What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

confused

Pete Cash

Post Whore
That 8 hours minimum sleep thing is a myth. Plenty of people get by of a lot less.

I sleep 5-6 hours a night and 6-7 or the weekends and do fine. My wife conversely needs 10 hours a day most of the time.

Providing you feel ok when you wake up you are probably getting enough for your body

Except once again this forum is for health fitness and well being and when chasing fitness goals getting optimal sleep seems to be the way to go.

I just provided an academic work that stated the more sleep one gets the better especially if one has fitness based goals like losing weight. Muscle is repaired during sleep.

Did everyone just miss that article or something.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
If you read some scholarly articles you will see that, that is a guideline for the average person but there are people who can cope with less. There are people who only need about 5 hours of sleep a night and are perfectly healthy.

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/how-sleep-works/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need

Greenie, leftie, hippie, stoner, close enough, why be pedantic about it? Both of them have limited understandings of the world and politics.

Also, while I appreciate your attempts to increase my vocabulary, you should know I worked as a journalist for two years and studied literature at university.

Firstly you must have had one hell of an editor lol

Now, hippies haven't really existed since 1969 but I understand you aren't exactly a very intelligent person. That is cool but I am pretty much the complete opposite of a hippie. I drive a FG XR6 turbo ffs. If you are going to insult me get it right love.

Also your own article says that the optimal level of sleep for an adult is 8 hours. NEXT PLEASE.

As I said if you want to get by on zero sleep go for it but if you have health goals going for the full 8 hours is a good idea.

Cliffhanger

Coach
It also acknowledges there are exceptions to this rule. Seeing as I have a resting heart rate of 45 beats per minute, run 15ks in under an hour, can keep up to my strict workout schedule and currently my body fat percentage is under 17 per cent - which for a chick is phenomenal- what I'm doing seems to be working. Six hours is what works for me. I go alright on seven but eight hours of sleep make me feel drowsy during the day. I know what works for me.

Also I do not intentionally try and get no sleep in summer, I literally can't fall asleep.

How about you stick to trying to be the smart guy and I will stick to what I live, eat and breathe which is health and fitness.

I don't read over my posts after posting them, I used to read over my articles three times before submitting them and I must have been doing something right as I did manage to write three front page stories for the only national newspaper.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yes maybe you are some kind of super god but its not a recommended for anyone less godlike than you if they have fitness goals. Especially weight loss and muscle development. Obviously I mean for humans. Not whatever awe inspiring creature that you have become.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah, I only posted an actual study into sleep and weight loss. bloo bloo bloo those dribbling scientists lol

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Let me just copy and paste again (source is a few posts back cant be arsed repasting that)

Dribbling Scientist said:
"If your goal is to lose fat, skipping sleep is like poking sticks in your bicycle wheels," said study director Plamen Penev, MD, PhD, assistant professor of medicine at the University of Chicago. "Cutting back on sleep, a behavior that is ubiquitous in modern society, appears to compromise efforts to lose fat through dieting. In our study it reduced fat loss by 55 percent."

Pete Cash

Post Whore
statistically relevant Here is a bigger one that shows sleep patterns

http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/sleepdiet.htm

These findings, presented at the 2006 American Thoracic Society International Conference, showed that women who slept 5 hours per night were 32% more likely to experience major weight gain (an increase of 33 pounds or more) and 15% more likely to become obese over the course of the 16-year study, compared to those who slept 7 hours a night.

Those women who slept 6 hours per night were still 12% more likely to experience major weight gain, and 6% more likely to become obese, compared to women who slept 7 hours a night.

This is the largest study to track the effects of sleep habits on weight gain over time; it included nearly 70,000 middle-aged women.

Sleep is as important as diet and exercise.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
This would be more pertinent if Cliffy was trying to lose weight, but as she doesn't have that particular problem I don't see a huge issue for her. I'd probably add bulking up to to that too but she's not doing that either.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Nobody thinks sleep isn't important, but not everybody needs the same amount of sleep and for some of us getting good quality sleep is a struggle we would help if we could.

Latest posts