What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

T-Boon

Coach
If people need to talk head over to the cave where the discussion is the viper position. It is very private. Basically 1 on 1.

unforgiven

Bench
Mind if I ask if any of this has been communicated to staff and students yet? Is it a plan from a central authority, or from the school? Because planning at my school is non existent. No excursions cancelled (they will be, no doubt), no assemblies cancelled (again, I'm sure that will happen, though how that will all be communicated without assembly of some sort seems tricky). (No discussion of what will happen if/when school closes, no mention of teacher roles in such a case, no talk about how student learning will continue, especially for our Yr 12 students).

I can't imagine how rolling lunch breaks can be implemented without some significant planning, at least at my school.

I'm getting caught up on the one aspect as it was what the prime minister said. It was a nonsense statement. Kids won't be kept apart from each other and they can't be.

At my school at least, 30 kids will sit in one room for an hour. Plenty of time for one kid to infect every other person in the room, and spread it on every surface. Then those 30 kids will go to 10 other classrooms for another hour, while another 30 come into the room with coronavirus all through it.

Then after doing that for 2 hours, all those kids will mix with nearly 1000 others in the playground. Then squashed back into classrooms for 2 hours, then playground, then another 1 hour lesson. All 1000 people at the school could easily be exposed to one person within 5 hours. If someone at the school is found positive, they could have been infecting every one else in this sort of squashed together environment, for a week.

Viruses aren't super precise, so one person could breathe in another's coughing for a week and not be infected, so I don't expect all exposed people would be infected. There is also some discussion that kids don't get infected or carry it, but I've seen doctors talking about kids killed by it, so I'm not sure it is true.

But the dream of social distancing in a school is a farce. One person in a school could easily be a super spreader. And well over half the teaching staff in my school, and I'm sure in plenty of others, are in their 50s and 60s. Not to mention those going through chemo, or with partners going through such things, and those with elderly parents that rely on them heavily.

An Italy style disaster could kill one or two of the staff, on probabilities, and several more of our elderly relatives.

The prevention of circulating through the wider community is just not true. It is not true from the best epidemiological models, and it has not been true in the 60 countries that have closed schools already.

Even if every kid congregated at the mall, which is unlikely, they wouldn't be forced to sit 50 cm from each other for hours. But most of them would be supervised by parents at home, doing studies, hopefully (I know it won't happen for plenty as well).

I agree that closing schools will place a fair strain on the community, and of most concern, on essential services workers. I also don't think schools can be closed tomorrow, as a matter of practicality (as I said, my school is not at all prepared for that).

But the PM was talking out his arse about social distancing at schools, and about closing them increasing infections. And he will have to eat his words too, in a week or two (not that any politician would outright say they are wrong, he'll say something like "It is a fluid situation, and now the best advice is to close schools" without at all acknowledging that he said it would not help, and without admitting that it has to be done because you can't do social distancing at schools and so closing schools will lower the rate of infection. But that is why he will be offering a different view, because the one he offered today is stupid).
Sorry for the slow response mate, I am in a primary school so we don't have the problem with kids changing classes throughout the day. We have communicated our plans with the families at our school, the rolling lunch breaks have been easy for us to implement, we have each stage take a 30 min break starting at 10.30 and then a 2nd 30 min break starting at 12.30.

In all this you are getting caught up on one aspect of social distancing.
Social distancing in schools
To reduce the spread of germs in schools1:

· If your child is sick, do not send them to school (or childcare)

· Sanitise hands when entering school and at regular intervals

· Defer activities that lead to mixing between classes and years

· Avoid queuing and consider cancelling school assemblies

· Promote a regular handwashing schedule

· Clean and disinfect high touch surfaces regularly

· Conduct lessons outdoors where possible

· Consider opening windows and adjusting conditioning for more ventilation

· Promote strictest hygiene among food preparation (canteen) staff and their close contacts

franklin2323

Immortal
No. Not everyone needs to be hospitalised with COVID-19. But you're comparing it to the flu which has an dramatically lower rate of hospitalisation and mortality.

