What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
And who can forget Eddie himself suggesting that Adam Goodes could be used to promote the King Kong musical.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/4720152

Holy hell and this bloke is a leadership figure in the AFL.

The culture difference within the two games is chalk and cheese.

The difference is the media attention. The AFL can do pretty much whatever it pleases with the green light from the media. Does McLaughlin need to be a strong leader? When he won't read about the fallout from any decision he makes (unless it's financial) and his supporter base don't give a f**k, why would he bother? He doesn't need to be tough on anything. He just needs to keep the coffers flush. The game is that instituionalised in Victoria especially as the stronghold of AFL, and in other states it gets f**k all media coverage (potentially Adelaide aside, but their voice is much smaller) that he's got a much easier ride than the NRL does.

Rugby league has a much harsher media spotlight on it. The media in Sydney (I wouldn't say Brisbane, they seem to get a pretty free ride) are quick to jump over anything, probably too much so. I doubt there's been any speculation over McLaughlin's job. Greenberg lived with it every second day. So did Gallop. So did Dave Smith.

Incidentally I heard that Adam Goodes/King Kong part on live radio. I almost crashed the car. A broadcaster or personality in league would be sacked, never to return again in the NRL. But I'm not certain McGuire had to squeak out anything more than a weak sorry. Although he is the biggest of swinging dicks in AFL land.

I'm not being critical of AFL, I lived in Melbourne and I appreciate the game. I loved the game, it's a hell of a product (ignoring the game itself which I find tedious, they do the product outside that well). But it's teflon-coated, it could survive a nuclear war without a scratch on it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
PVL seems right at home down in the trenches .

My brother who has followed his business career has a theory .
That he will as he has done with Racing & attempting to do with RL is get it in far far better shape than it has been for decades then will enter politics .
He will eventually run for Premier .
So he is planning on demoting himself?

T-Boon

Coach
They play on weekends, don't they?

While ever there are no crowds allowed I don't know why they would be playing on weekends. The month of June there should be a game on each night and 2 on Sunday. Fox would be laughing.

greenBV4

Bench
I'm really interested now to see what the actual draw is going to look like, Storm CEO is lead to believe that our first few games will all be mostly "away" games, followed by a backlog of home games at the end of the season possibly with crowds.

"Donaghy said he understood that the remainder of the 2020 draw would be equalised with more home games later in the season – and he believed Melbourne could possibly be played in front of crowds.

“That would be my understanding, if we were playing more away games at the start there would be the opportunity to back-end some home games,” he said."

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2020/05/04/donaghy-first-few-games-will-be-played-interstate/

unforgiven

Bench
I'm really interested now to see what the actual draw is going to look like, Storm CEO is lead to believe that our first few games will all be mostly "away" games, followed by a backlog of home games at the end of the season possibly with crowds.

"Donaghy said he understood that the remainder of the 2020 draw would be equalised with more home games later in the season – and he believed Melbourne could possibly be played in front of crowds.

“That would be my understanding, if we were playing more away games at the start there would be the opportunity to back-end some home games,” he said."

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2020/05/04/donaghy-first-few-games-will-be-played-interstate/
Its a hard one because then again you are creating an in balance of some teams getting a favourable draw that allows them to play more home games in front of crowds then other teams.

greenBV4

Bench
They play on weekends, don't they? Maybe the club will give them 48 hours immediately following each game to duck down to Melbourne and empty their fluid bowls, so long as this fits in with the social distancing strategies.
I found that statement about weekends weird also, maybe it was a little leak they they actually are considering games throughout the week instead as there would be no impact on crowds?

Or it could be in the context of a "work weekend", ie 2 days off but not necessarily on the actual weekend.

greenBV4

Bench
Its a hard one because then again you are creating an in balance of some teams getting a favourable draw that allows them to play more home games in front of crowds then other teams.
yeah it creates a strong home run to the finals, however I do think the statement about crowds was a bit optimistic (he calls himself an "eternal optimist" in the article), the NRL will probably will play it safe and not have crowds until at least finals anyway.

T-Boon

Coach
I found that statement about weekends weird also, maybe it was a little leak they they actually are considering games throughout the week instead as there would be no impact on crowds?

If there was a game on each night of the week through June I am pretty sure every man in the country would cancel their Netflix/Stan and get Fox put back on.

TheFrog

Coach
While ever there are no crowds allowed I don't know why they would be playing on weekends. The month of June there should be a game on each night and 2 on Sunday. Fox would be laughing.
Nine would probably want their games left as they are, but you could still play every night of the week.

Er.... just part of the protocol as hes coughing and proven not to have self isolated.... ??

These headlines are missing the token buzzwords eg bombshell, shock, crisis.. a sure sign it’s meaningless by journo standards..

Funny that foxsports have reported this quite differently..