What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaint of racial abuse in Roosters v Broncos

Apey

Staff member
He said that just because Mam is adamant he heard it, it doesn't mean he's right.

If he just wanted it to go through the formal process, he wouldn't have said that. He would have just offered no comment. By saying it doesn't mean he's right, he's trying to influence the outcome, saying he either made it up or mis-heard what was said.

It's unacceptable.

But I shouldn't be surprised. The Chookpen is full of posts calling the NRL woke and saying that it can't be racial abuse if it's from a black man to a black man, and that what happens on the field stays on the field. Roosters fans will excuse anything if it comes from someone in red, white and blue.
First Teddy, then Leniu. I think it's a culture thing there.

Vlad59

Bench
Is there an on-field precedent for what sort of penalty he can expect if found guilty? I cant remember
If he’s found guilty and unless there is mitigation (and what could that possibly be in this case) he’ll get a long sentence - 10 weeks I reckon.

Valheru

Coach
He said that just because Mam is adamant he heard it, it doesn't mean he's right.

If he just wanted it to go through the formal process, he wouldn't have said that. He would have just offered no comment. By saying it doesn't mean he's right, he's trying to influence the outcome, saying he either made it up or mis-heard what was said.

It's unacceptable.

But I shouldn't be surprised. The Chookpen is full of posts calling the NRL woke and saying that it can't be racial abuse if it's from a black man to a black man, and that what happens on the field stays on the field. Roosters fans will excuse anything if it comes from someone in red, white and blue.
He did offer no comment.

Then was told Mam is adamant. He simply stated that doesn't make it true which it doesn't and it needs to be investigated.

If you see anything else in that answer than you're just looking for a reason to be offended.

Mojo

Bench
A few angles on all of this that are running through my mind:

1. has there been any significant publicity or reaction to this in the USA?

2. is it possible that the NRL can demonstrate to the USA audience, media, sport admin etc. how seriously and efficiently it deals with allegations of racial vilification? After all, the USA isn't exactly renowned for setting the benchmarks in this arena.

3. when will the media adopt an ethical standard of not opining or seeking to broadcast people's opinions about such matters e.g., interviewing the players and coaches before the matter is even made official? They practically salivate over such things, especially in the heat of the moment. The only possible result is that the interviewee will say something that will inflame the situation, whether their words are taken as intended or misinterpreted. A rational debate is necessary. Issues such as this shouldn't be the subject of sensationalism and hyperbole.

Last edited:

Vlad59

Bench
Well don’t get personal then.

If he was sent off, the game would be seen in a better light.

Anyway, there is a rumour Spencer spoke his mind to the aggrieved player at the hotel that night.
More utter nonsense. You can’t send a player off on the basis of an allegation. That’s just plain silly. But continue on with your rant.

soc123_au

Staff member
3. when will the media adopt an ethical standard of not opining or seeking to broadcast people's opinions about such matters e.g., interviewing the players and coaches before the matter is even made official? They practically salivate over such things, especially in the heat of the moment. The only possible result is that the interviewee will say something that will inflame the situation, whether they're words are taken as intended or misinterpreted. A rational debate is necessary. Issues such as this shouldn't be the subject of sensationalism and hyperbole.
Never. Their job is to generate clicks or sell papers. They get a hard on for this type of thing and will fan the flames as quickly and for as long as possible.

What’s the odds on monkey masks appearing in the Chook Pen next time these teams face off?
IMG_1927.jpeg
Whoever holds up this sign might swap Quagmire for this character.

Latest posts