There is two ways to deal with this:
  • Do nothing. The outbreak will spread faster, and the end will be quicker as most will build immunity. However, during this time the mortality rate for COVID-19 and every other illness will increase due to a failing health system. This has been experienced in Italy, and China.
  • Put controls in place to reduce the rate of spread, but the outbreak will last longer. This will allow the health system to cope, save lives, and potentially allow time for a vaccine to minimise risk of infection or reduce severity for those who have not contracted COVID-19.
This is not the flu. It is more severe than the flu. To suggest otherwise is either ignorance or wilfully deceptive.

There will be significant impact on society - the medical community is leaning to save lives. You're suggesting to save the economy. One can definitely survive and recover.

I used the flu and cancer as my examples because both are constant and both get a higher number of the total population and we don't put it all on hold for months to take the strain off the health system.

blue bags

First Grade
Sorry for the slow response mate, I am in a primary school so we don't have the problem with kids changing classes throughout the day. We have communicated our plans with the families at our school, the rolling lunch breaks have been easy for us to implement, we have each stage take a 30 min break starting at 10.30 and then a 2nd 30 min break starting at 12.30.

In all this you are getting caught up on one aspect of social distancing.
Social distancing in schools
To reduce the spread of germs in schools1:

· If your child is sick, do not send them to school (or childcare)

· Sanitise hands when entering school and at regular intervals

· Defer activities that lead to mixing between classes and years

· Avoid queuing and consider cancelling school assemblies

· Promote a regular handwashing schedule

· Clean and disinfect high touch surfaces regularly

· Conduct lessons outdoors where possible

· Consider opening windows and adjusting conditioning for more ventilation

· Promote strictest hygiene among food preparation (canteen) staff and their close contacts
and not have bulldogs anywhere near the school

Frailty

First Grade
I used the flu and cancer as my examples because both are constant and both get a higher number of the total population and we don't put it all on hold for months to take the strain off the health system.

Because it doesn't have the same strain on the health system!

It is not about the total number but the total number in one period of time.

A hospital could have capacity for 400 beds a night - it doesn't mean they can only deal with 400 people a year. They could effectively assist 146,000 patients over the night each year (for simplicity sake I've made it one patient per night). Do you think a hospital this size could handle 1200 at any one time?

Cancer and the Flu have appropriate measures in place that ensure that the number of patients at any one time are below the threshold. If they didn't work - guess what would happen.

greenBV4

Bench
Imagine the cost of SEVEN new franchises starting up all at once, most of them in locations that have failed previously, when the parent body is already insolvent.
it was a hypothetical "doomsday" question, starting from an empty canvas, so to be accurate it would be EIGHTEEN new clubs - external factors disregarded and based purely on geography that was what iI thought was an ideal spread

Quicksilver

Bench
it was a hypothetical "doomsday" question, starting from an empty canvas, so to be accurate it would be EIGHTEEN new clubs - external factors disregarded and based purely on geography that was what iI thought was an ideal spread

That's a really interesting topic for discussion, and one that has probably never been brought up on this site before.

franklin2323

Immortal
Because it doesn't have the same strain on the health system!

It is not about the total number but the total number in one period of time.

A hospital could have capacity for 400 beds a night - it doesn't mean they can only deal with 400 people a year. They could effectively assist 146,000 patients over the night each year (for simplicity sake I've made it one patient per night). Do you think a hospital this size could handle 1200 at any one time?

Cancer and the Flu have appropriate measures in place that ensure that the number of patients at any one time are below the threshold. If they didn't work - guess what would happen.

I guess won’t need to worry this year. We will be on house arrests for months

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Those figure of 0.2 to 1% are what the world health organizations are saying. Do a quick google search and you'll find plenty of articles. TIP make sure you set your Google search tools for 'last 24hours' for the latest info.

If you're getting your info off a site that's easily hacked it's about as reliable as Wikipedia - laughable

Lots of people are going to die but your source isn't perfect for this reason

Consider a person gets the rona there are two outcomes. They die or get better

If they are going to die it will happen a lot faster than they will be cleared. This is boosting the pure raw numbers of deaths for closes cases at the moment.

If we look at south Korea which has done the most testing we currently have for closed cases

1137 released and 75 deaths. That's 6 % oh noes

But if we look at active cases they currently have 6965 with mild symptoms and 59 as serious or critical. That's 0.84% and not 100 percent of those will die either.

