What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contracts

One Warrior

Bench
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/5037401/Contract-talks-distracting-for-NZ-Warriors
Contract talks distracting for NZ Warriors
STEVE KILGALLON
Last updated 05:00 22/05/2011
Print
Text Size
Kevin Locke
SHANE WENZLICK/Auckland Suburbans
ON CONTRACT: Issues surrounding contracts for next season threaten to distract the Warriors. Fullback Kevin Locke is expected to stay with the club having an option for another year.
League
Wests Tigers get out of jail against Penrith Lightweight South Sydney ready for Warriors Billy Slater tipping Josh Dugan to roll the dice Campese fancies Canberra's top-eight chances NSW coach Ricky Stuart not asking to be loved Warrior Jeremy Latimore knows pressure is on Canberra Raiders too strong for Bulldogs Belated debut worth the wait for Filipo Andrew Johns opens laptop on Maroons' secrets Warriors looking to enter bye on a high

Some are playing for their jobs, some are deep into negotiations to stay, some know they won't be in Auckland this time next year. The Warriors are in top form, but they're also deep into contract season, with the futures of 15 of their senior squad being discussed.

Is it a distraction? "It can be, without a doubt, and it's not easy to answer," admits coach Ivan Cleary frankly. "My role as coach is always to be as honest with them as possible – it's one of the challenges of the NRL these days and I think the players understand that. The best way to handle it is to concentrate on what they are doing: there's always distractions in footy – family, finances, and this is just another one. We've already got a couple of guys who know they are not going to be here. But regardless of what you're doing in the future, it's about what you're doing now."

And so why Cleary says he "can't completely rule out" tinkering with his team to give chances to those who will be at Mt Smart next year over those who won't, his priority remains a winning team.

That means players such as halfback Brett Seymour, whose future is most under question, continuing at halfback ahead of Shaun Johnson, who has a long-term deal.

And there are players who may not play top grade at all this year, but appear to have done enough to earn another deal: "project" players such as utility Pita Godinet, who the Sunday Star-Times understands will have his deal extended and prop James Gavet, who needs to add fitness and stronger defence to his devastating ball-running, but, says Cleary, "is not far away – with a bit more consistency over the next few weeks, he's every chance [of debuting]."

Chief executive Wayne Scurrah won't go into detail about negotiations, explaining: "We're right in the middle of it now and Dean [Bell, recruitment manager] has been frantic. We're making progress and with the bye next week, the players have a few days off and before they come back for round 13, we want to have clarified some things so they can focus on football. But I'm not talking about individual players – it's a sensitive issue and we've a big game on Sunday to focus on."

And the players reckon they're not distracted. "Heaps of people have been asking me [about his future]," says hooker Alehana Mara. "I would love to stay at the Warriors, love to be one of those guys who stays at one club all his career, but my manager [Sam Ayoub] will sort out what is best for me and the future of my family. I'm pretty keen to stay here. But I know I am the one making money for myself: if I am playing good, my contract will reflect that, and he will sort that out for me."
Ad Feedback

And at the other end of the scale, veteran Shaun Berrigan says: "Not at all [distracted]. At my age, when I first came here, I knew I had to take it year by year. Whether the club wanted me to go ... it's whatever is best for the club. I've loved it here ... I couldn't have asked for more."

Berrigan has kept his place in the playing squad and will start on the bench for today's game against Souths but Mara along with Sione Lousi and Joel Moon has been cut from the extended interchange named by Cleary earlier in the week.

Berrigan has also apologised for his performance in last week's victory over Newcastle.

The former Queensland Origin star played with painkillers in his comeback from a broken hand, but said: "I didn't play too well: I felt disappointed with my game; I just hope I get another game this week. It was a poor performance and I am not blaming the hand, it was one of those days you have from time to time."

Meanwhile, Cleary will soon regain the services of rising star Glen Fisiiahi who made his return to footy for the Auckland Vulcans yesterday. The talented fullback had been sidelined since early April after ankle and knee damage.

WHERE THEY STAND

Lance Hohaia: signed for St Helens, gone.

Brett Seymour: off-contract, going.

James Maloney: club taken up one-year option, staying.

Kevin Locke: club taking up a one-year option, staying.

James Gavet: has a future, expected to stay.

Shaun Berrigan: undecided, likely to stay.

Alehana Mara: off-contract, undecided.

Joel Moon: out of favour, likely to go.

Pita Godinet: project player, likely to stay.

Aaron Heremaia: told to talk to other clubs, going.

Jacob Lillyman: in top form, likely to stay.

Isaac John: club has an option, likely to go.

Jeremy Latimore: off-contract, likely to go.

Matt Robinson: hasn't got close to top grade, likely to go.

Ivan Penehe: injury-blighted, could get another chance, likely to stay.

Already re-signed: Ukuma Ta'ai, Sione Lousi, Sam Rapira, Glen Fisiaahi.

