What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys robbed clear as day

Allo

Juniors
To lose in this way is displeasing to say the least.
I also would have been embarrassed to of won in the way Manly did. If Foran told me the sky was blue I'd have to double check it and I'd still be skeptical that it was.
What is done is done and nothing is going to change that.
What really pisses me off is that these video refs will get a week off and be back next week. They will probably enjoy their week off and when this all blows over not learn a thing from it.
Sack them I say.
A whole season of effort from the Cowboys is gone.
I wish I could say you deserved the win Manly, but it's not your fault we have Tweedledee and Tweedledum in the box.

bulldog

Bench
Hollywood Bill says the refs followed "the process" correctly to come to the wrong decision, so "the process" is obviously flawed, but what is "the process" exactly?

How many of our refs would have made the same decision?

Something is seriously wrong and it's not improving.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
To lose in this way is displeasing to say the least.
I also would have been embarrassed to of won in the way Manly did. If Foran told me the sky was blue I'd have to double check it and I'd still be skeptical that it was.
What is done is done and nothing is going to change that.
What really pisses me off is that these video refs will get a week off and be back next week. They will probably enjoy their week off and when this all blows over not learn a thing from it.
Sack them I say.
A whole season of effort from the Cowboys is gone.
I wish I could say you deserved the win Manly, but it's not your fault we have Tweedledee and Tweedledum in the box.

What a stupid post. You would have been embarrassed to have wont he way Manly did? While there were some shocking decision, Manly were clearly the better team.

firechild

First Grade
Hollywood Bill says the refs followed "the process" correctly to come to the wrong decision, so "the process" is obviously flawed, but what is "the process" exactly?

How many of our refs would have made the same decision?

Something is seriously wrong and it's not improving.

The process is simply to make things as complex and confusing as possible so that they always have an out in case they monumentally f**k up like they did on Friday night.

Charlie124

First Grade
What a stupid post. You would have been embarrassed to have wont he way Manly did? While there were some shocking decision, Manly were clearly the better team.

I keep reading this "manly were the better team" or "the better team won" and its complete bullshit. Manly were given 10 points that they clearly shouldnt have had, given. You think they were playing better footy, ok but at the end of the day it was still 12 points all when these decisions were made. No matter how much better you feel Manly were playing, the scores were still level. But after those decisions the Cowboys whole game changed, they were trying hail mary plays and pushing passes that wouldnt have been thrown if the scores were level like they should have been. Anything could have happened, but instead, that was all taken away from us.

As for the non-penalty that led to Wintersteins try, I agree that it should have been a penalty to Manly (im sure everyone does) but at the end of the day Manly still had an opportunity to defend and prevent those points being scored, we didnt get that chance. We werent given those 6 points, we were given a chance to score them via an incorrect call by the on field referee, and 3 or 4 tackles later we did. That doesnt make it right, the call should have gone the other way, but at least there was a chance for Manly to right that wrong. Its kind of like the penalty against Hall for Manlys first try, should have been 30 more like it if it were refereed consistently, but at least there was an opportunity for us to defend it.

Anyway, at the end of the day its cost us our season and sacking video refs and complaining about it wont get us anywhere, but hopefully it just applies more and more pressure to the powers that be to do something about the diabolical standard of referees we have in our game at the moment.

firechild

First Grade
As for the non-penalty that led to Wintersteins try, I agree that it should have been a penalty to Manly (im sure everyone does) but at the end of the day Manly still had an opportunity to defend and prevent those points being scored, we didnt get that chance. We werent given those 6 points, we were given a chance to score them via an incorrect call by the on field referee, and 3 or 4 tackles later we did. That doesnt make it right, the call should have gone the other way, but at least there was a chance for Manly to right that wrong. Its kind of like the penalty against Hall for Manlys first try, should have been 30 more like it if it were refereed consistently, but at least there was an opportunity for us to defend it.

No chance of defending the forward pass that put Winterstein over though so suck it up and enjoy the off season.

Do players usually tell the ref they think they've knocked it on?

Or would every single other player in the nrl done the same thing as Kieran Foran?

gUt

Coach
If people want to tally the Graham strip dud call against another shite call that lead to points, balance it with the Hall penalty at the start of the game. Much fairer comparison seeing as both defending sides still had a chance to defend the baffling, incorrect decision and didn't. Thurston's pass wasn't forward imo too.

ceagle

Bench
Why aren't people blowing up about the forward pass for Winterstein's try? Just watching the replay again and can't believe they missed it and the commentators said nothing.

http://www.nrl.com/TelstraPremiership/MatchCentre/tabid/10999/Default.aspx#matchid=3275&tab=Video

My cousin pointed out to me that all the attention is on the double movement in that try, but by time the ball hits the ground his foot is in touch. I think he's right.

His feet never go into touch, watch it again.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
The good thing is that the refs bosses are now rightly getting flamed.

Stu Raper - talk about jobs for the boys. He's a buffoon (with a hot wife).

Harrigan is cancer. Autocrat with an out of control ego and no man management skills at all.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
I keep reading this "manly were the better team" or "the better team won" and its complete bullshit. Manly were given 10 points that they clearly shouldnt have had, given. You think they were playing better footy, ok but at the end of the day it was still 12 points all when these decisions were made. No matter how much better you feel Manly were playing, the scores were still level. But after those decisions the Cowboys whole game changed, they were trying hail mary plays and pushing passes that wouldnt have been thrown if the scores were level like they should have been. Anything could have happened, but instead, that was all taken away from us.

