What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Perth Tiger

Bench
The NRL should not be listening to nein, or fox, or gould, or Kent or any other employees of the companies trying to f**k them over. The NRL can use this crisis to remove these two 'partners' from their existence. Market the reduced season to all and sundry, play it during the t20 world cup. Nein would get absolutely pumped in ratings, and hopefully go broke. Shit merkins the lot of em
Further to that, does anyone think the T20 cup will actually happen? I doubt the gov will open up the borders to nations that are still getting smashed by it if we have stopped the spread locally.

would be great to see the NRL on 10 and 9 miss out on the T20

King hit

Coach
I've been hearing the same crap from the media conglomerates forever now. Leagues dead, union warchest, fox not bidding, AFL takeover blah blah blah.

Is there another sport in the world that has been exploited and abused the way League is? I don't understand why they fight tooth and nail for the rights but seem to absolutely hate the game.
Fear

franklin2323

Immortal
re player super not sure what line it sat in, I guess the nrl had a plan to ensure it meet it’s obligations to have $25mill in there by end of 2022, maybe out of the two surpluses from the last two years? The obvious place for it to be accounted to as a line item would be in player welfare I’d have thought?

I dont believe any of the news media are telling the truth at the moment, or what passes for truth is being spun in such a negative way it is difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Maybe The Australian?

2022 gives you 3 more Magic rounds. 9 origins. 3 GF’s etc. So it is easy to make the amount up later

franklin2323

Immortal
Further to that, does anyone think the T20 cup will actually happen? I doubt the gov will open up the borders to nations that are still getting smashed by it if we have stopped the spread locally.

Nope. I have tickets and don’t expect it will be on. I don’t think lockdown will be as bad then but can’t see International travel happening

The Marshall

Juniors
John Barilaro reveals why NSW Government is backing return of NRL
Only days after NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard questioned restarting rugby league amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Mr Barilaro is now joining the Australian Rugby League Commission’s Project Apollo push personally.

A close friend of Canberra coach Ricky Stuart, the Deputy Premier said he expected to receive some criticism for helping fast-track rugby league’s return, and within just seven weeks, ahead of other major sports and industries.

However, the state government’s eagerness to revive the NRL competition is, he said, driven by the “significant uplift” it would provide NSW, both economically and from a social and wellbeing perspective.

Mr Barilaro added that, starting this week, he would also be offering to personally assist ARLC chairman Peter V’landys with issues like both the Queensland border situation and travel requirements for the returning New Zealand Warriors.

Incredibly, the announcement comes only days after Mr Hazzard not only questioned rugby league’s return, but suggested the code’s announced May 28 restart was yet to be confirmed.

Asked if Mr Hazzard should have better understood the government’s standing on the situation, the Deputy Premier said: “Brad probably should have but this is a moving beast and he’s been focused on the health disaster.

“I know he spoke about signing off on the orders, but I’m not sure if he was talking about signing off on protocols to ensure people are protected or if there was confusion around whether he has to do it legally. But he doesn’t.

“The reality is that the NRL chose to close itself down at the height of the pandemic. It made that decision for the welfare and wellbeing of its own staff, players and clubs. But there is no public order which stops rugby league from taking place.

“It’s no different to racing (which has been ongoing).

“So while there may have been some confusion, I can tell you that in the conversation I’ve had with the Premier and the Treasurer, we’ve all spoken about the NRL (returning) and said ‘yes, absolutely’. Of course we’ll sit down with them to check through protocols and measures, but we want to see the game up and running.”

Asked if the May 28 return date had state government support, Mr Barilaro was adamant: “It does.” He added that, from this week, he would begin liaising with all the relevant state and federal bodies to ensure the hyped Project Apollo date is met.

“And I’ll likely cop grief from other codes like soccer and Aussie rules,” he said.

“There will be people ask ‘why aren’t you saying the same for all?’. And I would say the same for all.

“But rugby league is at the heart of everything we do in NSW. I’ve been talking with a lot of people this past week and it’s clear that as the infections decrease, we start looking to where you lift restrictions with economic uplift, social uplift and mental wellbeing uplift.

“Where can you do that and minimise health risk?

“That’s what treasury will do with health experts for every industry.

“And when it comes to rugby league, the economic uplift will be significant. Just as the social and wellbeing uplift will be significant.

“There’s a real case there of looking at risk versus all those other opportunities and saying ‘yes, rugby league should be one of the first industries that should get the go ahead’.”

