What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys robbed clear as day

firechild

First Grade
"I agree with the Benefit of the Doubt for the double movement!" You don't know footy! The ball and carrying arm had lost momentum after being planted well before the line; there was a definite 2nd effort with the carrying arm, not to mention the other arm also coming over to assist in promoting the ball.

Sorry but you lost all credibility there. There was millimeters in it at worst before Taufua was rolled over. The side on view shows that there is every possibility the ball touched the line before that occurred and therefore benefit of the doubt is the correct call even before you look at what happened after he was rolled on his back.

STORM.99/07

Bench
Lets all just move on folks..game has been decided and nothing is going to change. except that simpkins has been given the boot for this week so all is not lost.

Sackyhack

Juniors
Lets all just move on folks..game has been decided and nothing is going to change. except that simpkins has been given the boot for this week so all is not lost.

My point exactly - we shouldn't move on, or nothing is going to change. NSW shouldn't move on, Cows shouldn't move on. Pressure needs to be applied until something is done.

On a positive note, few good things to come out of this:

1. If the NRL is smart, it will setup game 1 in Townsville vs. Manly (or at least send the Cows/Manly to Townsville for Rivalry round).

2. Keeps the hatred between NSW and QLD strong.

3. Keep the hatred between Manly and everyone else strong - because who doesn't love to hate Manly (I even think the Silvertails get a kick out of being loathed anyway)

Sackyhack

Juniors
The Cowboys rivalry should be with the Refs not Manly

Not a bad idea - maybe even a Cowboys Fans Vs Refs exhibition match.

I think the Cows/Manly rivalry is still valid though; they're starting to develop a habit of knocking NQ out of the comp. Plus Cowboys don't really have too many true rivalries yet; except maybe the Tigers due to 2005; and I guess the Roosters 2004 (that one is probably chalked up to the Refs also).

It seems the one strong rivalry the Cows have is with Finals Footy.

Billybob

Juniors
Yeah I agree

the rivalry should be with the refs (wonder who the video refs will be for the Test match in Townsville, might want to avoid the place )

I don't like the fact that halfback came out and said he didn't touch it,
would have done more for him and the game overall to say " yeah I hit it , I can't believe they gave it to us"

at the end of the day manly play whats in front of them as did the cowboys

the better more consistent team won on the day, its just a shame this is all everyone talks about now

It shook the cowboys after they thought they had been had twice and
would never recover from that ( they would have been pissed)

My opinion is the first one was a try, I saw the ball touch the line before Jorge GETS rolled over by Tate - so i am happy with that

Any way "Lets Go SE QLD Storm !!!!" (alot of NQ juniors in that team)

firechild

First Grade
Yeah I agree

the rivalry should be with the refs (wonder who the video refs will be for the Test match in Townsville, might want to avoid the place )

I don't like the fact that halfback came out and said he didn't touch it,
would have done more for him and the game overall to say " yeah I hit it , I can't believe they gave it to us"

at the end of the day manly play whats in front of them as did the cowboys

the better more consistent team won on the day, its just a shame this is all everyone talks about now

It shook the cowboys after they thought they had been had twice and
would never recover from that ( they would have been pissed)

My opinion is the first one was a try, I saw the ball touch the line before Jorge GETS rolled over by Tate - so i am happy with that

Any way "Lets Go SE QLD Storm !!!!" (alot of NQ juniors in that team)

Agree with all that and a good post from a NQ fan. However, it is entirely possible that Foran didn't realise he touched the ball. Photos (or even worse, still frames of film) show fingertips at most on the ball. I have no doubt he touched it but most of the contact was made with the back of Thurston's hand and in the split second it took, he may not have been able to discern the difference between what was hand and what was ball. He may honestly believe he didn't touch the ball based on what he felt. I'm sure that would have been the last thing he was thinking about when he made the play, it mattered little to him whether he pushed the ball back or whether he forced Thurston's hand to achieve the same result.

Charlie124

First Grade
Pretty much what a lot of other people are saying but here's my 2cents (there might be 3c worth here):

Can we please stop this (especially Sydney media) cop-out of stating that 'the better team won' on Friday night. I would tend to agree if our game went for 60mins; however, as we have been thrillingly reminded all year; the result is often not decided until the 80mins is up (and sometimes even beyond that). No-one who knows anything about footy, or is still in-touch with how our game is played, should be saying there was a better team on Friday night; we were all robbed of knowing due to inept officiating.

