What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Spot On

Coach
Who would have guessed that a Channel 9 employee would back Channel 9?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ni...e-game-needed-to-hear-it-20200410-p54iyc.html

Now, before you go saying that I’m employed by Nine and Marks is my boss so naturally I’m going to support his actions, you can stop right there. Anyone who has read my columns over the past 20 years will know I’ve consistently raised the issue of NRL administration squandering hundreds of millions of dollars on flawed philosophies and programs over a long period of time.
My opinions were well documented long before the events of this week. It is a view that I have been victimised for expressing by those trying to protect themselves. Yet, this has not deterred me from saying what needed to be said.

Cactus

Juniors
I am certain Gus has had designs on either a commissioner post or actually running the game.

That article by Gould (and the views expressed by Politis yesterday) in my opinion rule both of them out of future involvement in the governing body. I dont hold for one minute its Goulds job as a "journalist" (cough) to write that right now. Its screamingly obvious politics.

To come out in public with such destabilising comments at such a crucial time when the game is in crisis is plain unforgivable.

Spot On

Coach
Gould is on the money, he has been screaming that stuff re NRL admin stupidity and ineptitude ... for years. And unfortunately, it is impossible to argue against now the NRL clearly has nothing to show for the hundreds of millions it has somehow spent ... on someone or something... somewhere... ??? Who knows???

franklin2323

Immortal
Gould is on the money, he has been screaming that stuff re NRL admin stupidity and ineptitude ... for years. And unfortunately, it is impossible to argue against now the NRL clearly has nothing to show for the hundreds of millions it has somehow spent ... on someone or something... somewhere... ??? Who knows???

Every year NRL posts their financial records... yet now when ch9 aren’t getting what they want it is an issue

Cactus

Juniors

I also think there has been some issues surrounding the financial management of the sport.

But Goulds article is just gutter politics. And gutter politics at the worst possible time.

T-Boon

Coach
This is the most Roosters thing that was ever Roostered.

Exactly!
Its like:
Q:what came first the chicken or the egg?
A: the egg stupid, that's where chickens come from.
Q: well how'd the egg get there?
A: a chicken laid it, you idiot.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not really when you add. Every stable hand, strapper etc. It is more than then the hundred odd people for a race meet.

Many millions of people are still working if it can be done safely then go for it
I understand that there are a lot less race meetings at the moment than usual, are there not?

Spot On

Coach
... and for those Fitzy fans... surprising no one posted at least a link to this article ...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nine-s...raises-serious-questions-20200410-p54iwy.html

Cat-o'-Nine tails: Broadcaster's lashing of NRL raises serious questions

Bloody hell! Talk about a kick in the teeth. In the global history of sport, does anyone recall a broadcaster giving the administrators of the main game it puts to air such a public bashing? Channel Nine didn’t miss the NRL with the statement it released on Thursday afternoon and if you will hold them still for a moment, I’ll give it a quick burst.

“This health crisis,” a Nine spokesperson said, clearly with the imprimatur of the Nine CEO Hugh Marks, “has highlighted the mismanagement of the code over many years. Nine has invested hundreds of millions in this game over decades and we now find they have profoundly wasted those funds with very little to fall back on to support the clubs, the players and supporters. In the past the NRL have had problems and we’ve bailed them out many times ...”

Hold them still, I said! And stop writhing you leaguies, there is only a bit to go.

“It would now appear that much of that has been squandered by a bloated head office completely ignoring the needs of the clubs, players and supporters.”

Nearly there! One more lash for the road ...

“We now find ourselves with a contract that is unfulfilled by the code. We hoped we could talk though a long-term plan.”

Lashed like a convict caught with the governor’s wife, yes? Within an inch of their life and then a couple more inches for good measure. The question is, why?

Why, when you present yourself as the rugby league station and have broadcast the game as your winter mainstay for decades; when the rugby league brand is a good part of your own brand; why be so publicly savage, humiliating the game and its administrators in such a manner? It fits with no obvious corporate strategy I can think of, unless ...

1. Unless Nine would rather not broadcast rugby league at all this year, preferring to keep in its own pocket the $130 million it has committed to paying the NRL for the full-blown product, because there’s no way they’ll get anything like that revenue for broadcasting a half-arsed product in empty stadiums. If that is the case, a possible reason for venting your angst is to make it clear to the public that the fault for no games on free-to-air this year lies with the NRL not Nine.
  2. Or, you give the NRL such a public bashing that it will accept any money you throw its way, and be grateful for it.

Either way it confirms that once the plague leaves us, it will not be business as usual for the league, any more than it will be for the other major sports.

T-Boon

Coach
He lobbied to kill off the international round, said RL was dead when Fox sooked up, and is now death riding the game and Greenberg.

He also has a harelip.
And he totally ruins the Matty Johns Podcast because he cant tell a story. He is worse than Craig McLaughlin.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Did Gould really just say this?

“Do you really expect any broadcasters, corporate partners or sponsors will be investing one more cent into the NRL without assurances on how this money will be spent for the betterment of the game?”

wtf? When you buy something it doesn’t give you the right to tell the manufacturer how to run their business! They aren’t “investing” they are purchasing a product to make money from. Get fcked Gould and anyone who thinks he should be ceo!,

Vee

First Grade
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ni...e-game-needed-to-hear-it-20200410-p54iyc.html

Now, before you go saying that I’m employed by Nine and Marks is my boss so naturally I’m going to support his actions, you can stop right there. Anyone who has read my columns over the past 20 years will know I’ve consistently raised the issue of NRL administration squandering hundreds of millions of dollars on flawed philosophies and programs over a long period of time.
My opinions were well documented long before the events of this week. It is a view that I have been victimised for expressing by those trying to protect themselves. Yet, this has not deterred me from saying what needed to be said.
And consistently ignored the sins of my employer, Nein.

Latest posts