What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

greenBV4

Bench
Andrew Abdo was on Fox Sports News last night and said the NRL were also looking at the option of moving the Qld based teams to New South Wales. He said they are looking at all options.
That would be ridiculously dumb
Then again Im not sure qld is as immune to a breakout as everyone thinks it is, per capita their numbers werent any better throughout the first wave

I'd be looking at NZ, especailly since the AFL has already jumped the gun and moved to QLD

Then again Im not sure qld is as immune to a breakout as everyone thinks it is, per capita their numbers werent any better throughout the first wave

I'd be looking at NZ, especailly since the AFL has already jumped the gun and moved to QLD

Abdo said from a cost and logistical perspective it would be easier to move the 4 current clubs based in Qld than moving the other 12 clubs to Qld.

However he did say it was only one of the options being looked at as no firm decision has been made as yet and he said the NRL would be guided by the advice of their biosecurity expert as to what they will do.

blaza88z

Coach

Good luck talking the NZ government into that, they've had this pandemic under control right from the get go, I don't think the NRL means that much to them.

Good luck talking the NZ government into that, they've had this pandemic under control right from the get go, I don't think the NRL means that much to them.

Also the costs involved would most likely torpedo it. You'd be paying for accommodation for 16 clubs' players and staff. Then add in you'd have Channel 9 complaining about their extra costs and/or the time issues for scheduling of games (and possibly Fox also).

Then even if it was approved by the NZ Government they'd probably want all incoming NRL players/staff to go into 14 day quarantine as part of any approval.

jim_57

Staff member
An outbreak in NSW was always going to be a make or break moment. I'm hoping V'landys is as much of a visionary as most people seem to think he is. Getting Warriors & Storm to move is one thing but getting 12 teams out of NSW/ACT for potentially 15 weeks will take this to another level.

Regarding NZ it may not be as crazy as it sounds to finish the season there if Australia gets worse. The NZ Government may play hardball but the offer of the NRL Grand Final in Auckland would be a major bargaining tool for the NRL. Sport probably isn't NZ's priority right now though.

All these scenarios should have been examined by the NRL well before now, they should already know what is & isn't possible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We need to just write this season off as an exhibition year, play what we can when we can where we can but reality is the Comp is so comprised that any eventual winner has no real legitimacy.

greenBV4

Bench
We need to just write this season off as an exhibition year, play what we can when we can where we can but reality is the Comp is so comprised that any eventual winner has no real legitimacy.
I think they have gone far enough an clubs have commited themsleves for long enough now that they have to follow through with it

Valheru

Coach

The comp won't stop now.

Biosecurity measures are in place which was the reason they were allowed to restart in the first place.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think they have gone far enough an clubs have commited themsleves for long enough now that they have to follow through with it

not saying it should stop, nrl needs the money, but you have to question the point of it beyond Bringing some money in. In which case just play what they can where they can. Let warriors go home, move clubs to somewhere safe to play it out and put a big line through 2020 premiers title.

greenBV4

Bench
not saying it should stop, nrl needs the money, but you have to question the point of it beyond Bringing some money in. In which case just play what they can where they can. Let warriors go home, move clubs to somewhere safe to play it out and put a big line through 2020 premiers title.
not playing for a title will lead to people not really wanting to watch, and players not really wanting to play, which results in worsened tv product and less people watching

I think the fact they are playing for a title and the nrl needing it to continue for financial reasons go hand in hand

jim_57

Staff member

Doubt any of those 4 will be back with only 9 weeks to go and the 2 week quarantine travelling each way. The Warriors side by round 20 will probably be the weakest NRL 17 ever, that's not a dig at them by any means. They'll probably be most people's 2nd favorite team after all this, hopefully when they get back to NZ they get some huge crowds next year.

betcats

Referee
So what exactly is the go with the bubble atm? I was just sitting next to a few NSW based NRL players in a cafe...I thought that was a no no?

Just for comparison's sake, last night on Fox Sports News during an item on the AFL moving its teams to Queensland for 10 weeks, it was estimated that this will cost the AFL $3 million a week in ongoing costs to do.

T.S Quint

Coach
So what exactly is the go with the bubble atm? I was just sitting next to a few NSW based NRL players in a cafe...I thought that was a no no?

It is a no-no.
Quick, get on the phone to Buzz and let him know the goss.

Unless they are Eels players, then you’re probably imagining it and should leave it alone.

betcats

Referee
It is a no-no.
Quick, get on the phone to Buzz and let him know the goss.

Unless they are Eels players, then you’re probably imagining it and should leave it alone.

Nah wouldnt do that, these particular players have been through enough.

Just for comparison's sake, last night on Fox Sports News during an item on the AFL moving its teams to Queensland for 10 weeks, it was estimated that this will cost the AFL $3 million a week in ongoing costs to do.

Interesting - and I reckon that's why Andrew Abdo had the refence to moving to NSW rather than Qld. He's a finance man. And it's an absolute high-wire balancing act they are walking this season.

Of course - ensuring the players are isolated from risk of Covid is the primary must. The slip-ups last week must be eliminated and bullet-proof procedures be in place and enforced. Given that has (will) happen then....

Relocating 4 further teams to NSW (Cowboys, Broncos, Titans, Storm) under stricter Covid "Bubbles" will cost far less than shifting 12 teams to Qld. The Raiders may stay in the ACT for a NSW comp, but definitely have to relocate for a QLD comp.

It'll come down to..
1 - if the border shuts and
2 - if the comp gets shut down by the NSW govt.

I think 1 is a very likely scenario at some point, but 2 is only a likely scenario if Covid gets far worse in NSW than it did in it's peak back a few months ago.

Regarding crowds... It might also come down to what revenue can be drawn from the gates. If the Border shuts down, will the NSW state govt will allow crowds to continue or not. I think Qld will have the advantage here as bigger crowds will be allowed at Suncorp. But this still wouldn't completely offset the costs or full relocation like the AFL -$3M a week is a far bigger hit to the NRL than AFL. So I don't think this will come into the equation of thinking of QLD vs NSW to host the comp.

Given Vlandys' record throughout the whole season I'm confident that even in the worst of scenarios, he'll have multiple contingencies already in place to keep the comp going, and successfully.

Last edited:

Latest posts