What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

confused

Cliffhanger

Coach
Of course burning carbs instead of fat when you run is going to allow you to run more effectively, carbs are a quicker form of energy. But if you're running when you're cutting or to burn some extra fat, then running in a fasted state is the way to go.

If you are going to eat something, don't have a full breakfast, eat an apple then when you finish your run have breakfast.

Frailty

First Grade
Of course burning carbs instead of fat when you run is going to allow you to run more effectively, carbs are a quicker form of energy. But if you're running when you're cutting or to burn some extra fat, then running in a fasted state is the way to go.

If you are going to eat something, don't have a full breakfast, eat an apple then when you finish your run have breakfast.

Where are you getting your information from?

Whilst it would burn your fat stores, when you finally eat afterwards you won't be using that energy thus it will be returned to fat stores unless you are really doing a massive (and unhealthy) deficit in calories.

He would be better of eating and going for a run so he has the additional energy to burn overall calories/kilojoules more effectively.

Cliffhanger

Coach

Joker's Wild

Coach
Most of what I have read backs up Cliffy in regards to cardio 1st thing in the morning

do you have any links that refute this Frailty? Id be interested to read the other side

joshie

Live Update Team
i got up and did a ten minute cross training routine and my god it is hard to arise from slumber and hit the excerise straight away but i feel pretty good.

and i did not exercise before bed and guess who crashed at 11.30. first time i have fallen asleep before 4AM in about 2 weeks :)

Thomas

First Grade
I seriously cannot work out early in the morning. I mean, I can physically do it but the effort just isn't there. I run slower and can barely lift weights. I've started cycling for an hour every morning (a really hard cycle 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back) and I feel better for it but it is hard. Plus I have a wee kid at home now so I generally try and spend any free time in the morning sleeping.

Johns Magic

Referee
I can't work out straight after waking up.

I'm working out in the mornings at the moment, and I have to wake up at 6, have breakfast and a coffee in front of the TV at my own leisurely pace for a little bit, have a shower, and then only start my workout at 7.

If I try rolling out of bed and working out within 20 minutes I just don't have the effort to get the most of my sesh.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
NOTHING wrong with doing weights late in the evening, if you lift heavy you'll exhaust yourself enough that sleep won;t be a problem. Cardio's best earlier though.

abpanther

Staff member
I just started morning workouts last week, wake up and 30 mins later im training, all good

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Wait...you just told people not to work out before bed because it might impact your sleep and you admit you get nowhere near enough sleep for a healthy person. Wowsers.

Cliffhanger

Coach
6 hours of sleep is fine and I can't sleep in summer because of the heat, it's not out of choice. Nice try though. Nice try, now go back to spreading your hippy agenda in 4C

Pete Cash

Post Whore
hahaha for an active person you should be getting 7.5-8 hours minimum. Don't lecture people when you yourself have unhealthy habits.

Also being left wing is not synonymous with being a hippie. Synonymous means "same as" I understand you probably don't get big words and all :)

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Bullshit. everyone needs different amounts of sleep

Yes but not everyone maintains an active lifestyle. People in this forum are largely here because they are out to achieve certain goals.

If one has fitness goals (such as getting stronger, losing bodyfat etc) they should be really erring on the side of getting too much sleep.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101004211637.htm

"If your goal is to lose fat, skipping sleep is like poking sticks in your bicycle wheels," said study director Plamen Penev, MD, PhD, assistant professor of medicine at the University of Chicago. "Cutting back on sleep, a behavior that is ubiquitous in modern society, appears to compromise efforts to lose fat through dieting. In our study it reduced fat loss by 55 percent."

The three components really are exercise, diet and sleep.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
hahaha for an active person you should be getting 7.5-8 hours minimum. Don't lecture people when you yourself have unhealthy habits.

Also being left wing is not synonymous with being a hippie. Synonymous means "same as" I understand you probably don't get big words and all :)

That 8 hours minimum sleep thing is a myth. Plenty of people get by of a lot less.

I sleep 5-6 hours a night and 6-7 or the weekends and do fine. My wife conversely needs 10 hours a day most of the time.

Providing you feel ok when you wake up you are probably getting enough for your body

Cliffhanger

Coach

If you read some scholarly articles you will see that, that is a guideline for the average person but there are people who can cope with less. There are people who only need about 5 hours of sleep a night and are perfectly healthy.

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/how-sleep-works/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need

Greenie, leftie, hippie, stoner, close enough, why be pedantic about it? Both of them have limited understandings of the world and politics.

Also, while I appreciate your attempts to increase my vocabulary, you should know I worked as a journalist for two years and studied literature at university.