Asked if reviving the NRL would really help with the wellbeing of thousands left unemployed by COVID-19, Mr Barilaro said: “Look, it’s a tough one. And I’ve copped some criticism (for saying it will). But there’s a real issue right now because self-isolation is contrary to the Australian DNA.

“And I have no doubt that as much as we’re all hurting, rugby league can lift spirits.

“Rugby league brings families together. It sends a message that there is a level of normality on the horizon.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/4dda20c568d54e09eaa6ad4091c2679a

simmo05

Bench

Now that would be amazing!

Cactus

Juniors
That story tells us 2 things:

1) The daily telegraph manufactures outright lies
2) The ARLC on this issue were, and still are, ahead of a) that game that perpetually fumbles and b) the game that fumbles & then falls over

franklin2323

Immortal
John Barilaro reveals why NSW Government is backing return of NRL
Only days after NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard questioned restarting rugby league amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Mr Barilaro is now joining the Australian Rugby League Commission’s Project Apollo push personally.

A close friend of Canberra coach Ricky Stuart, the Deputy Premier said he expected to receive some criticism for helping fast-track rugby league’s return, and within just seven weeks, ahead of other major sports and industries.

However, the state government’s eagerness to revive the NRL competition is, he said, driven by the “significant uplift” it would provide NSW, both economically and from a social and wellbeing perspective.

Mr Barilaro added that, starting this week, he would also be offering to personally assist ARLC chairman Peter V’landys with issues like both the Queensland border situation and travel requirements for the returning New Zealand Warriors.

Incredibly, the announcement comes only days after Mr Hazzard not only questioned rugby league’s return, but suggested the code’s announced May 28 restart was yet to be confirmed.

Asked if Mr Hazzard should have better understood the government’s standing on the situation, the Deputy Premier said: “Brad probably should have but this is a moving beast and he’s been focused on the health disaster.

“I know he spoke about signing off on the orders, but I’m not sure if he was talking about signing off on protocols to ensure people are protected or if there was confusion around whether he has to do it legally. But he doesn’t.

“The reality is that the NRL chose to close itself down at the height of the pandemic. It made that decision for the welfare and wellbeing of its own staff, players and clubs. But there is no public order which stops rugby league from taking place.

“It’s no different to racing (which has been ongoing).

“So while there may have been some confusion, I can tell you that in the conversation I’ve had with the Premier and the Treasurer, we’ve all spoken about the NRL (returning) and said ‘yes, absolutely’. Of course we’ll sit down with them to check through protocols and measures, but we want to see the game up and running.”

Asked if the May 28 return date had state government support, Mr Barilaro was adamant: “It does.” He added that, from this week, he would begin liaising with all the relevant state and federal bodies to ensure the hyped Project Apollo date is met.

“And I’ll likely cop grief from other codes like soccer and Aussie rules,” he said.

“There will be people ask ‘why aren’t you saying the same for all?’. And I would say the same for all.

“But rugby league is at the heart of everything we do in NSW. I’ve been talking with a lot of people this past week and it’s clear that as the infections decrease, we start looking to where you lift restrictions with economic uplift, social uplift and mental wellbeing uplift.

“Where can you do that and minimise health risk?

“That’s what treasury will do with health experts for every industry.

“And when it comes to rugby league, the economic uplift will be significant. Just as the social and wellbeing uplift will be significant.

“There’s a real case there of looking at risk versus all those other opportunities and saying ‘yes, rugby league should be one of the first industries that should get the go ahead’.”

Asked if reviving the NRL would really help with the wellbeing of thousands left unemployed by COVID-19, Mr Barilaro said: “Look, it’s a tough one. And I’ve copped some criticism (for saying it will). But there’s a real issue right now because self-isolation is contrary to the Australian DNA.

“And I have no doubt that as much as we’re all hurting, rugby league can lift spirits.

“Rugby league brings families together. It sends a message that there is a level of normality on the horizon.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/4dda20c568d54e09eaa6ad4091c2679a

Good article. Now to get the Broncos in the ear of those up north

tri_colours

Juniors
It's alright. Keep calm everybody Buzz is on our side!

