What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contract situation for 2008 inc: Rumours and signings.

bartman

Immortal
Carney and Mason could go well somewhere as a package deal... imagine them tearing it up around the Shire!

Gronk

Staff member
There could still be further movement from Bondi Junction, with winger John Williams also a possible export as part of the complicated Mason deal, although it now seems front-rower David Shillington, originally touted as a key player in the chase for Mason, will remain at the Roosters.

The Herald understands the Gold Coast Titans made an offer yesterday to John Williams's manager, David Riolo. While Riolo was non-committal yesterday, the Roosters have given Williams the green light to look elsewhere.

"If the situation arises, John will look at it," Riolo said.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/noddy-goes-missing/2007/11/14/1194766770678.html?page=2

parra pete

Referee
Don't be surprised if the Canberra Raiders become the Central Coast Raiders (Ssssh, you didn't hear it from me)

Stagger eel

Staff member
parra pete said:
Don't be surprised if the Canberra Raiders become the Central Coast Raiders (Ssssh, you didn't hear it from me)

with the offer of atleast 8 mill who wouldn't atleast consider it...

Manly have also been touted to go, it appears we haven't heard the last of it.

Gronk

Staff member

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Nope, cause he told everyone that the Roosters would be giving him the arse. Whatever is said about Williams. he still made one of the greatest try saving tackles i have ever seen in the 06 PL GF.

Stagger eel

Staff member
hineyrulz said:
Nope, cause he told everyone that the Roosters would be giving him the arse. Whatever is said about Williams. he still made one of the greatest try saving tackles i have ever seen in the 06 PL GF.

Well the Roosters never gave him the arse at all...Williams was approached by the Titens and Cowboys to have him on their books and was given permission to negotiate the same way Harrison was given permission.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
eelavation said:
Well the Roosters never gave him the arse at all...Williams was approached by the Titens and Cowboys to have him on their books and was given permission to negotiate the same way Harrison was given permission.
Fair enough, i think he'll go well on the end of the Cowboys backline.

Gronk

Staff member
Souths make grab for Gidley but Knights won't let go

Glenn Jackson | November 22, 2007

NEWCASTLE are facing a battle to keep Kurt Gidley, with South Sydney to chase the representative star.

While Knights officials are expected to commence negotiations with Gidley next week, the Rabbitohs have already placed the 25-year-old - who is officially off contract at the end of 2009 but has a clause in his favour which effectively makes him a free agent at the end of next season - at the top of their hit-list for 2009, along with Parramatta's Test and Origin fullback Jarryd Hayne.

The Rabbitohs have already expressed an interest in the Test player, and while Gidley yesterday maintained a desire to continue his career with the Knights, he did add: "This contract's probably the most important of my career. I'll be 26 next year and I'd like something pretty good. When you get to this point in their career, you like something long term and something pretty healthy. It's early days, but there's an option in my favour, which is good."

The Rabbitohs have made no secret of their desire to snare Hayne to the club for which his father, Manoa Thompson, played. What is not clear is whether the Rabbitohs would be in a position to bring both Hayne and Gidley to the club.

However, they do face an uphill task in trying to lure Gidley out of Newcastle. His manager Darryl Mather stressed he would give the Knights every opportunity to secure him long-term.

"I'll be discussing everything with Newcastle first, and everything with Newcastle last," he said. "Everyone else can maybe have a shot in between.

"The Gidley name is a big part of Newcastle, and I want to make it very clear - I'll be holding discussions with Newcastle in the very near future about a long-term arrangement. I managed Matt his whole career and it's a strong brand name in Newcastle. That's something that won't be diluted.

Asked yesterday how important the re-signing of Gidley was to the Knights, coach Brian Smith said: "It's very important, but I take all that [speculation] with a grain of salt."

It came on a day the Knights were forced to go to extraordinary lengths to scotch rumours they were set to lose another of their stars in hooker and co-captain Danny Buderus.

