What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys fight club

skeepe

Immortal
Cowboys deny players' punch-up
WAYNE HEMING

October 14, 2009 - 5:09PM

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/cowboys-deny-players-punchup-20091014-gx75.html
North Queensland Cowboys boss Peter Parr has denied reports the club's rookie of the year Steve Rapira had his jaw broken by a teammate during Mad Monday shenanigans last month.

A disappointed Parr confirmed Rapira and his flatmate and friend James Tamou had come to blows but denied Rapira's jaw had been broken or that the disagreement happened on Mad Monday after the Cowboys final game of the season against the Roosters.

"It was a disagreement between two best friends, how long has that being going?," said Parr when asked about the report in the latest issue of Rugby League Week.

"It wasn't serious. The coach knew about it, I informed our chairman and I talked to the two players concerned and neither wanted it to go any further.

"It didn't happen in public, it happened at their flat after they'd been out and I didn't think it was all that serious.

"We only knew about it because he turned up for training the next day sporting a shiner."

The club sent Rapira, a former junior Kiwi and brother of Warriors forward Sam, for an x-ray as a precaution.

"Altercations between brothers and best mates have been going on for a long time.

"They're still living together and still great mates.

"As if we would cover up a teammate breaking another player's jaw.

"To think you can cover things up these days is absolutely ridiculous.

"If I thought it was serious we would have acted on it."

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley contacted Parr on Wednesday about the report and was satisfied with his explanation.

"The two players were out privately not in a group," said Annesley.

"They've settled it between themselves, they're still living together and still best mates and the Cowboys didn't consider it to be a major incident.

"There was no cover-up, they just felt it was settled between the two individuals and we are happy to accept that."

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/cowboys-deny-players-punchup-20091014-gx75.html

It seems the more things change, the more they stay the same. Disharmony at the Cowboys is as certain as the leaves turning brown in autumn.

Such a shame because if the Cowboys could get over their off-field issues, they'd be a fantastic team to watch.

Bench
I can hear the noise of the bookies winding out the odds of Thursty staying as I read the article.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If it happened in their flat and was between the pair, and neither wish it to go further, then why is it news?

Greenbits

Juniors
It seems the more things change, the more they stay the same. Disharmony at the Cowboys is as certain as the leaves turning brown in autumn.

Such a shame because if the Cowboys could get over their off-field issues, they'd be a fantastic team to watch.

Too much rum up in those parts

Charlie124

First Grade
phew! for a moment there i thought something bad might have actually happened.

FFS they're still best mates and still living together.

Can some of the Cowboys fans give an insight into how Neil Henry is going up there? At Canberra, there were rumours of ongoing tensions between players and coach when he was here but there's no doubt the Raiders were playing some of their best football ever towards the end of his last season here.

Raider_69

Post Whore
nothing in this, me and my best match have knocked each other senseless at times.
Such is life

But i do think there are massive problems up north. The inmates run the asylum up there. Parr needs to get a handle on the club

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Can some of the Cowboys fans give an insight into how Neil Henry is going up there? At Canberra, there were rumours of ongoing tensions between players and coach when he was here but there's no doubt the Raiders were playing some of their best football ever towards the end of his last season here.
sh*thouse

They went 1-7 trying to make the playoffs. Herny is an impostor. As Elliot before him. Perhaps Canberra ain't that bad after all.

Charlie124

First Grade

Ive been happy with him so far, he's really been here for years anyway as an assistant to Muzz. All you have to look at is how much our defense improved from last year and how much better we played as a team once he took the leash off Thurston. Theres not much you can do about major injuries thoughout the season though.

Edit: Obviously there was a form slump as well, not blaming everything on injuries.

Red Bear

Referee
Too much player power up there eg getting murray sacked etc.

Thurston might be a top player but he doesnt sound like the greatest of guys to have around a team

Charlie124

First Grade
Too much player power up there eg getting murray sacked etc.

Thurston might be a top player but he doesnt sound like the greatest of guys to have around a team

What the f**k does Thurston have to do with two other team mates getting in a scuffle at their home? How does any of this story relate to "player power" and how Murray was sacked? :crazy:

Latest posts