What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Spanner in the works

First Grade
No other states take them, can't play with crowds, then which clubs fold? No different to any other business and I'm afraid they aren't a bank that's 'too big to fail', so highly doubtfil there'll be government support to bail them out.

Which clubs are broke?

Munted

Bench
A polite message to NRL players from the entirety of QLD:

giphy.gif
f**k you man. You had the entire origin series up there.
This is our way of stinking your state up.

I am not sure this announcement makes a massive difference to the warriors. The bubble has been closed with NSW for a while now (which is where they were based) and all it means is they will have to quarantine for 2 weeks once they return after the season.

Cheers Val. Yep 2 weeks now.... but if things got worse over here as the comp rolls on could it be longer than 2 weeks by that time.... a full ban on entry would be only in extreme circumstances. But it could be compromised if there's a queue to get back in, and the Warriors aren't sure when their season might end (possible finals etc).... they might be at the back of that queue.

One thing Vlandys is great at is negotiation with government departments - so I'd trust he'd have this already mapped out. But if players continue misbehaving that could undo everything.

The situation here is no more dire than the UK.

Much more manageable here.

Indeed. Amongst many things - we are a much more vast country with much smaller population. But they are getting on with it... and still managing sporting events in bubbles such as the Test Championship, Euros, Wimbledon etc completely fine...

Maybe Vlandys trusts the UK Biosecurity protocols but doesn't trust our players to abide by them...

Dugtrio

Juniors
I blame the lack of leadership from V Landys. NRL head office need to get on the front foot here before the season and all their glorious $$$$$ goes down the toilet.

Where are you Peter V? We need you and your delicate tones, more than ever, right now in our hour of need.
A damning part of the article is that the nrl were aware. I hope they told the governments when they became aware and not wait until after it came out externally.

johns_reds

First Grade
I know Jai Arrow got two weeks as well but we're now at a stage were unpaid season bans need to be considered for future infractions.
To be fair, this guy did it before game one and two, he did it before Jai so didn’t know the punishment yet.

He only stopped the third when Jai got caught

I’m my opinion he should cop a 70k fine for doing it two seperate times, Jai’s was only once and same punishment

souths_reborn

Juniors
Indeed. Amongst many things - we are a much more vast country with much smaller population. But they are getting on with it... and still managing sporting events in bubbles such as the Test Championship, Euros, Wimbledon etc completely fine...

Maybe Vlandys trusts the UK Biosecurity protocols but doesn't trust our players to abide by them...
What you have to remember is that the UK have had an actual plan in place with their vaccine rollout etc, which they have executed. As a result, they are in a position to open up again. Furthermore, it just seems that the UK government doesn't resort to scare tactics as much as the Australian does.

On the contrary, ever since we began opening up again last year, our government has done bugger all in terms of implementing covid management strategies despite having a golden opportunity to improve measures. I mean we are in our second lockdown and we are still unable to define something as simple as what essential services are. Hence, if the UK are "getting on with it" it is because they are far more organised than the shambles that is the Australian Government.

jargan83

Coach

The NRL having to pause because a group of player did the wrong thing would be peak Rugby League.

The bubble situation isn't new to these players yet they continue to push the boundaries and put their very income at risk while the City and parts of the state most of them come from are locked down and a lot of people with normal jobs can't work.

Latest posts