What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contract situation for 2008 inc: Rumours and signings.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
its a shame he hasnt kicked on especailly consdering he is a local boy from Cabra and when he first hit the scene a few years ago he demanded selection in first grade with a string of man of the math performances in prems.

Bigfella

Coach
. Perhaps a full season in PL might do him the world of good if he can get a gig next year.

I think it would help him for sure.

I think he would be a great buy for another club in that he won;t be able to command big dollars but the potential is there.

If we can't afford to sign another prop my preference would be to keep him on the books for depth, and in the hope that he can fulfill his potential.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I definitely wouldn't rule out JT being a success at another club, I think he desperatley needs the change.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
has anyone ever seen a player of JT size get as dominated in tackles as he?

His defense is poor, and his lack of mobility is a liability.

Hope he goes tbh

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
Does anyone know what's happening with Richard Faaoso?

I dare say that he's not in the clubs polans for next season, despite the fact that I keep forgetting to ask Zap about him :lol:

I'll try and find out next time I run into him.

jayman

Juniors
if we loose zeb and cannings and faaso, hindmarsh...do we have room to move under the cap to fill the gaps in the forwards?

at the time we re-signed everyone ( mateo etc) i dont think they had factored in the room to move with the depature of the above names..so ud think we'd have some space to sign 1-2 forwards.. not top forwards.. but some honest ones..

Stagger eel

Staff member
jayman said:
if we loose zeb and cannings and faaso, hindmarsh...do we have room to move under the cap to fill the gaps in the forwards?

at the time we re-signed everyone ( mateo etc) i dont think they had factored in the room to move with the depature of the above names..so ud think we'd have some space to sign 1-2 forwards.. not top forwards.. but some honest ones..

it's really difficult to get some sort of guage on what direction the club is heading but the trend appears to be most or all clubs are cutting back in their squad and they'll be an excess of fringe firstgraders without clubs.

From an outsider looking in, we'll go about our business with a 25 man squad and bring players in if we really need them, with the amount of mid season signings that has occoured this year I see a trend, where although squads will be finalised for next year very shortly, there'll still be players available somewhere to bring into the squad at short notice next year.

weird situation, I know...but that's the way it is.

The Colonel

Immortal
Back to? I never knew Wellington, NZ was in England.... :lol: disappointing however as he has returned reasonably well from that bad injury.

cayless1989

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Back to? I never knew Wellington, NZ was in England.... :lol: disappointing however as he has returned reasonably well from that bad injury.

my bad sorry i meant NZ!!!

Bazal

Post Whore
I rate Josh Davis...will be a shame if true, but then we do have a lot of young wingers and centres...IMO this is going to be a major problem generated by scrapping premier league, young players just over the under-20s restrictions are going to be near impossible to keep...A young 21 year old kid with promise can earn more in England, either SL or lower tiers, or playing Bartercard cup with a Warriors contract than they can caught between two grades here...

Stagger eel

Staff member
Valea said:
Have the Eels signed anyone for 2008?

no mate, we haven't signed anyone, we're retaining most of our squad and promoting some of our juniors into our top 25.

Pricey

Juniors
eelavation said:
no mate, we haven't signed anyone, we're retaining most of our squad and promoting some of our juniors into our top 25.

it is already reminding me of Hagans days at the Knights. While I think it is great to retain the players you have, the Knights basically did the same thing. The only problem was when they did lose players through retirement ie: Bill Peden, Chief ect or players moving to other clubs ie: Ben Kennedy they never went on the market to replace them. They went from the neucleous of a great tem to an ordinary team. I hope we dont fall into that trap. What we are doing at the moment is ok for now but I hope we dont end up doing what the Knights did.

strider

Post Whore
Pricey said:
it is already reminding me of Hagans days at the Knights. While I think it is great to retain the players you have, the Knights basically did the same thing. The only problem was when they did lose players through retirement ie: Bill Peden, Chief ect or players moving to other clubs ie: Ben Kennedy they never went on the market to replace them. They went from the neucleous of a great tem to an ordinary team. I hope we dont fall into that trap. What we are doing at the moment is ok for now but I hope we dont end up doing what the Knights did.
yeah but the knights also threw a huge chunk of their salary cap at just a handful of players (ie. johns, buderus) ... I don't think our top players are holding us to randsom like joey .... I think this yrs retention is the right way - tho I'd like us to look more widely in the future

Stagger eel

Staff member
Pricey said:

to add to what strider said, Newcastle also have one of the best nurseries in Rugby league and there are plenty of firstgraders from other clubs that came from the region so they mainly banked their development and recruitment in that area.

As for us?? as i mentioned in another thread we lost 14 players last year and signed 4 and currently sitting pretty on third spot, whilst our PL side isn't travelling as well as last year our Flegg side including the development of players like Keating and Taulima is in itself paying in a big way and we need to sacrifise spots in the top 25 to fit those kids who in demand from other clubs in the squad and pay them what their worth.

so whilst retaining our important senior men such as Hindy, Caylo, Guru and Riddell, we've also had to upgrade Feleti, KK, Josh Cordoba and Junior Paulo and we need to keep a bit in reserve to retain and upgrade Hayne and INU...

now do you see how difficult it is not only keep a talented team together but also retain our younger talent as well?

Latest posts