What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Courier Mail-Fight Back

Joker's Wild

Coach
that's right brad. Only english sports in this state thanks. God save the queen and all that

This is the quote that makes me lol the most

AFL fans are always rolling out the "Un-australian" line when you say you dont like fumble ball. I actually had one bloke tell me its based on an Aboriginal game and when I mentioned Gaelic football he said that that was based on AFL and not the other way around :lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
They do like to trot the national code line out, on Sky news sportsline this morning they were discussing the betting scandal in AFL and finished with something like " Australia's national game needs to ensure it is above reproach". I guess if they say it enough people might actually believe it!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
f**king whinging Victorians, if you want to watch the Victorian game stop being a tightarse and get Fox. Even better move back to Victoriania.

RL1908

Bench
They do like to trot the national code line out, on Sky news sportsline this morning they were discussing the betting scandal in AFL and finished with something like " Australia's national game needs to ensure it is above reproach". I guess if they say it enough people might actually believe it!

Australia's national game is played using a bat.

RL1908

Bench
No is not becasue cricket come from england!

Huh? What's where it came from got to do with it?

Cricket is our national game. Australian rules is a Victorian-born game, later became the dominant code in SA, WA & Tasmania.

Modern football first came to the Australian colonies from England in 1859 via the first Melb FC rules - they are barely distinguishable from Sheffield FC rules adopted at the same time, and in simple terms, Melb rules was born as an emasculated and simplified form of mid 1850s rugby.

Won't quibble with anyone saying Melbourne rules has since evolved into a uniquely Australian code, but it was not born one.

Bruce Manifold

Juniors
The whole point of the original poster is that the courier mail (supposedly a queensalnd paper) Is giving aussie rules equal billing as the NRL.
Now the problem is simple.
Fact
1. Rugby League is the national sport of Queensland (Yes QLD is a Country)
2. So many Victorians have moved up here in the last few years that the roads are a mess as they have brought their driving techniques up wtih them. And as is the mindset of most voctorians..Lets make the world Victoria (Like Poms ) Its funny its called aussie rules but its really victorian rules your right....

3. To solve problem 1 and fact 2 ..just loutlaw all victorians from living here if the wont follow our game.

My area has a new school..my son 4 is going there next year on the oval are those 4 silly white posts ..no league and no soccer. And yes the principal and phys ed dept are victorians..

dear lord please help us of this infestation.

Brucie

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Bruce, as a parent you should locate like minded parents who wish to play league at your son's school and ensure it is on the school's sport list. Thus the principal can't retort there is no interest. Also ensure the ARL development have access.

If a new school starts off with AFL only then very quickly the school"s history will become entwined with that code and very dificult to break.

If there are problems go to the dept education and say there is discrimination based on key school personel being ex Victorians.

Lots of new private schools that have cropped up in the last few years here in Brisbane's South are offering AFL, union & soccer but no league despite many kids following our code.

It takes a few brave parents to stand up.

gUt

Coach
Huh? What's where it came from got to do with it?

Cricket is our national game. Australian rules is a Victorian-born game, later became the dominant code in SA, WA & Tasmania.

Modern football first came to the Australian colonies from England in 1859 via the first Melb FC rules - they are barely distinguishable from Sheffield FC rules adopted at the same time, and in simple terms, Melb rules was born as an emasculated and simplified form of mid 1850s rugby.

Won't quibble with anyone saying Melbourne rules has since evolved into a uniquely Australian code, but it was not born one.

I was trying to be ironic. :sarcasm:

LeagueXIII

First Grade

It's the same with union and their global rant. Yet these two codes always belittle RL in terms of it's spread. These perceptions have become reality.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Bruce, as a parent you should locate like minded parents who wish to play league at your son's school and ensure it is on the school's sport list. Thus the principal can't retort there is no interest. Also ensure the ARL development have access.

If a new school starts off with AFL only then very quickly the school"s history will become entwined with that code and very dificult to break.

If there are problems go to the dept education and say there is discrimination based on key school personel being ex Victorians.

Lots of new private schools that have cropped up in the last few years here in Brisbane's South are offering AFL, union & soccer but no league despite many kids following our code.

It takes a few brave parents to stand up.

This is where our administrators need to ensure/lobby that our game is played in schools particularly in NSW and QLD as it is crazy that the most popular sport in these states is not offered to kids.

imasharkie

Coach
What annoys me about the Courier Mail is they give the same space for a Fremantle v Nth Melbourne write up as they would for a Cowboys match...and we all know what the readers would care more about.

If ever there was a paper that gives a code a leg up it's the CM and AFL. There is no way it should be getting evena third of the coverage of RL.

If only highly-regarded QLD Cup state league comp could attract 2 percent of the coverage AFL gets in that paper.

Good post. Four pages devoted to AFL (the same as league) on a non-Lions' weekend is an absolute disgrace. Is Steve Ricketts the only born and bred Brisbane person left in the sports section of that paper?

I was in Adelaide recently and purchased the Fridays paper. About 25 pages of AFL and 1 small article on NRL.
Might be a good idea to send the Victorian Courier Mail man to their Adelaide office.
Now I know why I stopped buying the Courier Mail.

Brutus

Referee
Please give us an update on how the Courier Mail reports on the NRL & AFL GF's this week.

No doubt the Victorian Sports editor will be jizzing over the two Vic teams in the flogball decider.

Latest posts