The club issued a statement yesterday denying that Buderus had requested a release after speculation surfaced that he would rejoin his old coach Michael Hagan at Parramatta next season and that he had clashed with his current boss, Smith, on Tuesday.

"My entire focus is on the Newcastle Knights and that's where I'll be playing," Buderus said. "I have no idea where these rumours are coming from. I'm contracted, I'm training and I'm 100 per cent committed to the Newcastle Knights."

Buderus is considering quitting the club at the end of 2008 to play in the UK, however, chief executive Steve Burraston said he would not be granted a release any earlier.

"We wouldn't allow him to go," Burraston said. "He's under contract for us obviously next season and there's an option for the year after. There's a possibility he may go to England [in 2009], but I had a talk to him a couple of weeks ago and he hasn't given up on rep football next year.

"He probably wasn't in the right frame of mind last season but he came back to training a week or so ago and he was saying how good it was … he certainly hasn't mentioned anything to me [about wanting out].

"He's very much one of those guys who's extremely loyal."

Smith was also baffled, saying: "I wouldn't even glorify that with a response. It's just too ridiculous to respond to rubbish like that."

Eels officials said last night they were not pursuing Buderus for 2009.

The Rabbitohs' bold bid for Gidley comes as co-captain Peter Cusack weighs up whether to accept an upgraded offer to join English Super League club Hull FC a year before his contract expires.

After discussions with his manager Martin Tauber yesterday, the 30-year-old is expected to make a final decision today.

The Rabbitohs are expected to agree to a release.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1195321863498.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Ron Jeremy

Coach
hineyrulz said:
Ron will be happy :lol:

They want another turnstile not happy enough with Farrar and Graham lol

You could put anyone outside Thurston and Bowen and they'll look good, but if one of them doesn't play watch there immortals crumble like a week old dogsh*t:lol:

Gronk

Staff member
Off-contract feeding frenzy
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By James Phelps and Josh Massoud

November 29, 2007 12:00am

THE cashed-up Bulldogs are poised to embark on one of the biggest recruitment drives in the club's history with teenage superstar Israel Folau their No.1 target.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal $13.5 million worth of playing talent is coming off-contract at the end of 2008.

And the Bulldogs yesterday declared game on when they revealed they were in the market for a number of "high quality'' players including Folau and Parramatta star Krisnan Inu.

"We are going to be in there boxing with everyone else,'' said Bulldogs recruitment manager Keith Onslow. "Our plan is to be quite active in the market and we are in the hunt for players. I am working through it as we speak. The players you have mentioned are on our list.''

The shock departures of Brent Sherwin and Willie Mason has left the club about $700,000 under the salary cap for season 2008.

But instead of spending the money this season, Onslow yesterday revealed the club will front-load contracts in 2008 in a move which could give the Bulldogs a $1 million war-chest for the following year.

"We are working through it with a few at the moment,'' Onslow said. "The plan is to top-load their contracts. Over the two years they will still be getting the same money but they have to look at their own cash flow situation and make sure they aren't left short in the second year.''

Onslow confirmed the Bulldogs had begun recruitment for 2009. "There are no rules so we have already started,'' Onslow said.

"The players are on the market 24/7 so we have already begun. We are looking at outside backs, inside backs and front-rowers. There is plenty out there and we are working through it at the moment."

The Daily Telegraph understands the Bulldogs have already approached Folau's management about a switch to Belmore. However the giant teenager said he would not make a decision about his future until next year.

"I'm not worrying too much about that,'' said Folau. "I've got one year for Melbourne and I'm going to play that out and hopefully worry about that at the end of the season. All I'm thinking about is training hard, doing my full pre-season with Storm and hopefully I can get another good year.''

Asked if he thought the contract talks could prove a distraction, Folau said: "No, not at all. I've got a lot of good help around me with the coaching staff at Melbourne and also the players and my family. It's not a hassle at all.''

But the 18-year-old destroyer is just one of the many genuine stars of the game who will have the opportunity of testing the 2009 market.