Anyway, at the end of the day its cost us our season and sacking video refs and complaining about it wont get us anywhere, but hopefully it just applies more and more pressure to the powers that be to do something about the diabolical standard of referees we have in our game at the moment.

At the end of the day it may have cost your season.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Why aren't people blowing up about the forward pass for Winterstein's try? Just watching the replay again and can't believe they missed it and the commentators said nothing.

The one that leveled up the scores? No way was that forward mate

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

http://www.nrl.com/TelstraPremiership/MatchCentre/tabid/10999/Default.aspx#matchid=3275&tab=Video

His feet never go into touch, watch it again.

IMO that was still a double movement. All of the talk from the refs was about momentum carrying him over the line, which would be fine if he'd kept the ball and his arm in the same position as when he grounded it short, but he promoted the football with his other hand.

firechild

First Grade
Watch the side view. The ball touches the line before he is rolled over but the view is obstructed by the corner post. Benefit of the doubt is the right call there.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

Joker's Wild

Coach
IMO that was still a double movement. All of the talk from the refs was about momentum carrying him over the line, which would be fine if he'd kept the ball and his arm in the same position as when he grounded it short, but he promoted the football with his other hand.

The tip of the ball touched the line before he made the 2nd movement mate. It was a fair try

Sackyhack

Juniors
Pretty much what a lot of other people are saying but here's my 2cents (there might be 3c worth here):

Can we please stop this (especially Sydney media) cop-out of stating that 'the better team won' on Friday night. I would tend to agree if our game went for 60mins; however, as we have been thrillingly reminded all year; the result is often not decided until the 80mins is up (and sometimes even beyond that). No-one who knows anything about footy, or is still in-touch with how our game is played, should be saying there was a better team on Friday night; we were all robbed of knowing due to inept officiating.

Much was said in the lead up about how strongly Manly has been starting over the past few months; exactly what we saw in the first 25mins. There was almost as much talk about how the Cowboys can start a bit slower but hit their straps later in the game. Again, we saw this in the last 15mins of the first half, and the first 10mins of the second. While Manly's defense was holding solidly, the Cowboys were building up pressure with superior kicks and meters up the middle by the big men. The game was then over! The Cowboys were denied the chance to compete fairly in the game for the full 80mins. They had chances later in the game, but the effect of the inexplicably bad decisions made against them was exactly the reason why they played panicky and rushed towards the end; it was a result caused outside of the influence of how both teams played the game.

"But the Cows got a few calls their way also!". I agree, and most notably the missed 'strip' which led to the second try. However, that refereeing blunder resulted in nothing more than improved field position for the Cowboys; they still had to put in plenty of work to score the try. In terms of Rugby League karma, the ledger for this was squared up when the Manly in-goal grounding was not called by the officials; which in turn should have resulted in a line drop out and good field position for the Cowboys (most likely in almost exactly the same spot as the stripped ball wasn't called). On the flip side, the two calls going against the Cowboys resulted directly in points; 10 of them, the exact scoreline difference at the end of the game.

"I agree with the Benefit of the Doubt for the double movement!" You don't know footy! The ball and carrying arm had lost momentum after being planted well before the line; there was a definite 2nd effort with the carrying arm, not to mention the other arm also coming over to assist in promoting the ball.

I don't think there has been any defending of the last try (except maybe by Mr Foran), so there's no need to touch on it. So we should be at 12 all, and 20mins to go, with one team asking a lot of questions; but the other team answering them; who will crack first? We were all robbed a potentially nail bitting finish, with the victor being all the more satisfied for the win (and much better prepared for Melbourne in a week).

But instead we are left with everyone (except maybe a few Manly fans) up in arms about the state of the game, newspaper headlines highlighting the deficiencies in our game, accusations of lying and questions around players integrity, more division in our game in which we are trying to get crowd levels up by encouraging the public to come along even though their team is not playing, not to mention the hampered preparation for a Manly side which I fear may now end up as a mere speed bump for Melbourne on their way to the GF.

For the media, consisting mainly of ex-players and so-called RL experts; to be sitting around and attempt to justify the result with comments like "the better team won"; does nothing but spit in the face of RL fans (not to mention the punters) who want to see the best of the best go at it; without any ridiculous external influences affecting the result. But more importantly, it takes away some of the sting and pressure we need to be applying to the powers that be, to fix the problems. When I hear "Yes they got it wrong, but it didn't affect the result anyway"; just says to me that maybe it's not so bad. What a joke! Lets ask the NSW Blues if it's not so bad! Let's ask the Tiger's, who sit only 2 points outside the top 8 if it's not so bad!

In our 2 top comps; Premiership and Origin; we've had some of the closest competitions in recent history, and both have been severely let down by these poor decisions. To the point where I feel the history books should just place a asterix next to 2012 for all things Rugby League (7* in a row, doesn't quite have the same effect as 7 in a row - does it?). Time for the commission to stop patting themselves on the back about the no-brainer decisions they have made thus far, and really step up and justify their existence by taking a hard line on this and getting it sorted. Having the refs come out and say "yes we got it wrong, sorry we'll try better next time" just isn't good enough; having them sit out for a week or two only to come back and make crucial errors again just isn't good enough.

Can we please (Bosses, officials, media) stop ruining our game. If it keeps up, we might as well all give it away; we can all just go down to the local and watch someone flip a coin for 80mins.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
You've set yourself a high standard with that first post fella.

Summed things up beautifully, which has been difficult for us emotionally drained NQ supporters to do.

Latest posts