What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys trial

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
Gees Johnny... You seem to have finally allowed reality to sink in. The back pedaling and change of tune is hilarious.

I have said the same thing all along mate.... There are some in our team that don't put it in and that was the problem last year, not the coach!....

I have looked for the positives for 2013, but I am realistic about where our faults are...

I have been vocal against people putting the blame where it doesn't belong.. It's so clear that there are one or two in our side that don't put it in and make the silliest of mistakes ...

Fire

First Grade
I have said the same thing all along mate.... There are some in our team that don't put it in and that was the problem last year, not the coach!....

I have looked for the positives for 2013, but I am realistic about where our faults are...

I have been vocal against people putting the blame where it doesn't belong.. It's so clear that there are one or two in our side that don't put it in and make the silliest of mistakes ...

I agree, to an extent. The sooner we move those on who won it in 2010, the better we will be in my opinion.

They gave me one of the best days of my life, but some of them aren't hungry anymore.

Concerning the trials, who gives a f**k.

gorilla

First Grade
The first trial has only ever been treated as a chance to try new players.
The only trial worth looking at is the charity shield (souffs gf). It will be much closer to what we'll see in Round 1.

And, is it not our first trial against Nth Qld's second trial ?

_Johnsy

Referee
It was a TRIAL against a side that many "experts" expect to finish top 4.

Nothing but positives reading the reports IMO.

Rex Terp

First Grade
Top four side wiithout Thurston, Bowen, Tate and Linnett..

We were ok in patches and yes it was a trial, but I wouldn't be drawing any conclusions
either way.

inside_pass

Bench
I worry about our forward pack.I know Weyman and Hunt are coming back but the way the Cowboy's rolled over us in the first 20 minutes they monstered our pack and it just seemed to easy.
We were cracked up the middle a few times as well when they ran from dummy half but maybe that had to do with the heat and being the first game and no match fitness.

p.s.
In regards to Matt Prior,if he never plays for the saints again I will be happy!

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I agree, to an extent. The sooner we move those on who won it in 2010, the better we will be in my opinion.

They gave me one of the best days of my life, but some of them aren't hungry anymore.

Concerning the trials, who gives a f**k.

Good call. We were making it all of last year too. Last year was a wasted year and its put us behind the 8 ball.

Play the kids until they need a spell. If they are good enough, they'll cope.

Rebuild requires more cleaning out at the end of this year.

We need to be pragmatic, but not melodramatic like certain types in here.

Breathingfire

Juniors
Good call. We were making it all of last year too. Last year was a wasted year and its put us behind the 8 ball.

You know it appears that the 2010 guys are not hungry anymore and I think that is a real shame. You look at a side like Melbourne and they look hungry week in week out year in year out. What is our excuse for not wanting it bad? The drive to get that elated feeling back and pride in jumper should be more than enough ammunition to succeed again!

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
I think overall the people who are saying, don't read much into it, didn't see the game.... As I have said, yes it was a trial but

It was the same mistakes the same players were making last year....

That is the concerning point...

There were some positives from a trial perspective .... As noted, but I am concerned about a couple of the guys!

You only have to look at Manchester United,they turn their roster over quite heavily every year to maintain the hunger regardless of a players profile, maybe the dragons should follow this model.

big pat

Coach
You only have to look at Manchester United,they turn their roster over quite heavily every year to maintain the hunger regardless of a players profile, maybe the dragons should follow this model.

this is very true, but they can buy and sell players on a whim, if it happened here, how much do you think price could sell prior for.

Cagey Mac

Bench

Motivation and inspiration has also a lot to do with captain and coach and the team's leadership group. Bennett was about giving the players a sense of unity, of working for each other, of cameraderie.

Price came from a background of working with younger players with less experience. Though it may rile some for me to say, I'm advised that it was thought that Hornby seemed more self-interested in 2012 than in the past. Gasnier was also a team talker and motivator who left the club.

2012 saw a more disparate group under a new coach. Now Young is also gone and much will fall to Creagh, Weyman, Soward or some new mentor to galvanise spirits and determination.

Going to be interesting.

Mr Red

First Grade

so its still the coaches fault..
if there are players as you say that arent putting in on the field why would Price keep selecting them each week?
the coaches responsibility is to address any problems with morale, form or motivation and clearly last season there were players who seem to lose form and motivation at different times of the season, and Price seemed to be inable to resolve this..
Bennett was a true people person, i dont think Price has the same ability needed for first grade at this point in time

Firey_Dragon

Coach

Fantastic approach, with one minor detail... Salary cap.

Retention is a huge cost saving exercise, you always need to pay more than the club where a player resides to lure over an in demand player. If you had high roster turnover, you'd end up with a pretty poorly balanced squad.

They aren't even remotely comparable in terms of squad management. One has a virtually endless budget, the other has a tight budget that is the same as every other team in the comp.

jenninga

First Grade

It is the coach's problem.Good coaches will improve a players game.eg Beau Scott under Bennett rarely gave away stupid penalties and those stupid offloads he was known to do regularly before and started again last season.Look what Hasler did last season with virtually the same mob as the year before.
It is obvious that Price cannot improve certain players game,so the buck stops with Price.

Latest posts