Much was said in the lead up about how strongly Manly has been starting over the past few months; exactly what we saw in the first 25mins. There was almost as much talk about how the Cowboys can start a bit slower but hit their straps later in the game. Again, we saw this in the last 15mins of the first half, and the first 10mins of the second. While Manly's defense was holding solidly, the Cowboys were building up pressure with superior kicks and meters up the middle by the big men. The game was then over! The Cowboys were denied the chance to compete fairly in the game for the full 80mins. They had chances later in the game, but the effect of the inexplicably bad decisions made against them was exactly the reason why they played panicky and rushed towards the end; it was a result caused outside of the influence of how both teams played the game.

"But the Cows got a few calls their way also!". I agree, and most notably the missed 'strip' which led to the second try. However, that refereeing blunder resulted in nothing more than improved field position for the Cowboys; they still had to put in plenty of work to score the try. In terms of Rugby League karma, the ledger for this was squared up when the Manly in-goal grounding was not called by the officials; which in turn should have resulted in a line drop out and good field position for the Cowboys (most likely in almost exactly the same spot as the stripped ball wasn't called). On the flip side, the two calls going against the Cowboys resulted directly in points; 10 of them, the exact scoreline difference at the end of the game.

"I agree with the Benefit of the Doubt for the double movement!" You don't know footy! The ball and carrying arm had lost momentum after being planted well before the line; there was a definite 2nd effort with the carrying arm, not to mention the other arm also coming over to assist in promoting the ball.

I don't think there has been any defending of the last try (except maybe by Mr Foran), so there's no need to touch on it. So we should be at 12 all, and 20mins to go, with one team asking a lot of questions; but the other team answering them; who will crack first? We were all robbed a potentially nail bitting finish, with the victor being all the more satisfied for the win (and much better prepared for Melbourne in a week).

But instead we are left with everyone (except maybe a few Manly fans) up in arms about the state of the game, newspaper headlines highlighting the deficiencies in our game, accusations of lying and questions around players integrity, more division in our game in which we are trying to get crowd levels up by encouraging the public to come along even though their team is not playing, not to mention the hampered preparation for a Manly side which I fear may now end up as a mere speed bump for Melbourne on their way to the GF.

For the media, consisting mainly of ex-players and so-called RL experts; to be sitting around and attempt to justify the result with comments like "the better team won"; does nothing but spit in the face of RL fans (not to mention the punters) who want to see the best of the best go at it; without any ridiculous external influences affecting the result. But more importantly, it takes away some of the sting and pressure we need to be applying to the powers that be, to fix the problems. When I hear "Yes they got it wrong, but it didn't affect the result anyway"; just says to me that maybe it's not so bad. What a joke! Lets ask the NSW Blues if it's not so bad! Let's ask the Tiger's, who sit only 2 points outside the top 8 if it's not so bad!

In our 2 top comps; Premiership and Origin; we've had some of the closest competitions in recent history, and both have been severely let down by these poor decisions. To the point where I feel the history books should just place a asterix next to 2012 for all things Rugby League (7* in a row, doesn't quite have the same effect as 7 in a row - does it?). Time for the commission to stop patting themselves on the back about the no-brainer decisions they have made thus far, and really step up and justify their existence by taking a hard line on this and getting it sorted. Having the refs come out and say "yes we got it wrong, sorry we'll try better next time" just isn't good enough; having them sit out for a week or two only to come back and make crucial errors again just isn't good enough.

Can we please (Bosses, officials, media) stop ruining our game. If it keeps up, we might as well all give it away; we can all just go down to the local and watch someone flip a coin for 80mins.

That is a great first post. Bravo.

I agree that this shouldnt just go away, obviously we arent able to change the result but if there is enough jumping up and down about it, perhaps finally we will see heads roll that should have rolled long ago, and EVERYONE will benefit from that, not just Cowboys fans.

The Eagle

Juniors
3. Keep the hatred between Manly and everyone else strong - because who doesn't love to hate Manly (I even think the Silvertails get a kick out of being loathed anyway)

This is true, Silvertails is more an ironic name than anything, we've been broke since the bears ripped us off cold with that stupid merger

Nice Beaver

First Grade
The reffing was atrocious. 100% agree.

