What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys recrutiment

some11

Referee
And the Eels missed out on Lockyer.

I thought we had one of these threads a few years ago.

Knightmare

Coach
Thaiday- he was a known thug when he was a kid and the club didn't want to deal with that shit. He was a gun but was in fights constantly.

That couldn't be Sammy Thaiday- have you seen how funny he is on TV? It's not his go.

Stop being a hater!

davi

Juniors
Slater- he was a small kid that had to make a living by moving and riding horses in Brisbane for Gai waterhouse, he was also right under Brisbanes nose so throw some shit your idiot clubs way for not identifying his talents as well.

Wayne Bennett tried to sign Slater before he played NRL. But the Storm had him at the feeder club so I'd rate that one a semi-miss. Read the article and decide for yourself.

HOW BENNY MISSED BILLY

Billy Slater makes a long-awaited return for the Storm against Brisbane tonight.

But 15 years ago, Wayne Bennett made a play to get the brilliant fullback to Red Hill, dispelling the long held line that the Broncos simply missed Slater when he was coming through the grades in their own backyard.

Speaking to The Courier-Mail’s Peter Badel, Bennett has revealed how he tried to poach Slater in 2002, well before one of the most decorated careers of the modern era had taken off.

“(Bennett) in fact tried to chase Billy Slater as a 19-year-old in the Queensland Cup with the Norths Devils,” Badel told NRL Tonight.

“He met with Billy Slater, he was on $5000 at the time with the Storm, he was coming off-contract, and Billy can you believe as a 19-year-old had the gumption to say no to Wayne Bennett who was the Supercoach of course.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...h/news-story/13eae69e2a2cc55b96fcdce653a3a106

butchmcdick

Immortal
Brisbane didn't 'miss' Cam Smith, Wayne Bennett tried to sign him but Smith thought he would have a better chance of cracking the starting side as hooker in Melbourne which is why he chose the Storm.

You didn't sign him did you ?

Dave Taylor had a cowboys scholarship in high school but he picked the broncos

As I said you can't sign them all

Vee

First Grade
Thaiday- he was a known thug when he was a kid and the club didn't want to deal with that shit. He was a gun but was in fights constantly.

Slater- he was a small kid that had to make a living by moving and riding horses in Brisbane for Gai waterhouse, he was also right under Brisbanes nose so throw some shit your idiot clubs way for not identifying his talents as well.

Barba- Like Thaiday, his/his families reputation precedes him, I heard stories that the club didn't want to put up with his off field shit either. Proved to be right 100% yeah?

Hodges-signed in 98-99 for Brisbane, do you need a history lesson on how f**king dysfunctional the cowboys were at the time? FMD, I wouldn't have let my kid play there at the time. Is kinda ironic though that his last year as captain of brisbane, loses to NQ in the GF?

Dave Taylor- FMD, really?

There's actually a heap of other players you could have used as examples such as Valentine Holmes, Aidan Guerra (his form not exactly awesome at the moment), DCE, Hoffman but hey, I'm actually highly surprised you didn't just bump up an obscure thread from yester year that has some half assed irrelevant topic.

We could always do a Brisbane one, include Thurston, Smith, Cronk?

Dave Taylor in-f**king-deed.

Go hard Beave.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
And his mum got to live in Townsville during the glorious period where her sons team got hosed in the GF by the evil team she hates.
Can basically put her on repeat each time there is a derby game "the Cowboys rejected my boy, they then called him a stupid head, gave him an atomic wedgie and reversed over his dog. If they weren't the most evil organization since the nazis party my perfect child wouldn't have a tpa fall out of the crack each team hr squats to take a shit"

Reactions: Vee

davi

Juniors
Hey guys, Cowboys are having a great season and this is not to stir up trouble. But it's always been one of those why didn't Billy Slater end up playing for NQ?

Slater suggests a combination of a late bloomer, decentralised area in North Queensland, and falling through the cracks is why he never got a call up from the Cowboys. He suggest as a junior he never stood out as some other players despite making some local rep teams.

Tim Sheens was coach of the Cowboys at the time but never saw Slater's potential.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/975dc10d67c9200340a428adc5177aac

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Hi guys,

This is not a post to cause trouble, but does anyone think the Cowboys recruitment has been asleep at the wheel? It's just some of their most prominent talent in their own backyard seem to be playing for other teams and have never put on a Cowboys jersey. I ask the question because I'm just curious.

Sam Thaiday – Townsville

Billy Slater – Innisfail

Benny Barba – Mackay

Justin Hodges – Cairns

Dave Taylor - Yeppoon

Billy Slater is the only good player in that list

SBD82

Coach
Brisbane didn't 'miss' Cam Smith, Wayne Bennett tried to sign him but Smith thought he would have a better chance of cracking the starting side as hooker in Melbourne which is why he chose the Storm.
Isn't this a copybook example of missing a player? Tried to sign him and failed?

Latest posts