- Sunday Star Times

Questions, so according to this has Seymour been told he is going and I was unaware that Ukuma Ta'ai had re-signed for next year, I can not find any reference to it. Moderators if this needs to be moved to the signings thread please do so, I just thought it needed its own thread.

Iafeta

Referee
I think they're pretty much on the mark. However, the hooker player market is pretty tight so I don't think Mara will gain many opportunities that he won't at the Warriors (I'd suspect therefore he will resign) and I'm not sure on Issac John. With Hohaia and Moon going (as bad at five eighth as they are, they are still back up options) and even Heremaia who can play halfback, I suspect the Warriors will want John as a back up along with Pita Godinet.

blain

Juniors
Would be idiots if management let Mara go. We need Hooker cover in the squad next year, I reckon he will grow under the guidance of Friend. Lillyman deserves a nice upgrade, John will be needed if Seymour goes. Berrigan would be handy for 1 more year, especially if we dont pick up a centre. I cant see Mannering become a full time centre.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
As far as I can tell Berrigan is only there to miss tackles and drop the ball over the line. Total muppet.

blain

Juniors
1 missed tackle today and 0 errors?

Sandow hit the ball out of his hands with force, it was ruled that way to. He was solid today.

Got my eye on Horrell, he's a metre eater. Could see him in NRL next year. From memory he only started playing league about a year ago and is only 18.

Izz

Bench
What the f**k does that tell me? I made 0 errors and 0 missed tackles today. Can you tell me what he did, not what he didn't?
He defended well. Was unlucky with the try--didn't swap the ball to the other hand, as he was worried about the sideline, and Sandow came up with a 10% play in hitting the ball free. Made ground from dummy-half, too. Tried to direct Manu inside him at one point, which could've been a great play, but Manu was slow to respond.

He was solid without being great. I'd prefer to see Brown stay at centre, myself; last week when he went out there it looked like he was getting the hang of how he needed to play defensively.

Last edited:
I'm happy on who we have resigned. They all have talent.

Glen Fisiiahi - Speed demon. Enough said.
Sione Lousi - Big, tall and powerful. Can slot in at centre or second row.
Samiuela Lousi - Brother of Sione. Bigger, taller and maybe even more powerful than Sione. He's scary, i can tell you that.
Jacob Lillyman - Solid. Been one of our best and he is improving each year.
Sam Rapira - Very reliable. Been solid for the past couple of years.
Kevin Locke - I think we have resigned him, i don't know. He's got a very bright future ahead of him, that's for sure.

Also, this is just a suggestion. Although, why don't we offer Anthony Gelling a contract? He's been very solid for the Vulcans this season. He's strong and he's a metre eater. Also, there are going to be a few Under 20's players who will step up and get given contracts for the Top 25 squad. So, the future for us is looking very bright.

One Warrior

Bench
In reply to the above, Kevin Locke is signed for 2012, the club took up their option for him for next year. The article says that Ukuma Ta'ai has been re-signed and someone above says Lillyman has re-signed to the end of 2013, have not seen any evidence of these, does anybody have links for these.

hitman82

Bench
Before casting Brett Seymour away, I'd like to see one of our other halfbacks actually perform in first grade.

Isaac John was solid there last season but in the 2(?) games he played this year he was quiet at best.

Pita Godinet and Shaun Johnson are both freaks in the lower grades and appear to have huge potential, but I hope at least one of them is given a shot. I'd hate to hit next season and have neither of them fire.

If this happened, losing Seymour, Hohaia and Heremaia (none of whom are great number 7s but are all solid first graders who generally get the job done) would seem pretty stupid.

What would option c be? Maloney to 7 and Mateo to 6 I assume. Yeah, would really rather we try out Johnson and/or Godinet and if they don't perform we should retain Seymour.

Martli

Coach
Before casting Brett Seymour away, I'd like to see one of our other halfbacks actually perform in first grade.

Isaac John was solid there last season but in the 2(?) games he played this year he was quiet at best.

Pita Godinet and Shaun Johnson are both freaks in the lower grades and appear to have huge potential, but I hope at least one of them is given a shot. I'd hate to hit next season and have neither of them fire.

If this happened, losing Seymour, Hohaia and Heremaia (none of whom are great number 7s but are all solid first graders who generally get the job done) would seem pretty stupid.

What would option c be? Maloney to 7 and Mateo to 6 I assume. Yeah, would really rather we try out Johnson and/or Godinet and if they don't perform we should retain Seymour.

Completely agree. Would be stupid to let Seymour go only a potential long-term replacement.

devoid

Juniors
Re: Jacob Lillyman.

Have read a couple of posts by people suggesting he has been re-signed (someone said they thought it was until 2013); this is incorrect. When Jacob was re-signed last year, it was a one year deal only. See this link for details.

Thus, he remains unsigned beyond 2011.

devoid

Juniors
As for Kilgallon's indications of signings, imo I think he is more or less on the money. Although I would be surprised if we didn't attempt to re-sign Mara and Latimore.