What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings - 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stapleton will be the one that needs to move on and he is a pritty decent player to already in the NSW Cup and I see no sign of him getting a run even with Gardner already out.

eozsmiles

Bench
What is Gardner worth and will they keep him as a back up if he is, say, $150k plus? Wright seems to go pretty ok.

Pigskin

Juniors
Surely Gordon has to play wing or centre if Gardner is actually fit any time in the next 5 years ?

Gardner is an NRL fullback ... he runs so fast, he injures himself with every carry !

Great signing for the Sharks if Gordon recovers fully.

Oink !

gronkathon

First Grade
Wests Tigers announce

Wests Tigers has today announced the signings of two highly regarded forwards, a talented utility and the re-signing of one of the Club’s most exciting young backs.
The Club has secured the services of 24-year-old South Sydney back-rower Eddy Pettybourne for the next 3 years and 23-year-old Gold Coast Titans forward Bodene Thompson for the next 2 years, both from 2013.
Former Penrith utility Masada Iosefa will join Wests Tigers immediately for the remainder of this season and next year.
Current Wests Tigers NYC winger David Nofoaluma has re-signed with the Club for a further two years.
“We obviously needed to bolster the back row position with the return to England of international Gareth Ellis at the end of the season,’’ said Wests Tigers CEO Stephen Humphreys.
“With the experience of over 120 NRL matches between them, Eddy and Bodene will perfectly compliment the good group of young forwards we have coming through our ranks.
“Whilst best known as a hooker, Masada can cover a range of positions and will provide valuable depth to our roster.
“We are also very pleased to extend the contract of David Nofoaluma. He is one of the most exciting young players in the NYC and we look forward to him forcing his way into the NRL squad in the foreseeable future.”
Pettybourne said he was determined to finish the season on a high at South Sydney before heading to Wests Tigers.
“I have enjoyed my time at Souths, having come through the juniors to NRL. I am very excited about joining Wests Tigers and starting a new chapter in my career.”
South Sydney Head Coach Michael Maguire wished Pettybourne well.
“Eddy has been a big part of this Club for a number of years and is an important part of our 2012 season as well,” Maguire said.
“He’s improved his game each week but this is a big opportunity for Eddy and we wish him the best of luck with his move to the Tigers at season’s end.”
Thompson said he was grateful for the opportunity given to him by the Titans.
“I owe a lot to the Gold Coast for bringing me through my development and I want to finish the season off well,’’ he said.
“I am at the stage of my career where I feel like I am ready to play my best football and I look forward to working under Head Coach Tim Sheens and teaming up with some of my former Keebra Park High School mates at Wests Tigers.”
Eddy Pettybourne
DOB: 13/2/1988; Birthplace: Christchurch, NZ; Junior Club: Mascot Jets; Position: Second row/prop; Height: 181cm; Weight: 101kg; Rep Honours: Four Nations squad for NZ (2009); NRL debut: South Sydney v North Queensland, ANZ Stadium, Rd 19 2007; NRL career: 78 games, 12 tries, 48 points.
Bodene Thompson
DOB: 1/8/1988; Birthplace: Tauranga, NZ; Junior Club: Tauranga City Sharks; Position: Second-row/lock; Height: 185cm; Weight: 106kg; Rep Honours: NZ Maori (2010); NRL Debut: Gold Coast v Newcastle, EnergyAustralia Stadium, Rd 9 2009; NRL career: 49 games, 9 tries, 36 points.
Masada Iosefa
DOB: 26/1/1988; Birthplace: Mootootua, Samoa; Junior Club: Blacktown City, Height: 178cm; Weight: 91kg, Position: Hooker; NRL Debut: Penrith v St George Illawarra, ANZ Stadium, Rd 15 2008; Career: 2008-11 Penrith 28 games, 5 tries, 20 points; 2012 Canberra.
David Nofoaluma
DOB: 28/11/1993; Birthplace: Sydney; Height: 175 cm; Weight: 90 kg; Position:Wing; Rep. Honours:Australian Schoolboys 2010, NSW U18s 2011; Junior Clubs: Campbelltown Collegians; 2012 NYC: 10 games, 9 tries, 36 points.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news-display/MAJOR-SIGNING-NEWS-FOR-WESTS-TIGERS/55687

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Meh. We weren't about to give a decent but certainly not great player like Pettybourne a 3 year deal when we have bigger fish to fry in terms of retention.

