potentially defamatory. I

Vlad59

Juniors
You would hope not. If the allegation is proven true surely Roosters fans would be just as disgusted in Leniu as the rest of the NRL. They would ask themselves what sort of person they've welcomed into their ranks?
Now this is a good post

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You’d hope so. But there’s always those few who’ll dig in

gerg

Juniors
He said that just because Mam is adamant he heard it, it doesn't mean he's right.

If he just wanted it to go through the formal process, he wouldn't have said that. He would have just offered no comment. By saying it doesn't mean he's right, he's trying to influence the outcome, saying he either made it up or mis-heard what was said.

It's unacceptable.

But I shouldn't be surprised. The Chookpen is full of posts calling the NRL woke and saying that it can't be racial abuse if it's from a black man to a black man, and that what happens on the field stays on the field. Roosters fans will excuse anything if it comes from someone in red, white and blue.

Haha... he said he has no comment and then comments on it, by just saying Ezra could be a liar.

gerg

Juniors
Teddy wouldn't stand to play alongside a racist player, I'm sure he would be absolutely disgusted with this whole incident.

Vlad59

Juniors
Well this is like arguing with a brick wall...

IT IS AN OPINION.

Sorry but what are you calling him out on? Hating racism? Yeah what a merkin hey?
Interesting
There is an important difference in defamation law between stating an opinion and defaming someone. Saying, “I think Cindy is annoying” is an opinion and is something that can’t ever really be empirically proven true or false. Saying “I think Cindy stole a car” is still an opinion but implies she committed a crime. If the accusation is untrue, then it will defame her.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Interesting
There is an important difference in defamation law between stating an opinion and defaming someone. Saying, “I think Cindy is annoying” is an opinion and is something that can’t ever really be empirically proven true or false. Saying “I think Cindy stole a car” is still an opinion but implies she committed a crime. If the accusation is untrue, then it will defame her.
Interesting.
Given that Spencer essentially admitted it, do you think the same applies here?

Vlad59

Juniors
Interesting.
Given that Spencer essentially admitted it, do you think the same applies here?
Not sure. It’s also arguable he didn’t admit to it and made an off hand comment. I’ve witnessed racism against players in footy clubs I’ve been involved in and despise it. If this is proven it should be his season gone in my opinion. Vlandys came out strongly against racism today (in appropriately broad terms),

ACTPanthers

Bench
Not sure. It’s also arguable he didn’t admit to it and made an off hand comment. I’ve witnessed racism against players in footy clubs I’ve been involved in and despise it. If this is proven it should be his season gone in my opinion. Vlandys came out strongly against racism today (in appropriately broad terms),
Not arguable in my opinion - He admitted to it and it would be easily determined if the need arose.

I've been a victim of racism so we definitely agree on that aspect of this at least.

Vlad59

Juniors
Not arguable in my opinion - He admitted to it and it would be easily determined if the need arose.

I've been a victim of racism so we definitely agree on that aspect of this at least.
100%. Now he’s been charged we’ll see how it plays out.