What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contract situation for 2008 inc: Rumours and signings.

El Diablo

Post Whore
eelavation said:
Kris Keating - still talking but we're very confident in signing him he is a must signing for us imo, several clubs have shown interest including The Dogs and Melbourne.
can someone please tell me what the point of Melbourne is??

they just throw money at the best juniors around and do NOTHING for the game

i suspect there will NEVER be a Melbourne junior in their team

Hurriflatch

Referee
Off contract players

Timana Tahu - Rugby

Ian Hindmarsh - Retirement

Michael Lett - If he has to be let go to keep other more important players then so be it

Taulima Tautai - Would be nice to keep him but you can't re-sign everyone

Etu Uesele - Would be nice to keep him but you can't re-sign everyone

Blake Green - Hope to keep him but Kris Keating is better

Richard Fa'aoso - Would have him ahead of Cannings for now

Aaron Cannings - Needs to play like he did against the Cowboys more often before re-signing

Dave Williams - Good if they keep him but won't lose any sleep if he leaves

Junior Paolo - MUST to be re-signed

Justin Tsolous - Nothing personal but if I had to pick one to lose it'll be Tsoulos

Brendon Oake - A good prospect but like too many other forwards at this club he is 180 cm and 100 kg, would still be good to keep him and would re-sign him before Tsolous

Kris Keating - A MUST to keep even more so if Green goes

cardinal

Juniors
El Diablo said:
can someone please tell me what the point of Melbourne is??

they just throw money at the best juniors around and do NOTHING for the game

i suspect there will NEVER be a Melbourne junior in their team

You could say the same things about the roosters at least the storm are getting better crowds than the roosters or souths. They have the best recruitment going around and are starting to get rugby league played in a few schools which is a huge effort. Why don't you mention the bulldogs or manly who are always sniffing around our juniors. The sydney nrl clubs cant draw more crowds than the swans and the storm have to compete against 10 melbourne afl clubs. Unless you live in Melbourne and see how massive afl is on a day to day basis you have no idea what a good job the storm are doing.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm pretty confident we won't lose both Keating and Green...but than again there are a few clubs out there desperate for a half/five-eight to add to their books.

El Diablo

Post Whore
cardinal said:
You could say the same things about the roosters at least the storm are getting better crowds than the roosters or souths. They have the best recruitment going around and are starting to get rugby league played in a few schools which is a huge effort. Why don't you mention the bulldogs or manly who are always sniffing around our juniors. The sydney nrl clubs cant draw more crowds than the swans and the storm have to compete against 10 melbourne afl clubs. Unless you live in Melbourne and see how massive afl is on a day to day basis you have no idea what a good job the storm are doing.

Melbourne are a waste of time. no juniors in 10 years yet clubs are getting players from WA and the NT which have no teams.

cardinal

Juniors
El Diablo said:
Melbourne are a waste of time. no juniors in 10 years yet clubs are getting players from WA and the NT which have no teams.

Another statement that makes no sense I am sure you know what you mean. As I said there are plenty of sydney clubs bringing stuff all juniors through. :D

El Diablo

Post Whore
here's proof how useless Melbourne is

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21783290-5001023,00.html

While Paea and Parramatta prop Tim Mannah stood out for the Blues, the star of the show was Queensland centre and Northern Territory-product Will Chambers.

Chambers, the son of a Gove mining supervisor who idolises Blues winger Matt King, scored both of the Maroons tries with brilliant evasive skills and pace.

The 18-year-old scored a try in his NRL debut for Melbourne against the Roosters on the weekend and showed why the Storm's recruitment team is considered the best in the business.

so Melbourne are signing juniors from the NT which has NO team

way to go :clap:

how about some Victorians???

cardinal

Juniors
ZAC PACZKOWSKI has started a journey that few Victorians have ever even contemplated. The 18-year-old back-rower will set off to Brisbane in the hope of one day playing in the National Rugby League.

It will be a long journey.

Paczkowski, who was told by Melbourne Storm that he was not good enough to make the big time, has been invited by premier Brisbane Broncos to trial with Wynnum Manly, one of its affiliated Queensland Cup clubs.

He will be put into a development program and probably start off playing colts.

Paczkowski, 18, will be under the gaze of Brisbane recruiters who monitor the progress of players in the local competition and have first dibs if they show the potential to develop into first-graders.

Rugby league is still a foreign sport in Victoria — the suburban club competition is of limited quality and the game's administrators are only just starting to make some inroads into the primary and secondary school systems.

It is a bit of a novelty to see a player emerging from junior ranks in Melbourne to pursue a career in the NRL.

"Everyone around town says if you ever want to make it in the league you've got to get out of Melbourne," Paczkowski said.

"There's no chance of making it if you're down here. We've had plenty of kids with great potential have to move out of town because they knew that they were not going to get nothing down here."

However, things are slowly changing and the route to the NRL could be much shorter in coming years. The Melbourne Storm and league administrators are investing substantial sums into schools and developing local talent.

