What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contract situation for 2008 inc: Rumours and signings.

Gronk

Staff member
LEAGUE - Hauraki in line for Raiders contract

By Peter Thorley

While doubt still surrounds the inclusion of Adam Blair in the Melbourne Storm's squad to play in tomorrow's NRL Premiership Grand Final, another Northland footballer Iwi Hauraki has already had a week to focus on his grandfinal role.

Hauraki will play what could be his last game for the Parramatta Eels in the VB Premier League Final, which will act as the curtain raiser for the Storm-Manly clash later in the day.

The 20-year-old knows his side will be up against it when they take on the Bears, because the North Sydney team will be using their Rabbitohs players in the match.

"They've got a lot of good players and with David Peachy, Shannon Heggarty and Daniel Irvine, so it's not going to be easy playing against so many first graders but I still hope we can win," the former Kamo High School student said.

The Eels have already pulled off a few upsets in the competition play-offs to get to the grand final, after they finished seventh in the regular season.

"Everyone stepped up when we got to the finals and though we surprised others, we didn't really surprise ourselves by making the final," he said.

They beat Penrith in the first week of finals before eliminating Newcastle and then they edged out the Bulldogs in a 28-24 thriller to earn their grand final berth.

It has been a real roller coaster ride this season for Hauraki.

"I started the year out injured with both knees (recovering from surgery) and started training in the Jersey Flegg side at about round 8 and after that one of the boys got suspended and I got my chance to play there for about four weeks before I went up into the premier grade and I went on to play 12 games."

And it seems likely that Hauraki's grand final day - win or lose - will be eclipsed by the news he will play first grade league next year for the Canberra Raiders.

"I'm just hoping they still want me - they wanted me to sign on before but my manager is holding out until the grand final is over," Hauraki said.

He admits he is nervous awaiting further news but for now he is focussed on Sunday's grand final.

If Adam Blair does miss out on the premiership grand final - he is currently named in the squad as cover for injured Storm prop Ben Cross - it will be the only final of the day not featuring a Northlander.

Dargaville's Sam McKendrie will line up for Penrith against Parramatta in the Jersey Flegg final - the first game underway on grand final day.

McKendrie has been another success story since arriving in Australia earlier in the year to play SG grade football. He was promoted into the Jersey Flegg side in time to help them on their successful run into the final.

There were almost three Northland players on show in the match but the Bulldogs - featuring 2006 Northern Storm regulars Mason Pure and Brendan Hikaka - were knocked out by Parramatta in the preliminary final last week.

http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/l...ocalsport&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Gronk

Staff member
Huge rumour is gaining momentum. Young QLD Rugby Union sensation Quade Cooper has been signed by Storm for 2008.

Mitchsu Danger

Juniors
Gronk said:
Huge rumour is gaining momentum. Young QLD Rugby Union sensation Quade Cooper has been signed by Storm for 2008.

not a hope in hell that they could afford him

beale barnes and cooper are the future of australian rugby

cooper is pure f**king class, a few rough edges here and there but if he was to come to league n get them sorted he'd playing origin within 2 years

Gronk

Staff member
In other player transfer news, former Parramatta centre David Vaealiki may fill one of the two positions Wests Tigers have available for outside backs after a French rugby union deal fell through.

Vaealiki has been playing for Wigan and the former English glamour club are interested in re-signing him now that his switch of codes has stalled.

Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell said he was aware of Vaealiki's availability but the club wouldn't be rushing into any signings after believing they had out-of-favour All Blacks centre Ma'a Nonu, only for the deal to fall through. After losing Paul Whatuira to Huddersfield and Ben Galea and Daniel Fitzhenry to Hull KR, McDonnell said the Tigers still had room for two more signings.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...woop-for-hohaia/2007/10/18/1192300949146.html

Bigfella

Coach
but the club wouldn't be rushing into any signings after believing they had out-of-favour All Blacks centre Ma'a Nonu, only for the deal to fall through.

LOL at Tigers. They didn't exactly rush into the last one either, that's why it didn't happen!

Gronk

Staff member
Eagles, Titans eyeing Carney
David Jean

At least two rival NRL clubs are poised to bid for the services of Canberra Raiders star Todd Carney if he hasn't signed a contract extension by the start of the 2008 season.

The Canberra Times yesterday contacted NRL clubs to gauge their interest in Carney, who retired superstar Andrew Johns touted as a future Australian halfback earlier this week.

Seven of 15 clubs returned The Canberra Times's calls.

The Gold Coast Titans and Manly expressed interest in Carney.

The 21-year-old and his manager David Riolo are considering a contract extension.

The Goulburn product has expressed his desire to remain at the Raiders but has put off signing anything until after Canberra's trial games against Brisbane and North Queensland in February and March.

The Raiders have made re-signing Carney a priority, but would struggle in a bidding war.

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer said his club was on the lookout for quality backs for 2009.

Mayer said the club would strongly consider Carney despite his off-field troubles, which included a third conviction for a driving offence earlier this year.

"We're looking for outside backs for 2009 and he's versatile," Mayer said. "We haven't really talked about him but he's a quality player. There's obviously baggage there but if he's a good enough player I'm sure we'd certainly have a talk about him.

"If he wants to get something done before the start of the year that's a bit early for us [but] later we'd have a chat to him for sure."

Titans boss Michael Searle said his club would need to gauge his early-season form and behaviour before making contact with him.

"We'd consider him but it would just depend on how his season went this year and how he bounces back from his misdemeanours from last season," Searle said.

"On the field definitely we'd be interested in him, but I'd be lying if I said we didn't have some concerns about his off-field antics.

"If we were going to enter negotiations we'd probably enter them around about early April or mid May."

North Queensland, Parramatta and the Sydney Roosters said they were not interested in recruiting Carney, while Wests Tigers and Penrith said they would only consider him towards the end of 2008 if their current halves were struggling.

"We've got a couple of young blokes we're hoping will come up and cover that spot and if they don't we'll reassess the situation when it arises," Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell said.

Penrith chief executive Michael Leary said his club was in a similar position and would wait until at least mid season before considering new halves for 2009.

The Canberra Times was unable to contact Cronulla chief executive Tony Zappia yesterday, but a source close to the club said coach Ricky Stuart had a high opinion of Carney.

The Raiders have 16 players off contract at the end of next year.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/rugby-league/eagles-titans-eyeing-carney/1084022.html

Latest posts