What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys recrutiment

Shorty

Staff member
Honestly Slater was tiny, talent evaluators are better now but looking at the players in the NRL at the time it would indicate all clubs did it.
Thaiday isn't really special, he plays well for the Broncs because he loves that club, I assume he wouldn't have been nearly as good elsewhere.

I know you're just creating convo but the audacity of a Broncos supporter making a thread about NQ missing talent...I mean how many in our starting side (And Melb's) are Broncos cast offs?

Thanks for them, though lol.

Frankus

Juniors
You'd have to consider that when some of those were teenagers circa late 90s early 2000s the Broncos would have been a far more attractive destination than the Cowboys.

Yeppoon is more Central Qld and it was never NQ territory anyway, although Taylor was from the coalfields but went to school at Yeppoon. Mackay has only become more of a Cowboys area in more recent years when the Cutters joined the Q Cup and affiliated with them. And Slater didn't get signed as a kid. He was a late bloomer if anything due to his jockey work and perceived lack of size. He made his way to the Storm via Brisbane Norths. I remember watching him and not thinking he was anything special. Cronk was the same.
Good post. I believe Clint Amos was also at Norths playing in the centres at the time, Nathan Friend was there too and Inglis was playing as a skinny kid at age 15 or 16 off the bench. Inglis was by far one of the most impressive juniors I have ever seen along with Will Zillman.

Cronk was a RU player and played Aus Schoolboys and was in all likelihood going to continue down that path until he was convinced to play for Norths by one of his teachers who is an ace dickhead. I think he played one season of league with Souths Acacia Ridge when he was 13-14.

All of these kids along with JT (Souths Sunnybank) and Smith (St Pauls/Logan Brothers) played juniors in Brisbane and where were the Broncos to snap them up (some of them under contract though).

Griffoshark66

First Grade
All clubs miss players. I'm sure seeing Scott put Addo-Carr away the other night made most Sharks fans wonder what if... On the other hand it made me happy that they carved the donkeys up.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
When fensom was playing nsw cup last year do you think he'd imagine being 80 minutes away from a premiership this year?

DeeJ

Bench
To be fair to the clubs that missed out on Slater in his juniors, he always played in the halves and they probably weren't impressed with his trademark passes over the sideline.

beave

Coach
I think a few of their fans would have been like this last Saturday night.

yb0fhUfLTMEmZEh-vIhjzTcSNdRAuomt90Y1AFVgGw2HUfamvRUJcKgpvBqQ7WtBBaFHGaOTdZyuQLeZ-wPQN_WER12m6ehOHTRYHcw=w399-h368-nc

Latest posts