What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

greenBV4

Bench
Interesting - and I reckon that's why Andrew Abdo had the refence to moving to NSW rather than Qld. He's a finance man. And it's an absolute high-wire balancing act they are walking this season.

Of course - ensuring the players are isolated from risk of Covid is the primary must. The slip-ups last week must be eliminated and bullet-proof procedures be in place and enforced. Given that has (will) happen then....

Relocating 4 further teams to NSW (Cowboys, Broncos, Titans, Storm) under stricter Covid "Bubbles" will cost far less than shifting 12 teams to Qld. The Raiders may stay in the ACT for a NSW comp, but definitely have to relocate for a QLD comp.

It'll come down to..
1 - if the border shuts and
2 - if the comp gets shut down by the NSW govt.

I think 1 is a very likely scenario at some point, but 2 is only a likely scenario if Covid gets far worse in NSW than it did in it's peak back a few months ago.

Regarding crowds... It might also come down to what revenue can be drawn from the gates. If the Border shuts down, will the NSW state govt will allow crowds to continue or not. I think Qld will have the advantage here as bigger crowds will be allowed at Suncorp. But this still wouldn't completely offset the costs or full relocation like the AFL -$3M a week is a far bigger hit to the NRL than AFL. So I don't think this will come into the equation of thinking of QLD vs NSW to host the comp.

Given Vlandys' record throughout the whole season I'm confident that even in the worst of scenarios, he'll have multiple contingencies already in place to keep the comp going, and successfully.
But isn't the whole point of the talk around relocating to qld because of the virus starting the worsen in nsw? I doubt the qld players would be happy having to relocate INTO a hotspot

Perth Red

Post Whore
But isn't the whole point of the talk around relocating to qld because of the virus starting the worsen in nsw? I doubt the qld players would be happy having to relocate INTO a hotspot

Will all depend on Sydney's ability to control any outbreaks. as we can see in Melbourne it isnt easy if it does get out again. Any similar outbreak in Sydney and dont think NRL will have a choice, they will have to uproot everyone to Qland (presuming it is clear there). sooner this season, and fricking Covid, is over with the better!

Problem though is likely to be cost. The NRL would be unlikely to have the available money to relocate 12 teams to Qld for 10-14 weeks. Furthermore the main issue seems to be that teh Qld Government are tightening border restrictions by refusing to let anyone into the state that has been in the "hot spots" in NSW.

This article give a bit of an idea about what is going on - https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/covid1...-radical-move-to-combat-covid-19-spike_160720

jim_57

Staff member
Problem though is likely to be cost. The NRL would be unlikely to have the available money to relocate 12 teams to Qld for 10-14 weeks. Furthermore the main issue seems to be that teh Qld Government are tightening border restrictions by refusing to let anyone into the state that has been in the "hot spots" in NSW.

This article give a bit of an idea about what is going on - https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/covid1...-radical-move-to-combat-covid-19-spike_160720

If the AFL has said 3 million wouldn't it be closer to 2 million for the NRL with less players and less teams relocating. Surely the NRL can afford that, especially compared to the alternative of maybe having to call it off again.

It might seriously be in the NRL's best interests to start negotiating with NZ, QLD and even other state governments about having all the finals in one of those locations if NSW is looking unlikely.

Yep.

And if Qld govt pull the drawbridge up, the whole comp would have to be located in one state. So which State.....?

In my post you'll see I mentioned that a Covid-free environment is a must, cannot be compromised. Ie if they were in NSW or Qld it would need to be with the 100% assurance of protection against covid.

Of the 2 states Qld would be a far more costly option than NSW - purely on the number of teams to move. There's 50 players per club in each "Bubble". So can assume that all of them would need to be put up.

So if we look at how that would be different from present day...

That means 600 people would need relocation to Qld, 200 to NSW... Thus Qld would have approx 400 EXTRA people put up over the course of possibly the rest of the season.

Any disadvantage of higher costs NSW would have in order to have higher levels of Biosecurity compliance would be dwarfed by the cost to fly and house 400 people to Qld for the rest of the year.
And this whole season is under the most financial pressure since 1908. So - the NSW option is the better of the two IF the drawbridge goes up.

Again - all is underlined by the 100% biosecurity compliant needs of all the players and staff within "the bubble".

And yes, I'm sure the Qld teams wouldn't be happy - and would have limited freedoms they otherwise have at home - but the Warriors and the Storm are already in this boat.

This is no normal season and the financials this year are extremely crucial. The financial costs of relocations would be severe. And more severe if going to Qld. The financial costs of the comp stopping again would be disastrous.

If the AFL has said 3 million wouldn't it be closer to 2 million for the NRL with less players and less teams relocating. Surely the NRL can afford that, especially compared to the alternative of maybe having to call it off again.

They are already bleeding from everything that's gone on. The financial dramas we all heard about when the comp stopped haven't gone away - they are still there.

This isn't a season where it's how much money the NRL make/have got - it's a season to prevent as much bleeding as possible so it's not fatal.

greenBV4

Bench
Yep.

And if Qld govt pull the drawbridge up, the whole comp would have to be located in one state. So which State.....?

In my post you'll see I mentioned that a Covid-free environment is a must, cannot be compromised. Ie if they were in NSW or Qld it would need to be with the 100% assurance of protection against covid.

Of the 2 states Qld would be a far more costly option than NSW - purely on the number of teams to move. There's 50 players per club in each "Bubble". So can assume that all of them would need to be put up.