There's Brett Stewart, Jarryd Hayne, Matt Cooper, Kurt Gidley and Benji Marshall. Joining them are NSW and QLD rakes - Danny Buderus and Cameron Smith as well as a wealth of valuable clubmen such as Steve Price, Ruben Wiki, Aaron Payne and Tonie Carroll.

The Gold Coast Titans alone have 17 of their top 25 players off-contract beyond next year.
Leading player managers last night predicted rugby league's biggest game of chess would truly move into gear after Christmas.

High-profile agent George Mimis said clubs were still finalising their cap for 2008 and moving players into the revamped under-20 competition. Currently locked in negotiations with Manly on behalf of Stewart, Mimis sought-after stars would present a challenge to poachers.

"It's quite rare to shop around a marquee player in the first instance, unless they are unhappy where they are,'' Mimis said. "The club's generally have a good idea of their market value.''

But should the likes of Folau and Inu delay their decisions, Mimis predicted ramifications for the entire market. Folau said he does not want to enter negotiations until after the grand final, and therefore looms as the $400,000 missing piece to this year's transfer puzzle.

"We saw the situation last year where guys like Civoniceva, Berrigan, Hodges, Ryles and Hornby weren't put to bed until late May,'' he said. "The market was stalled until they decided what to do. There are some players this year - like Folau - with the same potential.''

The electrifying Matt Bowen was on the list until last week - when the Cowboys roped him in until after 2012. North Queensland CEO Peter Parr said the club was keen to secure Bowen more than 12 months out, safe in the knowledge his form was slump-proof.

"With some of the other guys, we want to see that they are playing reasonable football before we commit ourselves,'' Parr said.

PLAYERS coming off contract next year:

* Option in player's favour: ** Option in Club's favour

BULLDOGS

Luke Patten*, Andrew Ryan, Kane Cleal, Corey Hughes, Cameron Phelps, Willie Tonga

BRONCOS

Tonie Carroll, Corey Parker, Dave Taylor

RAIDERS

Todd Carney, Neville Costigan*, Mick Weyman, Adrian Purtell, Terry Campese

COWBOYS

Ben Farrar**, Carl Webb, Mark Henry, Jacob Lillyman, Aaron Payne, Steve Southern, Sione Faumauina

EELS

Brett Finch, Jarryd Hayne*, Krisnan Inu, Ben Smith

PANTHERS

Luke Lewis, Luke Rooney, Joe Williams, Luke Priddis, Trent Waterhous

SHARKS

Luke Covell, Luke Douglas, Isaac De Gois

TITANS

Matt Petersen, Brad Meyers, Chris Walker

RABBITOHS

John Sutton*, Nathan Merrit, Jeremy Smith, Nigel Vagana*

DRAGONS

Matt Cooper, Josh Morris, Jamie Soward, Rangi Chase, Jason Nightingale

ROOSTERS

Amos Roberts, Craig Fitzgibbon, Danny Nutley, Sam Perrett, Shane Shackleton, Dave Shillington, Anthony Tupou

SEA EAGLES

Brett Stewart, Steve Bell, Steve Menzies*

STORM

Israel Folau, Cameron Smith, Matt Geyer, Jeremy Smith, Dallas Johnson

KNIGHTS

Danny Buderus*, Adam MacDougall

WARRIORS

Steve Price, Ruben Wiki, Michael Crockett, Wrangi Tupou

TIGERS

Benji Marshall, Brett Hodgson, Keigh Galloway*, Ryan O'Hara, Taniela Tuiaki

bartman

Immortal
We're obviously only going to be able to keep two of Hayne, Inu or Smith for 09 on the type of money that all three are/should be on.

Glad Ben is patient and not publicly shopping himself elsewhere, while we wait for the other two to decide to sign or not...

The Colonel

Immortal
bartman said:
We're obviously only going to be able to keep two of Hayne, Inu or Smith for 09 on the type of money that all three are/should be on.

Glad Ben is patient and not publicly shopping himself elsewhere, while we wait for the other two to decide to sign or not...

I think you'll find that the club are in negotiations with all three and expect to keep them all. ;-)