What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

giboz71

First Grade
No offence but most people involved in NRL are absolute morons. Why do we have Wayne Pearce heading up a committee? Why is Freddy Fitler commenting on medical advice?
I mean these dumbbells go into a room and come out hours later with a date, May 28th. Nothing else, just a date.
And according to the QLD Premier they havent provided any details around how they plan to get there and get there safely.
Dimwits.

Yep. 100%

Other than the obvious health concerns which need to be addressed, there are heaps of other questions.

1. Where will teams be based (particularly out of state teams)?
2. How many rounds will be played?
3. Where will Origin fit in?
4. Will the broadcast money be the same (given there will be no crowds, and hence a lesser product)
5. What date is the GF and the Semis and where will they be played?

That's just off the top of my head.

Putting forward a date is not enough.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yep. 100%

Other than the obvious health concerns which need to be addressed, there are heaps of other questions.

1. Where will teams be based (particularly out of state teams)?
2. How many rounds will be played?
3. Where will Origin fit in?
4. Will the broadcast money be the same (given there will be no crowds, and hence a lesser product)
5. What date is the GF and the Semis and where will they be played?

That's just off the top of my head.

Putting forward a date is not enough.
Right on giboz71. As I said previously, they have put the cart before the horse . Talk about working backwards. Plan from the bottom up fellas! They must have so many ifs and buts to sort out by crikey!

giboz71

First Grade
Right on giboz71. As I said previously, they have put the cart before the horse . Talk about working backwards. Plan from the bottom up fellas! They must have so many ifs and buts to sort out by crikey!

Other than the broadcasters and the govt, there are many sponsors that need to be engaged as well. Off the top of my head, just from watching games over the years:

Sportsbet
Holden
KFC
Bundabeg
Harvey Norman
Chemist Warehouse (ref sponsors??)
VB
Steden

I don't think these guys will just turn the money tap back on until they know what the comp will look like. If the QLD government have't even been given a plan, what chances these companies know what's going on?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
When you have big Corporations involved, there is always the need to try for much better deals in negotiations. Everyone wants the games to start but, hey, let's see the money first guys!
I suspect they know they can't get blood from a stone. More likely it'll be about the length of the deal on top of a greater broadcast share.

Nine's 'too ambitious' statement reads very much like a negotiation tactic. Yeah, call me cynical. lol.

Old Timer

Coach
Beaches closed, beaches re-opened, people openly disregard the rules and beaches yet again closed. Unfortunately when you relax a rule or 2 some people think that is a licence to ignore all rules and do as you please. Human nature is indeed a curious thing.

So no doubt when the RL starts again some people will ignore the rules and have organised gatherings at people's homes to watch the footy and have a few beers. I am positive some players will find a way to ignore social distancing and have "outsiders" turning up at games or hotels or wherever.

Adam & Eve will be sorely tempted and eat the forbidden fruit and then the footy will get turned off yet again.

So what is worse
Waiting this out and getting a clean bill of health and moving back to normal?
or
Starting the footy up for it to be again suspended as well as putting us back 4 to 6 weeks from where we currently stand?

Plenty of dickheads in RL and plenty of dickheads that follow it and many on both sides of that equation have shown a complete and blatant disregard for rules so why will it be any different this time?

giboz71

First Grade
Any sport that has been put on hold as a result of COVID-19 has effectively voided their existing contracts.

In the NRL’s case, the broadcasters and sponsors provided their sponsorship and money based on a 26 round comp, Origin, Internationals, stadiums full of people etc

Most of those things don’t apply any more so surely new terms have to be agreed. That’s what Nine is angling for, why pay the same amount for an inferior product?

I’m guessing these issues apply for all professional sports and needs to be addressed and that’s why no other sport is talking about a resumption except the NRL.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee

Brent Read
@brentread_7

The broadcasters and Peter V'landys have agreed May 28 is starting date. The schedule will be confirmed after they know more about other sporting events, such as the T20 World Cup. Indicates it will run longer than 17 weeks but yet to be confirmed
5:21 PM · Apr 24, 2020·Twitter Web App

jeffdragon

Bench
Any sport that has been put on hold as a result of COVID-19 has effectively voided their existing contracts.

In the NRL’s case, the broadcasters and sponsors provided their sponsorship and money based on a 26 round comp, Origin, Internationals, stadiums full of people etc

Most of those things don’t apply any more so surely new terms have to be agreed. That’s what Nine is angling for, why pay the same amount for an inferior product?

I’m guessing these issues apply for all professional sports and needs to be addressed and that’s why no other sport is talking about a resumption

I’m guessing these issues apply for all professional sports and needs to be addressed and that’s why no other sport is talking about a resumption except the NRL.