The Victorian Rugby League, with the Storm, has introduced an academy program where about 20 of the best under-18 players are nurtured through a training, skills and weights program.

General manager of development Greg Brentnall said he hoped the Storm's first home-grown first-grader could emerge from four players who had been invited to a training camp in January.

Bayside Secondary College last year introduced a scholarship program and Brentnall said Melbourne had three school competitions with four to five schools in each.

"The number of kids participating in clinics or some type of rugby league activity, I think, is getting up around 48,000 contacts this year, which is huge when you are trying to develop an interest in the game first and also develop an interest in the Storm," Brentnall said.

But Mathew Morunga, president of the Waverley Oakleigh club, said a side-effect of the rugby league's focus on establishing school competitions and its cherry-picking of top talent was that it had decimated the local competition and the opportunities for those such as Paczkowski who were not rated in the top echelon of juniors were limited.

"The rugby league system down here isn't big enough to support schools as well as (weekend) competition," Morunga said.

But Brentnall said it would take time for the benefits to develop.

In the meantime, Paczkowski, an academy member this year who began playing under-12s at Waverley Oakleigh when his family moved from Canberra, said he was determined to prove Storm wrong.

He has also trained at the Australian Institute of Sport, and legendary Broncos recruiter Cyril Connell, who asked Wynnum to take Paczkowski, said he had potential.

Storm foundation captain Glenn Lazarus, who has acted as a manager for Paczkowski, said: "A lot can happen between now and years down the track but I think if he works really hard at it he'll get an opportunity to at least go to a NRL team.

"You just hope that these sort of things don't come back to haunt the Storm as in a local kid playing for another NRL club … one of the hardest things I found down in Victoria when we were trying to entrench the Storm was trying to get exposure to the four corners of Victoria.

"Now with Origin, the Storm and Tests being played down there, and with money being poured into the development, things are starting to happen. Who knows — we might see a huge increase of kids coming out of Victoria and playing in NRL sides."

LINK QRL.com.au

Always best to check what clubs are doing with their junior programs. These things take time did you ever think the swans would draw twice the crowd that the eels do 20 years ago?

cardinal

Juniors
El Diablo said:
here's proof how useless Melbourne is

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21783290-5001023,00.html

so Melbourne are signing juniors from the NT which has NO team

how about some Victorians???

Where did we sign Burt, Tim Smith, B smith, Hindy, Moimoi, Cannings, Riddell, Finch, Wagon, all local juniors ? don't think so. We can be very thankfull we have such a nursery of juniors to choose from, other clubs particulary Melbourne have to battle to get juniors through the ranks. It is called NRL for a reason, the N stands for national. But hey keep the narrow minded view, I am still on a high from the recent signings :D

El Diablo

Post Whore
Melbourne knock back a Victorian and sign a bloke from the NT

even the Reds helped League more in their brief history

cardinal

Juniors
El Diablo said:
Melbourne knock back a Victorian and sign a bloke from the NT

even the Reds helped League more in their brief history

Yep they knocked him back and I have not heard of him doing anything with the broncos, as I said they have the best recruitment in the game. What is the difference from signing a player from the NT to signing Albert Kelly from Kempsey or Tim Smith from the Gold Coast? Would you be crying if we had of picked up Ingliss or Faoulo a few years ago? but oh thats right we don't sign juniors from anywhere else do we . :roll:

El Diablo

Post Whore
What is the difference from signing a player from the NT to signing Albert Kelly from Kempsey or Tim Smith from the Gold Coast?

i have stated it a few times already. the NT has NO team yet have a local playing and Melbourne have NONE.

imagine if the NT had a team

and by the looks of things Melbourne are looking for players everywhere apart from Victoria

cardinal

Juniors
El Diablo said:
i have stated it a few times already. the NT has NO team yet have a local playing and Melbourne have NONE.

imagine if the NT had a team

and by the looks of things Melbourne are looking for players everywhere apart from Victoria

Yeah the NT could build a team around that 1 player:D Kempsey don't have a team in the nrl either but that is where Albert is from. The long and the short is you get the best talent from where ever you can, and if the storm keep playing in a few more grand finals you can bet there are a few 12 and 14 year olds watching that will play the game and before you know it the storm will have some local juniors. In the mean time lets hope we can pick up the odd Inglis to go with Hayne, Inu and Mateo.

El Diablo

Post Whore
cardinal said:
Yeah the NT could build a team around that 1 player:D

That's 1 more than Melbourne.

cardinal said:
Kempsey don't have a team in the nrl either but that is where Albert is from.

i hope you're not being serious :?

cardinal said:
The long and the short is you get the best talent from where ever you can, and if the storm keep playing in a few more grand finals you can bet there are a few 12 and 14 year olds watching that will play the game and before you know it the storm will have some local juniors. In the mean time lets hope we can pick up the odd Inglis to go with Hayne, Inu and Mateo.

the Storm have only missed the finals twice since their inception and have appeared in 2 GF's already.

you think they need more success to be popular in Melbourne :?

they are a waste of time and Fitzy knows it

move them ASAP