What I can't really cop is this argument that the Cowboys were denied a chance for a grandstand finish.

I understand it to a degree but this no try was scored in the 63rd minute, not the 77th.

Cowboys had 17 minutes to score a couple of tries. Well at least one and then get within the one converted try.

I feel sorry for Cowboys fans. If shoe was on the other foot I would be filthy at the last try. Still did not cost the game.

But as has been pointed out somewhere in this War and Peace effort, its not about the result as such, but the general shit standard of reffing.

Refereeing is terrible this season. Has been getting progressively worse. Not coincidentally since the introduction of that oxygen thief Bill Harrigan.

Get rid of that IDIOT and his offsider and clean this garbage lot of refs up.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
The reffing was atrocious. 100% agree.

What I can't really cop is this argument that the Cowboys were denied a chance for a grandstand finish.

I understand it to a degree but this no try was scored in the 63rd minute, not the 77th.

Cowboys had 17 minutes to score a couple of tries. Well at least one and then get within the one converted try.

I feel sorry for Cowboys fans. If shoe was on the other foot I would be filthy at the last try. Still did not cost the game.

But as has been pointed out somewhere in this War and Peace effort, its not about the result as such, but the general shit standard of reffing.

Refereeing is terrible this season. Has been getting progressively worse. Not coincidentally since the introduction of that oxygen thief Bill Harrigan.

Get rid of that IDIOT and his offsider and clean this garbage lot of refs up.

Its a sad state of affairs when Hollywood Bill is the lesser of two idiots.

Stu Raper isn't fit for a job. Especially this one.

You know what I'd like to see - Gus Gould as the refs coach. And f**k the video ref off. Completely.

Only to be used for Captains Challenge.

The f**king thing is killing the game.

Jimminy

Juniors
From what I've read..

I can live with on field refs missing a strip. It happens countless times and generally doesn't lead directly to tries (it would be checked by blind people). Then..

Physics is a simple thing. For cowboys try in the second half.. It's the (forward) speed of the runner when he passed it vs where it should be when its caught. Surely if hawkeye can follow a tennis ball at 220km/h it can look at two points with regard to the runner's (forward) speed in relation to the time it takes for the pass to get from A to B. Was it a try? I have no idea. I haven't seen the strip or the try. It was 12-12 after I got home from little athletics with the kids.

I can live with Manly's first try in the second half. Seemed like BOTD.

Manly's second try in the second half is simple biology. Whoever the f**k gave that has chicken wings underneath their painted eyes.

I shouldn't be drunk on Monday but I have the week off. Peace out!!

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Haven't read most of the thread but I well remember manly fans going nuts after the tigers/eagles last year when Farah passed to Ayshford a mile forward yet it was allowed. Tigers won by 2. Manly were camped on our line for the last 5-10mins and couldn't score yet apparently the loss was all the refs fault for missing the forward pass.

effnic

Bench
We have been raped more than once in our history but yeah anyway bring up one random one for fun.

effnic

Bench
My dad still wont let go of the 1995 & 1997 gf's. Its funny to hear about how badly we were robbed everytime we start talking footy lol. Ahhhh god love the blindness of the passionate supporters. I gladly inherited the trait.

Disco

Bench
I hate the argument that the Taufua strip doesnt count because Manly had a chance to defend it.

Ridiculous, we shouldn't have been in the position in the first place and therefore who cares if we could defend it or not.

As for Tuafua's Try, its classic benefit of the doubt. You can take the double movement and the sideline right out of it. As it impossible to say that some part of the ball did not touch the line in the first instance.

As for Foran, well that was no try

now lets all move on

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach

The Cowboys had that chance but Tate blew a certain try when he decided to go himself instead of passing to his unmarked winger.

The refs didnt help but thefact is they lost that game all on their own

Sackyhack

Juniors
WOW...Storm's second try :?

I take back all the one-eyed comments made by me regarding Cowboys hard luck, and Manly's fortunes. A bit of perspective goes a long way.

I would like to reiterate all comments re. refs though... x 10.

Looks like we should bite the bullet now, copy and paste this entire thread after running Find and Replace for Manly -> Melbourne & Cowboys -> Manly.

Latest posts