German Bundedliga football to get underway soon.

Dragon David

First Grade
Beaches closed, beaches re-opened, people openly disregard the rules and beaches yet again closed. Unfortunately when you relax a rule or 2 some people think that is a licence to ignore all rules and do as you please. Human nature is indeed a curious thing.

So no doubt when the RL starts again some people will ignore the rules and have organised gatherings at people's homes to watch the footy and have a few beers. I am positive some players will find a way to ignore social distancing and have "outsiders" turning up at games or hotels or wherever.

Adam & Eve will be sorely tempted and eat the forbidden fruit and then the footy will get turned off yet again.

So what is worse
or
Starting the footy up for it to be again suspended as well as putting us back 4 to 6 weeks from where we currently stand?

Plenty of dickheads in RL and plenty of dickheads that follow it and many on both sides of that equation have shown a complete and blatant disregard for rules so why will it be any different this time?
The panic button has been pushed. Oh quick, quick lets get this sorted so that we can see the footy and get paid. Bugger what will happen if someone breaks the rules and we go back to a delay again just so long as we get a start on 28 May.

hazzbeen

Bench
The panic button has been pushed. Oh quick, quick lets get this sorted so that we can see the footy and get paid. Bugger what will happen if someone breaks the rules and we go back to a delay again just so long as we get a start on 28 May.
What will happen if a player is tested positive after starting the NRL ???? Too early to start back ....

Gareth67

First Grade
What will happen if a player is tested positive after starting the NRL ???? Too early to start back ....

Unfortunately it shall only be a matter of time . The nature of this virus will find it way through all nooks and crannies , very similar to that off a creeping vine .

Quite simply it does not distinguish between race or color , nor non-sportsman or sportsman.

Gareth67

First Grade
As to the beaches being reopened today , I believe that it was a huge mistake, in fact it was far too premature as the disease is not in any shape or form under control.

One only needs to evaluate the statistics from South Korea and China itself to realize that there is still a long way to go before any restrictions should be relaxed . Those countries are showing that people who have recovered (?) from the virus are still testing positive a month or so later , but without any symptoms.

If the beautiful people of the Sydney eastern suburbs ( which was reportedly a Covid-19 hotspot ) wish to show off their bodies , then let them do so in front of a mirror in their own homes .

Banjo2014

Juniors

So what is worse
or

Missus is Filipina/American FILAM they call them - she calls me a dickhead everday - Phil OZ AM - three kids have identity crisis but they are all in unison Sack Mack

Banjo2014

Juniors
Unfortunately it shall only be a matter of time . The nature of this virus will find it way through all nooks and crannies , very similar to that off a creeping vine .

Quite simply it does not distinguish between race or color , nor non-sportsman or sportsman.
Hey Gareth enjoy your posts

Mate I looked at my papers this morning 5am here - in 1999 737 heroin overdose deaths in Sydney - checked the COV19 page just then - dont mean to be a wanker - just working in the Cross for so long in the 80's and 90's - we took more kids to Glebe than you would ever know

upload_2020-4-25_5-49-27.pngAustralia
Confirmed
Recovered
Deaths

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Can't go to work. Can't go to a wedding. Can't go to a funeral. Can't go to Anzac Day service. Can't go to a religious service. Can't go to the pub. Can't go to the pictures. Can't visit a National Park. Can't go for a swim at the beach.

But NRL players are going to be allowed to play??? Really don't get this. It's just not that important at the moment.

Dragon David

First Grade
As to the beaches being reopened today , I believe that it was a huge mistake, in fact it was far too premature as the disease is not in any shape or form under control.

One only needs to evaluate the statistics from South Korea and China itself to realize that there is still a long way to go before any restrictions should be relaxed . Those countries are showing that people who have recovered (?) from the virus are still testing positive a month or so later , but without any symptoms.

If the beautiful people of the Sydney eastern suburbs ( which was reportedly a Covid-19 hotspot ) wish to show off their bodies , then let them do so in front of a mirror in their own homes .

When Randwick Council stupidly announced that the beaches at Clovelly, Maroubra and Coogee were open for Friday, most of the people only saw beaches re-open and did not read the rest involving social distancing rules and lying on the sand prohibited. Why are some people so ignorant and why the hell did they agree to re-open the beaches when as you have said Gareth67 that the virus still lingers in people a lot longer but show no symptoms? Crazy as in my opinion.

If ignorance goes on unabated from all parties, then the pandemic will continue to destruct our lifestyles and livelihoods for much longer. So keep cool guys and hang in there!

Latest posts