What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could it happen again?

Ben Walker, he's gone from Souths in '07, is he signed with anyone else yet ? He's no legend, but him and Perry as our #7s for next year, better than MIA Seymour.

As for this year, hell play Bott at #7, I don't care at this point, anyone but Buster.

Leagueguy

Juniors
I think Berrigan actually played his best football at halfback but I wouldn't move him back there. He was more involved when he played there and seemed to be very penetrating. However I don't think he's a great organizer and he doesn't quite have the skills.

salivor

First Grade
Leagueguy said:
I think Berrigan actually played his best football at halfback but I wouldn't move him back there. He was more involved when he played there and seemed to be very penetrating. However I don't think he's a great organizer and he doesn't quite have the skills.

He was devastating when he ran the ball while at halfback, that's why he would be great coming off the bench next year into dummy half in a Craig Wing type role as he could really cause havoc. As you say though his organisational and passing skills aren't the best.

Rastus_in_Melbourne said:
Ben Walker, he's gone from Souths in '07, is he signed with anyone else yet ? He's no legend, but him and Perry as our #7s for next year, better than MIA Seymour.

As for this year, hell play Bott at #7, I don't care at this point, anyone but Buster.

Same argument went for Locky and his fascination with signing Witt, you can sign all the average halves in the world (which is what Ben Walker is) but you need 1 good one to win a premiership. Also, the Sharks may have a problem with us playing Bott at halfback ;-).

I know we're never going to get every latest rising star coming out of Queensland but you only have to look around at the other clubs and ask the question why haven't Brisbane brought through a good halfback since Allan Langer? How have we missed out on the Cooper Cronks, Tim Smiths and Jonathan Thurstons of the league?

parra pete

Referee
Ob la di ob la da...Post Webcke...
It's a worry for the Bronco's though, He is just the BEST player..and irreplaceable for toughness, durability, discipline and love of the game and your Club.

salivor said:
Same argument went for Locky and his fascination with signing Witt, you can sign all the average halves in the world (which is what Ben Walker is) but you need 1 good one to win a premiership. Also, the Sharks may have a problem with us playing Bott at halfback ;-).

I know we're never going to get every latest rising star coming out of Queensland but you only have to look around at the other clubs and ask the question why haven't Brisbane brought through a good halfback since Allan Langer? How have we missed out on the Cooper Cronks, Tim Smiths and Jonathan Thurstons of the league?

There isn't a good halfback out there for '07. So what you're basically saying is we proceed with Perry and Seymour. Maybe fair enough, we get a conclusion once and for all on Seymour. If he continues to under perform next year then cut him and go to market on a #7.

That I can live with, just as long as we have a plan and progress.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Berro may not be an organiser but he has some spark in attack. Sure he hasnt passed the ball in the last 3 years but timmins played for australia at 5/8 and he's never passed the ball...

what we wont see this year but I'd like to see is Hunt at 7. Boyd has shown enough to suggest he'll be a good fullback

parra pete I ahve no idea your constant fascination with brisbane not buying someone to replace webcke. unlike parra, brisbane have developed their players.

I could drone on about you needing to replace morris..oh wait you have :lol: :lol:

parra pete

Referee
Pierced Soul said:
Berro may not be an organiser but he has some spark in attack. Sure he hasnt passed the ball in the last 3 years but timmins played for australia at 5/8 and he's never passed the ball...

what we wont see this year but I'd like to see is Hunt at 7. Boyd has shown enough to suggest he'll be a good fullback

parra pete I ahve no idea your constant fascination with brisbane not buying someone to replace webcke. unlike parra, brisbane have developed their players.

I could drone on about you needing to replace morris..oh wait you have :lol: :lol:

salivor

First Grade
Rastus_in_Melbourne said:
There isn't a good halfback out there for '07. So what you're basically saying is we proceed with Perry and Seymour. Maybe fair enough, we get a conclusion once and for all on Seymour. If he continues to under perform next year then cut him and go to market on a #7.

That I can live with, just as long as we have a plan and progress.

Well there was in Matthew Head but we didn't even make a bid for him. Hell I would've even have liked the club to go for a guy like John Morris who I think while not being great (certianly on the next level though to the likes of Witt, Walker, Perry and Seymour) would've made a great foil for Lockyer. It was quite clear from the outset though that we weren't in the market for anyone let alone a halfback which really does make you question just where the clubs mindset is at.

But your right, we have no choice now but to go for Seymour and Perry for 2007, Ben Walker would contribute nothing to the club or any of the other rag tag players left on the market now. I'd be tempted to cut Seymour but with McGuire gone we'd be taking a bit of a gamble on depth of players that can cover halfback.

Ultimately though if we can't develop a halfback and we're not prepared to go for one on the open market then the only option if we're a hope to ever win a comp is to move Hunt there.

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
#7 is definitely a problem, but I think that with what there is available, Hunt has been doing the organisational role at fullback, so possibly Berrigan could provide an option next year at half back (lol). I seriously can't believe I am saying that because he is a terrible ball player, but the fact is he has played some half back before, he is a very good runner and it could be advantageous for us. I will use the Dragons as an example:

Gasnier has moved to the number 6 (these days there isn't much difference between a 6 and 7 anymore), and Gasnier obviously isnt there for his great kicking game or ball playing skills, it is for his running game. Berrigan could possibly play that role, and he could cut sides up the middle when the tire. Only a suggestion though based on what is in front of us. Perry is sold, though he will never develop much more than he has by now.

On the other hand, I don't know if any of you rate Brent McConnell (NTH QLD, Young Guns), but there is a possibility that he could be heading south next season, either to Brisbane or the Gold Coast. I think he would be a great inclusion at the Broncos.

salivor

First Grade
The thing is that I think a ball runner is the last thing that Lockyer needs. Hunt just doesn't get inovlved enough from fullback and is really only working off Lockyer currently, we need to bring him up to the front line and in the middle rather than him just playing out on the fringes if we're not prepared to buy a halfback.

Lockyer is struggling because he needs a player at halfback that can do some basic playmaking in directing the side around and take on the bulk of the kicking game. That way he doesn't have to get into first reciever 80% of the time and can be more selective in his involvement. A ball runner at halfback like Berrigan is only going to force him to increase his involvement.

Ghoulies

Bench
On the other hand, I don't know if any of you rate Brent McConnell (NTH QLD, Young Guns), but there is a possibility that he could be heading south next season, either to Brisbane or the Gold Coast. I think he would be a great inclusion at the Broncos.
We signed him today (source: Broncos press release seen at BHQ).

Good signing, IMO. Brent has been the standout halfback at QCup level for a few years now and I'm quite suprised he hasn't seen more top grade football.

Big Pete

Referee
That's quite a good signing...I didn't think of it but yeah that's a good signing.

Good work Broncos!

Ponkers

Juniors
Well it is good to see Brisbane bringing through a new halfback instead of waiting on Seymour. It's been said many times, but it is just so hard to win without a decent #7.

I see we kept Joel Moon too, 2 year deal. I know nothing about Moon's performances except Melbourne have been dead keen on giving him the #6 next year.

Have you guys seen Moon ? Even though he's a 5/8, could he be a #7 and the answer ?

Big Pete

Referee
Joel Moon goes alright. He was solid against the Sharks and in the QLD Cup match I watched him in he seemed to have a decent pass and decent strength. However I havn't seen that much of him.

Leagueguy

Juniors
I would say Joel Moon is too big to be a halfback. Although he might not be any bigger than Trent Barrett, who was quite successful in that postion.

Latest posts