What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

jim_57

Staff member
Potentially a big health risk for NZ bringing hundreds of players and staff over but....

If they agree it would be an awesome thank you to the Warriors and a shot in the arm for NZ Rugby League. QLD is another possibility but with less noticeable benefits.

NZ Govt would likely play hardball though.

It'd be last resort for the NRL because I assume everyone would have to isolate for 14 days going to NZ. It's probably the last option left after Queensland though.

Steel Saints

Juniors
If the whole comp was to relocate to Qld, what stadiums would they use?

Suncorp
Cbus
Qld Country Bank
Dolphin stadium
1300 Smiles???

blaza88z

Coach
They'll be playing all games in QLD before too long and even QLD isn't safe with the borders just re-opening and people crossing to QLD in mass exodus

It's a bit of a Steven Bradbury comp this season

blaza88z

Coach
I don't want to hear another "Oh well the public are doing it anyway"

We're lucky the NRL have been up and running since May, keeping players in a bubble but I do fear we'll go backwards, just like here in Sydney.

If anything Rugby League has proven in the past 20 years or so, it's that the players are as intelligent as your average joe who turns up to watch a game at the ground

parrawentyfan

Juniors

Suncorp
Cbus
Qld Country Bank
Dolphin stadium
1300 Smiles???

Depends if they want to consolidate or spread it around. I can see them just scheduling a whole bunch at Suncorp but there are numerous venues used in QLD in the past.

Suncorp
Gold Coast
Redcliffe
Sunshine Coast
Mackay
Rockhampton
Cairns
Townsville
(Possibly Gladstone)?

This would engage more fans and limit the fields deteriorating too much.

jim_57

Staff member

Suncorp
Cbus
Qld Country Bank
Dolphin stadium
1300 Smiles???

Places like Sunshine Coast, Mackay, Toowoomba, Gladstone and Cairns have hosted NRL recently so obviously meet the standards. Rockhampton probably would too.

Honestly it'd probably be more practical to have as many teams based in SEQ as possible and share games between Suncorp, Cbus, Sunshine Coast Stadium, Dolphin Oval. Maybe Ipswich or Toowoomba for the odd game where needed. All within driving distance of each other for game day except Townsville.

They'd have to shuffle the draw but for Townsville they could send 3 teams (+Cowboys) up there for 3 weeks and play 3 double headers before they all come back to South East Queensland to save some travel/risk.

Wizardman

First Grade
I think NSW clubs should move to QLD immediately. COVID situations evolve very quickly and when it involves borders, things will get dicey.
I can't see NZ saving our asses for the sake of keeping the comp going.....nor should they have to. I think Qld will be the last port of call before a comp shutdown.
If we have learnt anything from V'Landys though, that bloke will push until the comp is forced not to continue. Prepare for the comp to evolve into a bit of a circus in the meantime though.

Andrew Abdo was on Fox Sports News last night and said the NRL were also looking at the option of moving the Qld based teams to New South Wales. He said they are looking at all options.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Places like Sunshine Coast, Mackay, Toowoomba, Gladstone and Cairns have hosted NRL recently so obviously meet the standards. Rockhampton probably would too.

Honestly it'd probably be more practical to have as many teams based in SEQ as possible and share games between Suncorp, Cbus, Sunshine Coast Stadium, Dolphin Oval. Maybe Ipswich or Toowoomba for the odd game where needed. All within driving distance of each other for game day except Townsville.

They'd have to shuffle the draw but for Townsville they could send 3 teams (+Cowboys) up there for 3 weeks and play 3 double headers before they all come back to South East Queensland to save some travel/risk.

Yeah you probably have four teams based in each location. Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Townsville should be the locations.

Jamberoo

Juniors
AFl should move everyone to WA and NRL to NZ. Two most isolated places and most likely to be covid free of CT. Otherwise I can see both comps shut down again within a couple of weeks unless Vic and NSW can get on top of it.

4 clubs in Townsville
4 clubs Sunny Coast
4 Clubs GC
4 Clubs Brisbane
NSW should be back in lockdown already. They saw what happened in Victoria and to wait until numbers rise by definition means that they will have acted too late. Do it now for two weeks rather than the inevitable six weeks.
The AFL has stepped into QLD. I’d expect the NRL to be doing so soon.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/a...s/news-story/7bfe4569f2436241e649f53405fc49c7
Vic AFL clubs won’t be returning home - it sounds like finals in Qld as well
The AFL has booked another four resorts/hotels in SEQ with access to training ovals until September. That makes seven I think. They will need more if Swans and Giants have to move as well.
Where would 9/10 NRL teams stay and train? Let’s hope numbers stay relatively low in NSW as Qld might not be feasible. And with no Qld teams likely to make finals, perhaps NSW is better anyway.

Latest posts