What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contract situation for 2008 inc: Rumours and signings.

yy_cheng

Coach
I've never really liked Brad

Physically on paper he looks Mason like, but I don't think he uses his size properly. He also appears slow to me. If he had the acceleration and speed of Mason, I wouldn't hesitate.

The Colonel

Immortal
He's killed us off on numerous occassions among other clubs - maybe not as high profile as Webcke, Tallis or Petero but he is a hard ass. We don't need a Mason but we do need a physical presence on the field.

oldmancraigy

Coach
yy_cheng said:
I've never really liked Brad

Physically on paper he looks Mason like, but I don't think he uses his size properly. He also appears slow to me. If he had the acceleration and speed of Mason, I wouldn't hesitate.

If he had the speed and acceleration of Mason then he'd also have the price tag of mason ;-)

Brad Thorn is a genuinely big bloke who can put on a hit in defence and always makes metres carting the ball forward.

A Hindmarsh/ Thorn/ Mateo backrow would be fairly awesome. Then we could have Hauraki off the bench for impact!

But maybe we better chase a genuine prop first

The Colonel

Immortal
Thorn is only in the backrow at the moment because he has Petero, Hannant, Taylor and Carlaw up there as well.

Avenger

Immortal
There was an article in the local paper here in WA that Ryan Cross wants to go back to Rugby League.

Nikki

Coach
Joey said today that Brendan Oake has agreed to terms with the club, just needs to sign on the dotted line..

Avenger

Immortal
I hope the Luke Rooney rumour is not true. We do not need him.

PS

I read it in the NRL forum.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Far out, why?! Why is a washed up 29 year old Souths reject good enough for us?! I'd rather Ian Hindmarsh for another year.

The Colonel

Immortal
He has been signed to a second tier contract rather than a first grade contract. Gives us some more experience on a cheaper scale and hopefully he'll be out to prove the Taylor wrong.

V1er

Juniors
Alot of players over the years have come to the eels to get a 2nd chance and have become better players, i hope the same can be said about Joe.

cardinal

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
Far out, why?! Why is a washed up 29 year old Souths reject good enough for us?! I'd rather Ian Hindmarsh for another year.

Thats funny, well if you don't rate Joe than lets hope he turns out as good as Ian did this year, because you certainly thought he was our worst buy in the last 10 years. I presume you are taking the p--- :D

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
cardinal said:
Thats funny, well if you don't rate Joe than lets hope he turns out as good as Ian did this year, because you certainly thought he was our worst buy in the last 10 years. I presume you are taking the p--- :D

I didn't say anywhere that Ian was our worst buy in the last 10 years, I said he shouldn't be in first grade and we had better options available. There's a difference between Ian Hindmarsh with history at the club and a solid workrate and Joe Galuvao who went to Souths for a second chance and was even worse there than he was at Penrith (towards the end of his Penrith career) and now comes to us, a club with more backrowers than we need and not enough props.

You tell me why it's a good buy or is mocking people's opinions all you can do?

cardinal

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
I didn't say anywhere that Ian was our worst buy in the last 10 years, I said he shouldn't be in first grade and we had better options available. There's a difference between Ian Hindmarsh with history at the club and a solid workrate and Joe Galuvao who went to Souths for a second chance and was even worse there than he was at Penrith (towards the end of his Penrith career) and now comes to us, a club with more backrowers than we need and not enough props.

You tell me why it's a good buy or is mocking people's opinions all you can do?

Well I may of missed it but I have not seen anywhere that you have admitted you got it wrong on Ian H. You were also very persistant and basically said Ian was a washed up crock, where anyone who saw him in the super league could tell he was carrying injuries but still had plenty to offer. Maybe I mock peoples opinion but I would rather do that than pay out on a player who will potentially offer somthing to our side. I am going to be right behind Joe because I would love to shove it up souths. You do realise we are losing Ian, Cannings, Fa'aoso, Wags the year after and probably Robbo will go after 08 as well, I don't see signing someone on a cheap contract who has proven himself in the nrl and who will also be dead keen to prove a point to some people, as being a problem, considering we need some depth.
I also did not realise a player had to have a history with us to be signed, and who is to say we will not sign another prop for depth. You seem to be quick to write off a player as being hopeless but not quite as quick to admit you got it wrong. People were quick to bag out the Finch signing but have a look at the passion he has bought with him, you never know what a player is going to bring to the table untill they are given a chance.

we are paying 50 grand fpr the guy so i would say his worth every cent. i think joe will be a quallity player with a big point to prove and at that price could well be the buy of the season. i think its a very positive move

Suitman

Post Whore
Can someone please save me the time of going through this thread and update me on Riddell's contract situation?

Thanks in advance.

Suity

Latest posts