What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could the storm ever recover if they lose again?

Bezant

Juniors
Much has been made by the media about the Storm having to win this Grand Final because they could not recover if they lost the big one again. I guess the media has to sensationalise anything they can to sell papers in the lead up to a Grand Final between an out of team town and Sydney's most hated club, but does this claim have any credibility?

I think not. The reasons for my confidence are twofold.

Firstly, Manly in the 1980's where beaten in two GF's and then came back a few years later to win one, so its been done before.

Secondly, and most importantly, time is on the Storm's side. Most of the Storm's players are still quite young. Only 1 player in the Storm's talent laden backline is older than 25, Matt King, and he is leaving soon to be replaced by the promising Will Chambers. In the forwards only 1 player is older than 26 (Ben Cross) and he is leaving to be replaced by either a fit Kaufusi or an improving Adam Blair. Sure the bench is aging with Jeremy Smith and Michael Crocker the ripe old age of 27 :sarcasm: . No doubt Matt Geyer is old (for a league player that is) but he has only 1 more year left. We also have the promising Kevin Proctor coming through the ranks.

Yes the salary cap is an issue but if we let go of the older blokes and develop the younger ones would could hold onto most of the core group.

Yes, no doubt another loss on sunday would be terrible result. One that I don't really want to think about.

However I am confident about two things. First, that we will win on Sunday. Second, that whatever the result we will competitive enough to win a premiership over the next few years, baring serious injuries. With a young side growing up together full of talent the future for Rugby League in Melbourne is looking very sunny.

GO STORM!

What are your thoughts? Could the Storm recover or is it the end of the line if they lose on Sunday?

ocko

juniors
it'd be quite embarrassing if they lost, and could well be the end of the line in this fast-moving age of sport, where a chance for success is often only fleeting

Pierced Soul

First Grade
it'd be pretty difficult for them to recover and if they lost they'd prob come back to the field a lot next year. the fact is they've lost hardly any games in the past two years and if they lose two gfs in a row they're gonna start doubting their ability to get over the line

in saying that bellamy has got them firing more effectively this year and he seems to have the ability to get the players motivated and performing well so who knows. I guess there's not much point speculating any further until late sunday night

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
The Dragons were beaten in 2 successive GF's in the early 90's and have since proven to be found wanting in the big matches.

Collingwood still haven't been able regain their big match composure after being beaten in successive GF's by Brisbane.

I'm not saying that the Storm are definitely going to follow this trend, but there are more statistics to support it than to disprove. If you can't win the only game that really counts, you might as well not play.

Frederick

Staff member
gurl_child said:
I'm more concered over the Knights recovering. The have had a terrible year.
And that has what to do with the Storm and this thread? :?

Frederick

Staff member
gurl_child said:
One track mind, eh?
What the f**k are you on about? The Knights are going to be fine next year. If the Storm lose again on Sunday, there's no knowing how they'll recover from it. They lost last year, and you could see it deeply affected them, and they obviously resolved to not make the same mistake again this year. They've been the best team two years in a row now, but if they lose a second successive Grand Final, you know that'll be right in the minds of the players when they return next year and you gotta wonder whether they can keep performing at the level they have been

They were absolutely stiffed last year and didn't get one 50/50 call
Surely any objective fan can see that they have been the best side in the comp over the last 2 years ... by a mile
They deserve the comp and will win it
This will also ensure the Tigers are still the Sydney reigning Premiers

Mr Saab

Referee
gurl_child said:
I can read as well as you can count:

That's two questions

Sorry, i didnt include an "s" at the end. Take it back to the Matt Johns thread miss princess.

Garts

Bench
themanonthehill said:
They were absolutely stiffed last year and didn't get one 50/50 call
Surely any objective fan can see that they have been the best side in the comp over the last 2 years ... by a mile
They deserve the comp and will win it
This will also ensure the Tigers are still the Sydney reigning Premiers

Too bad they can not even make the 8 :lol:

Can the storm recover if they lose Sunday? Yes, they are not losing many players. They will back up and be in the top 3 sides next season win or lose Sunday.

bula_stormer

Juniors
These Storm players play pretty well but thats as part of the team. I dont think they'd be playing as well in a different side. For example Cronk suits the Storm but i find it hard seeing him part of another backline.

Shorty

Staff member
Physically speaking,no they should be fine and go on to next year but mentally might be a different story.

Frederick

Staff member
[furrycat] said:
I think Newcastle are pooooooooooooooo
Yeah but your opinion doesn't count cause you're obviously incredibly biased against the Knights :)