What we must avoid is the healthcare system getting overloaded. That is the most important thing

Edit quoted the wrong person lol. I was supposed to be quoting the post that this is replying to

The Marshall

Juniors
NRL’s radical loan plan to keep New Zealand Warriors in the 2020 season

The NRL is planning a radical solution of allowing the Warriors to loan players from rival clubs in a bid to ensure eight matches are played every weekend.

While the Warriors have committed to staying in Australia to play the Raiders on the Gold Coast on Saturday they have not given any long-term reassurances beyond this week.

The Daily Telegraph has learnt one of the drastic measures to keep the competition going includes forming a makeshift Warriors side made up of potential discards and veteran players at other clubs. It shows how desperate the game is to fulfil his broadcast commitments.

The team could potentially be mixed with those current Warriors who wish to stay in Australia and play out the rest of the season and others who cannot get a crack with their current side. Calls to rival clubs and player managers have begun. While the plan is yet to be finalised, the Warriors would naturally be given large salary cap dispensations.

A host of established first-graders featured in the respective state-based reserve grade competitions last weekend. The likes of Bryson Goodwin, Euan Aitken, Billy Magoulias, Jayson Bukuya, Tautau Moga, Daniel Alvaro, and Mason Lino could easily feature. They could also consider calling up players without NRL contracts including Michael Lichaa, Kyle Turner, Josh Hoffman, Ata Hingano, Lloyd Perrett and Patrick Kaufisi.

The team could opt for a number of budding first grade stars in a bid to expose them to the top grade such as Adam Clune, Jayden Sullivan, Tex Hoy or Stefano Utoikamanu.

NRL boss Todd Greenberg said they could not force any player to remain in Australia. He will again meet with Warriors players and officials following their match against the Raiders.

“They have given us an undertaking that they will get through round two and then my discussion with them is we will sit down with the players and management and assess that,” Greenberg said. “It’s possible for us to continue the competition if the Warriors want to go home. We want all 16 clubs being part of the competition. That step is a scenario and we will only get to after this weekend.

“(If the Warriors go home) we will be playing with 15 clubs not 16.

“We’re not putting pressure on people. We are trying to look at it in the context of the whole competition.”

The Warriors have based themselves in Kingscliff this week with travel restrictions keeping them in Australia if they want to play on. They must self-isolate for 14 days as soon as they return to Auckland, ending any chance of matches being played for at least two weeks.

Outside backs Pat Herbert and Peta Hiku have already returned home giving Warriors coach Stephen Kearney 24 players to pick from ahead of a match against last season’s grand finalists. Taane Milne would have come into calculations to replace either Herbert or Hiku but his season is over after he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in the Canterbury Cup last week.

“Having Pet and Pat go home has put a bit of pressure on from that sense but we’re talking with the NRL at the moment,” Kearney said. “We’ve got enough guys here at the moment to cope with that.

“I’m picking that things will resolve itself over the next little bit.”

POSSIBLE MAKE-SHIFT TEAM

Corey Allan, George Jennings, Euan Aitken, Tautau Moga, Bryson Goodwin, Jake Clifford, Sam Williams, Daniel Alvaro, Harry Grant, Sauaso Sue, Chris McQueen, Matt Eisenhuth, Billy Magoulias. Interchange: Mason Lino, David Gower, Stefano Utoikamanu, Jayson Bukuya.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/0a9c6666276df46a6306e611f988c03e

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah sorry I left a zero off
326,000 was last year

Here is something interesting

Large flu studies where a big group of people are followed around and tested for the flu show it's way more common and mild than people think.

Like 70% of people with the flu either show no symptoms at all or very mild cold like symptoms

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...dont-have-symptoms-you-may-still-have-the-flu

Here is an example of one such study

So it's probably closer to a million a year at a minimum get infected with influenza if your numbers are right for what was reported.

People only get tested if it's a flu that's kicking their arse

blue bags

First Grade
Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
the first known patient was mid November and by 20 January Wuhan had 282 positives and by this time I bet nobody in Wuhan was even thinking about it. So by the time it got to 282 positives it was a high chance that a heap of other people had it.

By contrast, by the time it got to 282 here we were totally all over it. Where it would come from etc.

So it isn't going to get that bad.

Study: Boon Health Organisation (BHO).