What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

Dragsters

First Grade
Sure would be.
But best result would be neither.

Yeah I must admit, a few years back he could have been a good signing, but his last few seasons at parra he has shown himself to be inconsistent and disinterested at times.

I'm not sure where he fits into the team at present.

I would not consider moving anyone to accommodate him except maybe a centre but even then I would have Lomax ahead if him there anyway.

Bench utility maybe but I wouldn't be paying much for him to play there.

If he is on the reported 900k at the eels for next season then I reckon a one year deal paying 500k of his 900k salary, then an option from there if he proves worthy...

Gareth67

First Grade
The Steelers Club in the ' gong still has Reschs on tap and at least one other club. I still like a schooner or two of it and it still tastes the same even though the brewery closed years ago.

Must pay a visit one day merahputih , as you have said the taste is still the same .

I remember at 19 my mates and our girlfiends drinking DA tallies while sitting on a bench in Kings Cross. No police hassling us, everyone having a good time.

Why possum you do surprise me , hanging around that sort of neighborhood at such a temder age and drinking no less .

Drag Queen

Bench
If true it my be.
Personally I wouldn't want him
I'm in a conundrum about his possible signing tbh. When on song, he's amazing to watch. The irony is that neither Widdy or Norman seem to gel with their halve's partners. If he does indeed sign with us, one or the other will go to FB. I have a feeling that Widdop would also be granted an instant release to pursue ESL. Only conjecture though.

Belta

Juniors
I'm in a conundrum about his possible signing tbh. When on song, he's amazing to watch. The irony is that neither Widdy or Norman seem to gel with their halve's partners. If he does indeed sign with us, one or the other will go to FB. I have a feeling that Widdop would also be granted an instant release to pursue ESL. Only conjecture though.

At first I couldn’t see how it could work with Norman and Widdop. But if the rumours come to fruition I kinda see one possibility. My guess is that for Norman to commit he will seek a three year deal. For this season he would need to be hugely subsidised 1st year than a decent (not sure how much) 2020 & 2021 after Widdop departs.

In the interim Norman spends time as a utility player. At training and at various other times in the year ie injuries rep duties or simply experimenting he is slotted in as a play maker. This way he s familiarising himself with the teams plays/structures etc. This would help greatly in terms of his transition to primary play maker for the following 2 years. For 2019, having extra play making options would be a real luxury not many teams could boast.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
At first I couldn’t see how it could work with Norman and Widdop. But if the rumours come to fruition I kinda see one possibility. My guess is that for Norman to commit he will seek a three year deal. For this season he would need to be hugely subsidised 1st year than a decent (not sure how much) 2020 & 2021 after Widdop departs.

In the interim Norman spends time as a utility player. At training and at various other times in the year ie injuries rep duties or simply experimenting he is slotted in as a play maker. This way he s familiarising himself with the teams plays/structures etc. This would help greatly in terms of his transition to primary play maker for the following 2 years. For 2019, having extra play making options would be a real luxury not many teams could boast.

Bingo!!! 100% spot on.

If Norman does sign and if he joins us now, what a perfect opportunity to us him as our utility back. Remember that Mann will be let go and whilst I'd prefer Robson on the bench, I can see the merits of having Norman there.
Norman would most probably be used to rest Widdop during the game. If this is the case then we need to play Lomax as the right centre (as the additional goal-kicker). It would be a travesty to play him on the wing.
Of course Norman could also be used as a back-up for McInnes, by this I mean, McInnes coming off and Hunt moving to hooker and Norman to half. Plenty of creativity there.
Finally, Norman could back up for Dufty, if he starts getting the yips at fullback.

If Widdop moves on in 2020, then Norman slots straight into 5/8. If this rotation proves successful then, this leaves the door open for Field to fulfill the role moving forward.

My biggest concern is Robson. He needs to be in the 17 for sure, but where?

All this is pending Widdop staying in 2019, even if we sign Norman (now).

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Great idea

Brutalitops

Juniors
@dragonssamy61 do you think Widdop will be released now if we sign Norman? Really would prefer he sticks around another year but just can't see why Norman leaves a starting spot in the halves to play behind Widdop

dragonssamy61

First Grade
@dragonssamy61 do you think Widdop will be released now if we sign Norman? Really would prefer he sticks around another year but just can't see why Norman leaves a starting spot in the halves to play behind Widdop

I would be surprised if he did.
He is at training ect.
Not sure about norman.
But if he comes 2019 I hope we keep both.
But more likely 2020.
If he comes this year parra would have to pay a big chunk of the wages

Dragonslayer

First Grade
With the reports of Mann being granted an immediate official release (as early as today), there is no doubt we have signed a suitable replacement who will join us immediately as well.

One would have to assume that that person is Norman.

Next couple of days are going to be interesting to say the least.

possm

Coach
Do a deal with Parra and throw in Aitkin for Norman.

It appears Norman is already signed, thus the release of Mann and the retention of Widdop for 2019. I am happy enough taking a punt with Pearson on the left wing as we have able backup with Pereira. What we really need now is R Jennings or Johnston from the Rabbits to hold down the right wing.

Norman, Widdop, Johnstone and Lomax would be enough back for the fullback position if Dufty fails to address his problems. Aitken and Lafai should be selected on form; there should be no love childs when it comes to first grade selection.

Drag Queen

Bench
With the reports of Mann being granted an immediate official release (as early as today), there is no doubt we have signed a suitable replacement who will join us immediately as well.

One would have to assume that that person is Norman.

Next couple of days are going to be interesting to say the least.
It's supposed to be announced tomorrow who Norman has signed with.

possm

Coach
It's supposed to be announced tomorrow who Norman has signed with.

Are you sure, I thought it was tomorrow when Norman's signing with SGI will be announced. Why is it that the papers put forward these tit bits and Millward remains silent. If the deal has really been done, then Millward should be the one announcing it.