7203cee8476d8178b264fbf1744571ef

Monday Buzz: Channel 9 won’t get away with
MONDAY BUZZ: Channel 9 faces the most severe public ­relations backlash for trying to kick rugby league while it’s down and ­facing its biggest crisis, writes Phil Rothfield.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=DTWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/monday-buzz-channel-9-wont-get-away-with-nrl-ploy/news-story/ad29483438012d95a494d35e69f23a04&memtype=registered&mode=premium

I don't have full access to the article, but from those words you can tell he's very serious:p

Last edited:

Cactus

Juniors

MONDAY BUZZ: Channel 9 faces the most severe public ­relations backlash for trying to kick rugby league while it’s down and ­facing its biggest crisis, writes Phil Rothfield.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=DTWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/monday-buzz-channel-9-wont-get-away-with-nrl-ploy/news-story/ad29483438012d95a494d35e69f23a04&memtype=registered&mode=premium

I don't have full access to the article, but from those you can tell he's very serious

That story tells us 2 things:

1) The daily telegraph manufactures outright lies
2) Buzz perpetually fumbles his drink when faced with an opportunity to bury Gus*

* I admit I have not read the story yet but am adding such license and humorous drama as I see fit in this time of crisis

Danish

Referee
View attachment 37527

problem is complacency. If you take out the big spike period due to the cruise ship fiascos and landings then we are still climbing in prevalence compared to around March 18th. We’ve been incredibly fortunate so far but it’s when you hit 6-10k and then IF it starts to follow same incidence patterns that we will be in trouble, hopefully the semi isolation period we have now will reduce the likelihood of that happening.
But fact remains if there is a risk of contracting it then the season is a lottery, only takes one player and were cooked.

total cases are still rising

You know total cases is cumulative, right? It’s not like they can go down.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

7203cee8476d8178b264fbf1744571ef

I don't have full access to the article, but from those words you can tell he's very serious:p
Monday Buzz: Channel 9 won’t get away with NRL ploy
Channel 9 faces the most severe public relations backlash for trying to kick rugby league while it’s down and facing its biggest crisis,

It was as predictable as the Easter bunny arriving that Sydney woke on Sunday to a Gus Gould rant defending his employers, the Nine network.

“Nine’s attack was right on the money and the game needed to hear it,” the Nine newspaper columnist said in defence of his Nine television station under the banner of Independent Always.

How absurd.

This from a man who annually wasted millions of dollars in his previous job as general manager of Penrith over a period in which the Panthers lost more money than any other club in the game.

But back to Channel 9.

The whole catchcry of coronavirus, on its own TV network, is that “we’re in this together”.

Then to use the global health epidemic as a business practice to try to cripple a sporting organisation is just disgraceful.

Channel 9 will not get away with it.

It faces the most severe public relations backlash for trying to kick rugby league while it’s down and facing its biggest crisis.

This is a time when all sporting codes and businesses are bleeding.

The AFL is needing a $500 million loan to survive but its major broadcast partner Channel 7 has been fully supportive.

Many of Nine’s problems with rugby league have been self-inflicted anyway.

Its poor coverage and negativity in recent years has led to a huge ratings decline.

Its State of Origin broadcasts have lost millions of viewers.

At the same time, Fox Sports ratings and Kayo subscriptions have increased.

It shows that the product is fine but the way in which it is broadcast is the problem.

Not that anyone from the NRL tells Channel 9 how to do its job.

We have said all along that this is a tactic by Nine boss Hugh Marks to try to get more for less.

Next to Gus’s offerings was another column explaining how Nine now wants exclusive content — its own games and no more simulcasts with Fox Sports.

This would cost a fortune to buy the rights from the pay TV network, which pays the majority of the TV broadcast deal.

Yet Nine is still demanding a reduced contract.

This threatens the survival of struggling Sydney clubs which have already lost their poker machine income. This threatens the grassroots funding of the game.

Less money to the NRL means less money to the states.

This is a time for the NRL to play hard ball, not for Peter V’landys to apologise.

For too long this network has screwed over the NRL with its selfish scheduling demands.

We spoke last week of the old midnight replays of the second Friday night games and the delayed coverage of Sunday afternoon football with more ad breaks than tries scored.

In its statement last week, Nine complained of being left out of discussions for future scheduling.

No mention of the fact Gould was offered a position on the Project Apollo innovation committee.

(There is mail Marks ordered him not to take up the offer.)

Also no mention of the fact NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg was spotted at Nine headquarters walking into a meeting with Marks to discuss the game’s various challenges.

This column is not about defending the NRL because there is no denying the code has been poorly mismanaged over a long period of time.

It’s about holding Channel 9 to account. It cannot be allowed to treat the game, the fans, the players or the clubs in this manner.

If Nine can’t support the code in these difficult times, it should walk away.

Let Channel 7 or Channel 10 come on board. The bosses of both networks have reached out to NRL powerbrokers in recent days to express their interest. Stay tuned.

Latest posts