What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

confused

joshie

Live Update Team
if i work out, and then eat is that bad for you?

or even if i work out and not eat?

i have been trying to stay clear of eating after my nightly run but I was told this could have health hazards and someone said to not eat?

very confused!

Thomas

First Grade
Your body needs fuel man. Starve yourself and you won't get anywhere.

I have a small snack about an hour before a workout. Nothing big, just some fruit and perhaps some nuts. After a workout, I'll have a protein shake within 20 minutes and then eat normally. I wouldn't be throwing down a pie or anything but you need to put fuel into your body after a workout.

joshie

Live Update Team
i probably should clarify a bit more!

my day is normally set out like

Breakfast
light as workout
lunch
mid arvo snack
dinner
medium to intense work out
should food go here ? or just bed.

Shorty

Staff member
Also, why are you working out late? That can sort of mess with your metabolism a bit.
But yeah, a protein shake is what I'd take after your nightly run.

Cliffhanger

Coach
You shouldn't workout within 5 hours of going to bed, it overstimulates your body and disturbs your sleep. The only exercise you should have within 5 hours of going to sleep is sex, because your body responds to that differently.

Your most important meals are the ones you have post workout regardless of your goals.

You shouldn't be running late at night to be honest, running before dinner is all good and well, but leaving it too late is a mistake.

Also don't have a protein shake late at night. Protein puts your body to work, and a large dose of protein before bed will make it hard for you to fall asleep.

Some yoghurt with flax seeds and berries would be the way to go. It's not that high in carbs and after a run your body needs some anyway.

joshie

Live Update Team
Also, why are you working out late? That can sort of mess with your metabolism a bit.
But yeah, a protein shake is what I'd take after your nightly run.

I have always struggled with weight and i guess i have it in my head that running this late will somehow help me lose weight faster. I hate going to bed feeling like i have not done anything. I deal with constant mind battles about my physical appearance all stemming from when i was 140kgs +

joshie

Live Update Team
You shouldn't workout within 5 hours of going to bed, it overstimulates your body and disturbs your sleep. The only exercise you should have within 5 hours of going to sleep is sex, because your body responds to that differently.

Your most important meals are the ones you have post workout regardless of your goals.

You shouldn't be running late at night to be honest, running before dinner is all good and well, but leaving it too late is a mistake.

Also don't have a protein shake late at night. Protein puts your body to work, and a large dose of protein before bed will make it hard for you to fall asleep.

Some yoghurt with flax seeds and berries would be the way to go. It's not that high in carbs and after a run your body needs some anyway.

wow this is some really helpful insight. I really thought exercising would help me sleep, but I guess sex is the only way to go in that regard, but that is fine with me ;) :p

will go for a run and stuff tonight before dinner and see how i feel :) thank you, will let you know what happens, because i have been struggling for sleep lately....hmmm.

_snafu_

Immortal
i probably should clarify a bit more!

my day is normally set out like

Breakfast
light as workout
lunch
mid arvo snack
dinner
medium to intense work out
should food go here ? or just bed.

I would have the workout before dinner.

I personally find it uncomfortable to go to bed shortly after having a big meal.

My appetite is less after a workout, so I ensure I eat something that is light for dinner, like steamed brown rice and veggies with some tuna or chicken.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Joshie, you're more likely to lose weight by going for a run first thing in the morning in a fasted state. That will promote the burning of stored fat.

So I would suggest going for a run in the morning.

joshie

Live Update Team
Joshie, you're more likely to lose weight by going for a run first thing in the morning in a fasted state. That will promote the burning of stored fat.

So I would suggest going for a run in the morning.

oh okay! thanks for the never ending tips cliff :) will let you know

Danish

Referee
As people have said, probably best to try and move where your workout to before dinner to help you get to sleep etc.

But really, if running at night works for you (and it CLEARLY does given your huge weightloss over a number of years) then I wouldn't go changing it.

IMO following very strict rules about what time to eat, when to exercise etc are only for the absolute fanatics. Providing your net calorie intake across the day is inside the level you are happy with then I wouldn't stress too much about exactly when to eat etc.

joshie

Live Update Team
As people have said, probably best to try and move where your workout to before dinner to help you get to sleep etc.

But really, if running at night works for you (and it CLEARLY does given your huge weightloss over a number of years) then I wouldn't go changing it.

IMO following very strict rules about what time to eat, when to exercise etc are only for the absolute fanatics. Providing your net calorie intake across the day is inside the level you are happy with then I wouldn't stress too much about exactly when to eat etc.

yeah thats true! i am all about trying to avoid health risks though! love life :p

and change might be good too, a bit over the same routine! but very valid point Danish

Cliffhanger

Coach
I wouldn't call it fanatical, it's just a few little things that will make things easier. Getting the results isn't the hardest part maintaining it is and little things like eating six times a day three hours apart helps because it stops you from getting hungry, helps your muscles repair and develop quicker and improves your metabolism.

Further, he's already having problems sleeping then he needs to change something. Not getting enough sleep effects your energy and this will make you hungrier. It's also increases stress which is bad for your cortisol levels, high cortisol levels lead to excess glucose in your system

redvscotty

First Grade
When getting home from the gym I usually leave it for an hour then have a hot shower and have no problems with sleep. Might be just me though.

Frailty

First Grade
I wouldn't call it fanatical, it's just a few little things that will make things easier. Getting the results isn't the hardest part maintaining it is and little things like eating six times a day three hours apart helps because it stops you from getting hungry, helps your muscles repair and develop quicker and improves your metabolism.

Further, he's already having problems sleeping then he needs to change something. Not getting enough sleep effects your energy and this will make you hungrier. It's also increases stress which is bad for your cortisol levels, high cortisol levels lead to excess glucose in your system

That isn't true - it's an absolute fallacy.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Nope, while a few studies have refuted this, the far majority of them support the claim and even if it didn't boost your metabolism the psychological affect helps.

And whilst running on an empty stomach in the morning after your body has been without fuel for a good 8 hours + may promote fat being used as fuel, in the long run you are far better off to exercise when glycogen stores are replenished. This will allow you to work harder and push yourself to your limits.

Rather then exercise on an empty stomach, have something small for breakfast to give you some fuel to burn. This will also kickstart your metabolism, which is much better then fasting.