We have plenty of depth not to need him and that 200k can go towards keeping the likes of Burgess and GI.

gronkathon

First Grade
Pettybourne is a good pickup.

He was always likely to be a casualty of the money Rusty Phac doled out for the entire Burgess clan

hunters

Juniors
Pettybourne is a good pickup.

He was always likely to be a casualty of the money Rusty Phac doled out for the entire Burgess clan
Well, he could be a good pick up. If the change gets him back to playing how he was 2 or 3 years ago he will be great for you. Unfortunately he has been very soft the last year or so apart from a few games.

I know most bunnies fans have been calling for him to be cut at the end of the year but hopefully he can go on and become what he could be.

Meh. We weren't about to give a decent but certainly not great player like Pettybourne a 3 year deal when we have bigger fish to fry in terms of retention.

We have plenty of depth not to need him and that 200k can go towards keeping the likes of Burgess and GI.

It's amazing how when they are at Souths they are another boom junior, full of pride, spirit and glory, but when they leave........meh!

Refer Beau Champion.

Geez I miss Dave Q.

bottle

Coach
It's amazing how when they are at Souths they are another boom junior, full of pride, spirit and glory, but when they leave........meh!

Refer Beau Champion.

Geez I miss Dave Q.

It's a simple precept really.

Sign with, rumoured to sign with, currently signed with and not talked about as going anywhere else, or even being dreamt of as signed with Souths = Bestest most championest player in the world/universe/galaxy.

Signs with someone else = Meh.

It's a mature and reasoned approach. I'm surprised you have an issue with it.

Sign with, rumoured to sign with, currently signed with and not talked about as going anywhere else, or even being dreamt of as signed with Souths = Bestest most championest player in the world/universe/galaxy.

Thanks Bottler......all better now.

Ziggy the God

First Grade

I thought it was more along the lines of, Souffs players are laughable, fat, useless merkins, metho addicts....

Then signed elsewhere, gun signing, up and comer, model citizen...

You know the drill.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
we do imo,i dont wanna see fulton or humble at hooker when robbie playing SOO
plus hes uderated and will offer a lot more at 14 and he can get the tigers going forward with some great runs

Politoni can do that. I think Iosefa is a waste of time/money.

I like the other signings though. And if Bunniesman is happy seeing Pettybourne go then he will be a great signing. :lol:

BunniesMan

Immortal

Refer Beau Champion.

Geez I miss Dave Q.
We have Adrian Ha'angana coming up through the ranks. He is a backrower with plenty of potential and there is only a matter of time until he cracks 1st grade.

We have plenty of backrowers, we didn't need to give this guy a 3 year deal.

I'm not talking him down, he is a solid player but we have a number of others similar to him as well as up and comers with more potential than him.

Our decisions in terms of who to go after and who to let go have been pretty solid in the last 2 years or so.
It's not the players mate, it's the fans.
He's talking about how idiots on LU have a habit of talking down anyone in a Souths jersey but if they sign elsewhere they're world beaters.

Sandow was called the worst regular #7 in the comp by many on LU, then when he signed for the Eels he was the next big thing and we were going to go backwards this year without him. Well it turns out a rookie coming off the back of a year on the sidelines is doing a better job than him.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
It's always shame when a local boy moves on. He hasn't quite been the same since he smashed his jaw - but has played well of late. I wish him nothing but the best. A real whole-hearted player if there ever was one.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Politoni can do that. I think Iosefa is a waste of time/money.

I like the other signings though. And if Bunniesman is happy seeing Pettybourne go then he will be a great signing. :lol:
Not "happy" to see him go. In a perfect world we'd have kept him but glad we didn't go overboard in keeping him when we have other priorities. A 24 year old fringe player is not worth a 3 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts