What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

shear_joy9

Coach
Is there another sport in the world that has been exploited and abused the way League is? I don't understand why they fight tooth and nail for the rights but seem to absolutely hate the game.

it really is crazy. They own the rights, but don't they realise that constantly knocking the game will have an impact on the ratings?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I've been hearing the same crap from the media conglomerates forever now. Leagues dead, union warchest, fox not bidding, AFL takeover blah blah blah.

Is there another sport in the world that has been exploited and abused the way League is? I don't understand why they fight tooth and nail for the rights but seem to absolutely hate the game.

Exactly, because if they let it grow it would get bigger and bigger and cost a fortune.

Spot On

Coach
No.
Now tell me what would you cut?

So, we now know that it costs 500K a week to run the game. Are you any chance of breaking that down for us??? Or is it to be broken down using your categories and percentage amounts from previous posts??? ie 3.8% of that 500K a week goes to admin costs???

Spot On

Coach
so what would you cut and what would you do with it instead?

43.1% club grants
19.1% revenue generation
16.7% grass roots
5.3% Putting Games on
5.6% player welfare and insurances
3.8% admin
Surplus 5.7%

Here's your categories and percentages of spend.

Can you provide a dollar figure for these please?

Perth Red

Post Whore
So, we now know that it costs 500K a week to run the game. Are you any chance of breaking that down for us??? Or is it to be broken down using your categories and percentage amounts from previous posts??? ie 3.8% of that 500K a week goes to admin costs???

Stop believing what news ltd is feeding you.
How do you want to define “costs to run the game”? If you are talking about how much does the nrl spend every year then it is actually A total of $9.5mill a week. If you’re asking how much do they spend to put on the nrl comp and raise the non media revenue it’s $7.9 mill a week. If you’re asking how much does the nrl spend on nrl comp non club grant areas a year its $6.6mill a week. If you’re talking purely hq administration costs of the game it’s $390k a week. ( in 2019)

Revenue was equivalent of $10.1million a week

and yes in 2019 it is split into the %’s I’ve posted as total expenditure against total revenue by line item.

Last edited:

AJB1102

First Grade
You'd think NRL were the only business who doesn't have significant cash reserves to ride out months without trading..

Spot On

Coach
Stop believing what news ltd is feeding you.
How do you want to define “costs to run the game”? If you are talking about how much does the nrl spend every year then it is actually A total of $9.5mill a week. If you’re asking how much do they spend to put on the nrl comp and raise the non media revenue it’s $7.9 mill a week. If you’re asking how much does the nrl spend on nrl comp non club grant areas a year its $6.6mill a week. If you’re talking purely hq administration costs of the game it’s $390k a week. ( in 2019)

Revenue was equivalent of $10.1million a week

and yes in 2019 it is split into the %’s I’ve posted as total expenditure against total revenue by line item.

... and where does the missing $4.7 a year since 2017 for player super fit in? Is it ok to take it from one category and place it under admin costs or has that already been done????

Could you also advise us which media outlet is telling everyone the absolute truth so LU users know where to access the best content and reporting about their beloved sport??? Apparently we can't read or listen to News Ltd or NEC reporting. It is all fake.

NRL digital arm perhaps?? That would help with revenue no doubt!

Spot On

Coach
You'd think NRL were the only business who doesn't have significant cash reserves to ride out months without trading..

Yeah definitely.

Businesses with close to 2 billion dollar contracts usually have zero cash on hand and zero assets.

They also defer super payments to pay admin costs for the past 3 years.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
... and where does the missing $4.7 a year since 2017 for player super fit in? Is it ok to take it from one category and place it under admin costs or has that already been done????

Could you also advise us which media outlet is telling everyone the absolute truth so LU users know where to access the best content and reporting about their beloved sport??? Apparently we can't read or listen to News Ltd or NEC reporting. It is all fake.

The super doesn't have to be paid in until 2022 at the latest. That was in the SMH.

simmo05

Bench
The NRL should not be listening to nein, or fox, or gould, or Kent or any other employees of the companies trying to f**k them over. The NRL can use this crisis to remove these two 'partners' from their existence. Market the reduced season to all and sundry, play it during the t20 world cup. Nein would get absolutely pumped in ratings, and hopefully go broke. Shit merkins the lot of em

Perth Red

Post Whore

re player super not sure what line it sat in, I guess the nrl had a plan to ensure it meet it’s obligations to have $25mill in there by end of 2022, maybe out of the two surpluses from the last two years? The obvious place for it to be accounted to as a line item would be in player welfare I’d have thought?

I dont believe any of the news media are telling the truth at the moment, or what passes for truth is being spun in such a negative way it is difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Maybe The Australian?

franklin2323

Immortal
... and what was his payout figure? That was the query.

I heard $1.5m

The figure doesn’t matter. What matters is he unlike Buzz and those others has been in charge at a club level.... Where he blew money hand over fist.

He also had no issue getting 130% of the cap when in that role. The aim now is to get a good deal for ch9 pure and simple