So if we look at how that would be different from present day...

That means 600 people would need relocation to Qld, 200 to NSW... Thus Qld would have approx 400 EXTRA people put up over the course of possibly the rest of the season.

Any disadvantage of higher costs NSW would have in order to have higher levels of Biosecurity compliance would be dwarfed by the cost to fly and house 400 people to Qld for the rest of the year.
And this whole season is under the most financial pressure since 1908. So - the NSW option is the better of the two IF the drawbridge goes up.

Again - all is underlined by the 100% biosecurity compliant needs of all the players and staff within "the bubble".

And yes, I'm sure the Qld teams wouldn't be happy - and would have limited freedoms they otherwise have at home - but the Warriors and the Storm are already in this boat.

This is no normal season and the financials this year are extremely crucial. The financial costs of relocations would be severe. And more severe if going to Qld. The financial costs of the comp stopping again would be disastrous.
100% it would be cheaper and easier to relocate all clubs to NSW but there's no point in that if the numbers worsen and the state gov shuts down sport, then they have to relocate 16 teams, and by that point it might be too late and QLD says no

Obviously they have experts looking into it and monitoring the numbers, but the AFL must of gotten wind of something for them to ditch nsw

jim_57

Staff member
They are already bleeding from everything that's gone on. The financial dramas we all heard about when the comp stopped haven't gone away - they are still there.

This isn't a season where it's how much money the NRL make/have got - it's a season to prevent as much bleeding as possible so it's not fatal.

I get what you're saying but surely they'd lose more than that if they had to stop the season again or postpone it. I mean it isn't ideal but it has to be better than throwing in the towel.

100% it would be cheaper and easier to relocate all clubs to NSW but there's no point in that if the numbers worsen and the state gov shuts down sport, then they have to relocate 16 teams, and by that point it might be too late and QLD says no

Obviously they have experts looking into it and monitoring the numbers, but the AFL must of gotten wind of something for them to ditch nsw

It is all about border closures and getting across state borders. Also the AFL do have greater financial resources to draw on. As such it would be just as easy, from a financial perspective, for the AFL to move all its teams to Qld as it would to NSW. Then they do not have to worry about border closure issues.

yeah mate.

And without wanting to sound like an arse.. that’s what I mentioned in my original post on this... unless the govt shuts down sport in Sydney then NSW would seem to be the better option - against opinion that QLD would be. But the NRL folk know far better about this than I do, or any of us here on LU.

The difference for the AFL is that all their Victorian sides (About half their teams) are out of state.. so it doesn’t make much difference in cost to host em in NSW or QLD for accom.. but they might save on continual flights around the country by putting them all together up north.

And don’t think it’s also not a strategic move by the AFL on a few accounts... to both try and capitalise on the QLD market (especially while the Qld nrl teams are floundering), to get some street cred back by seeming to be “ahead of the game” when Vlandys has shown them up hand over fist ever since Covid started... And now they’ve got the premier on side entertaining the AFL grand final ... Polly-brownie-points...

I get what you're saying but surely they'd lose more than that if they had to stop the season again or postpone it. I mean it isn't ideal but it has to be better than throwing in the towel.

Vlandys isn’t blinking... they’ll keep it going in Sydney until they get comms from the govt that sport will be shut down.. and he has the govt well and truly onside, he’s in their ears..

So... he’ll keep it going in NSW unless it becomes “illegal”. That may or may not happen, but he isn’t panicking yet and taking on more cost burdens than needed.

jim_57

Staff member
Vlandys isn’t blinking... they’ll keep it going in Sydney until they get comms from the govt that sport will be shut down.. and he has the govt well and truly onside, he’s in their ears..

So... he’ll keep it going in NSW unless it becomes “illegal”. That may or may not happen, but he isn’t panicking yet and taking on more cost burdens than needed.

Yeh that's fair enough, I imagine the NRL would know about any border closures well before the general public. I'm just not sure if Sydney has a breakout that it would be best to keep most of the teams there if borders were to close. I know it's cost effective but it's also far far riskier to the entire comp having to shut down if a few players/staff get it.

Anyway I'm sure the NRL has all the sums done and are ready to react to each possible scenario, well hopefully. Even better, hopefully Sydney gets on top of this quickly and it won't be an issue.

Jamberoo

Juniors
yeah mate.

And without wanting to sound like an arse.. that’s what I mentioned in my original post on this... unless the govt shuts down sport in Sydney then NSW would seem to be the better option - against opinion that QLD would be. But the NRL folk know far better about this than I do, or any of us here on LU.

The difference for the AFL is that all their Victorian sides (About half their teams) are out of state.. so it doesn’t make much difference in cost to host em in NSW or QLD for accom.. but they might save on continual flights around the country by putting them all together up north.

And don’t think it’s also not a strategic move by the AFL on a few accounts... to both try and capitalise on the QLD market (especially while the Qld nrl teams are floundering), to get some street cred back by seeming to be “ahead of the game” when Vlandys has shown them up hand over fist ever since Covid started... And now they’ve got the premier on side entertaining the AFL grand final ... Polly-brownie-points...
AFL still playing Swans and Giants games in Sydney. Also, teams were not happy with the standard of training facilities in Sydney, whereas SEQ has a dozen better ovals.

typicalfan

Coach
yeah mate.

An absolute PR aspect to this no doubt this is bigger than any sport Vlandys is showing faith and loyalty to NSW. No doubt the rep of the premiers will be huge in the aftermath plus Vlandys wants new stadiums in the future.