What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooper and Ah Mau

Highland Saint

Juniors
Some great signs. If they play like that every week I'll be stoked. Still some pieces of the puzzle missing. Introducing Aitken was a good start, likewise starting Mez and rotating Rein/Lestrange. Bit of an off game for LeStrange but would stick with it or give Garvey a run.
Feeling a lot more positive than a few weeks ago but the next 6 games or so will be telling

blacksafake

First Grade
Hopefully Mary has worked out that JDB is an 80min workhorse backrower not a prop like Price tried to make him & use him accordingly.As for Ah Mau I have been a critic but once again he has been used incorrectly as an 80 min prop & just maybe we'll see more improvement from him.

southslavia

Juniors
so glad a thread was started to show Ah Mau some love, over the year or so there's been a lot of heat thrown his way. He was outstanding v Manly, always made dents in the line. Someone else mentioned it on here also, but he runs close to the ground (for his size) and is able to keep churning metres with his (massive) legs, all forwards should be doing this. Aitken does something similar also, runs hard and low, never gets tackled on first attempt.

great to see attitude shifting in the side, lets keep it up!

denis preston

First Grade
And with the interchange rule changing next year these big motors are going to be vital.

Massive point. Debellin needs to be the guy with the line speed that the others follow in defence just like Costigan & Smith were years ago. He will never be outstanding in attack but eat up meters when required and intimidate in defence. Pack will look better when creagh gets back. Makato for me doesn't offer anything in attack but it may just have been this game.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Manly's pack is in very poor shape which made us look a little better than we are. Newcastle will be a different story. That said, we are improving and if Benji and Widdop click, we're in with a good chance.
There may also be a little payback in mind from last years match.

giboz71

First Grade
Credit where credit is due, if players like Ah Mau, De Belin and Rein are performing better than expected, we need to credit the coach.

That's a big part of his role, to get the best out of his players. All 3 have have underperformed the last 3 years and the last 2 weeks have seen a marked improvement.

If we see consistent performances from these 3, and we get Dugan, Widdop and Benji firing, Mary may start making believers out of us yet.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Au Mau is playing better this season than his previous seasons and good on him. I bagged him a fair bit but when used in the right way he is good value. Last weekend there was not 1 bad forward on the field. They all played their part. If they keep this up they will go a long way.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Can anyone tell me why Benji and Widdop aren't clicking...they have had most of a pre season to work up a combination as well as having played together for part of last year. Whats going wrong with them??

kit66

Bench
Can anyone tell me why Benji and Widdop aren't clicking...they have had most of a pre season to work up a combination as well as having played together for part of last year. Whats going wrong with them??

It's the coach's job to make the pieces fit and unfortunately our coach is too inexperienced to get these two blokes working off the same page. I'd give it more time, these things can come good with a bit of work and persistence. The worst thing would be to panic and start switching people around instead of letting things take their course.

TruSaint

Referee
so glad a thread was started to show Ah Mau some love, over the year or so there's been a lot of heat thrown his way. He was outstanding v Manly, always made dents in the line. Someone else mentioned it on here also, but he runs close to the ground (for his size) and is able to keep churning metres with his (massive) legs, all forwards should be doing this. Aitken does something similar also, runs hard and low, never gets tackled on first attempt.

great to see attitude shifting in the side, lets keep it up!

Post 13, I mentioned his running style. Not that common in the modern footy forward but suits him. His legs keep pumping whilst being tackled...
Very deceptive strong IMHO.
Good point on Aitken as well. can break a tackle, invites 2-3 defenders.
He has a great future, and he's only a kid.

TruSaint

Referee

Playing out of position.
Benji is a genuine 6. Given space Marshall can create more than Widdop.
Widdop is a solid player, level headed and has a leadership influence. He cant do what benji can even allowing for the age difference.
Problem is I dont know if Widdop is a 7.